You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 06:29:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James  (Read 30250 times)

Offline DamnedangelTopic starter

Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »
So today I started to read a book called Fifty Shades of Gray after a friend of mine recommended it. To be honest I didn't do any research on it and when I got to around chapter 4 or 5 the twist completely shocked me! I mean I'm not one to read these type of books I'm more of a horror woman but damn!!!!!!! I'm sitting here bright red as I read this book, its one of those that once you begin reading you cannot put down. It is the first of trilogy and I cannot wait to finish the first book and get the other two!

So here is a summary on the Fifty Shades of Gray:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Just a little quote that I found quite amuzing and made me chuckle hehe ;) 
"How would you like your egg?" I ask tartly. He smiles. "Thoroughly whisked and beaten" he smirks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:05:28 AM by Damnedangel »

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
Umm...  For the legions of us who haven't even started yet could you spoiler it please?

Offline jouzinka

• Elf                            Guardian of the Blind Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken. Law, Hîr nín, ú dollen i Rîw…
  • Lady
  • Addict
  • The E mantra: Sip, swallow, scroll, sip, swallow..
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:07 AM »
Thank you for the recommendation, Damnedangel. It looks like a great story to read. :-) *adds on her reading list*

Offline Torch

• Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain/Trieste's sarcasm buddy
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • "Soul meets soul on lovers' lips." P.B. Shelley
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Eh, it's been done before...and better.

See "The Story of O".

I don't get all the hoopla over "Fifty Shades". It's as if people have never seen written erotica before.  ::)

Offline Star Safyre

• Mrs. Fyre or, if you're slightly more daring, O Captain my Captain.
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
I don't know if I could get into it knowing that it started as fanfiction (Twilight fanfic, for what it's worth) and has since had the serial numbers filed off for legal publication.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »
"How would you like your egg?" I ask tartly. He smiles. "Thoroughly whisked and beaten" he smirks.

The structure, it burns us. We feel pain.

Seriously though, why would you follow up "he smiles" with dialogue tagged "he smirks?" Aside from smirking not being a means of speech...

Yeah, I'll give it a pass.

Offline Silverfyre

• Mr. Fyre, or if you're slightly more daring, oh Silver my Silver.
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Once more, with gusto.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
Even the character names burn.  Ow.

But hey, if you enjoy it, awesome.  I do echo the recommendation for "The Story of O". 

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
I don't know if I could get into it knowing that it started as fanfiction (Twilight fanfic, for what it's worth) and has since had the serial numbers filed off for legal publication.

That almost makes it worth getting in an 'Eye of Argos' sort of way.  (For those unfamiliar, Eye of Argos is probably the worst piece of fantasy fiction written to date.  There used to be a casual competition at science fiction conventions where people would see how far they could read before breaking out in laughter.)

But only if it's being distributed on blue mimeograph sheets.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:28:47 AM »
Hm. I bet I could win a competition like that. Reading bad writing just makes me groan and/or tear up, as a rule, not laugh.

Though I might still have to stop reading before some people laughed reading it, I guess. You can only read terribad for so long, after all.

Offline rustytiger

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
Read it, have read been reading lots of erotica stuff lately so it's not that juicy. Hate the main character reminds me of bella from twilight. It's an ok book and some how addicting but only because I want Christan to turn Ana into a dirty slut bag begging for sexy on her knees. >.>

I have read better books but somethings you need bad ones to make the good ones seem better and more amazing.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
Hate the main character reminds me of bella from twilight.

That's not entirely a mere 'passing resemblance'. 

Online Ashleebabe

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
See I read the Triology and agree that I have read more 'mature' literature however I enjoyed the depth the characters actually had compared to Twilight. It was strangely addciting and kind of funny in many ways.

Offline Darius

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
Someone gifted me with the audiobook.

I've been listening to it in chapter installments near the end of my day at work. The woman reading it is hilarious - though I'm not sure she means to be.

Offline Star Safyre

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
Someone gifted me with the audiobook.

I've been listening to it in chapter installments near the end of my day at work. The woman reading it is hilarious - though I'm not sure she means to be.

50 Shades of Grey the Audiobook, read by Gilbert Gottfried

Does she sound better than this?

Offline Shjade

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
I laughed at that far more than I should have.

Offline Star Safyre

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
Nothing like Gilbert Gottfried shouting about fisting to brighten your day.  ;D

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
Thank you.  Thank you for that.  I've made Mr. Oniya almost fall out of his seat.  (Or should I say he 'almost had a h'at attack and DIED from dat...')  He's got one heck of a Rule 34 image in his head.  It involves Jasmine.

Offline Darius

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Does she sound better than this?

Damn.. anything sounds better than Gilbert. Though I did enjoy Ellen's rendition.... "Ohhh not the pancakes"

Offline Iniquitous

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
I tried to read 50sog. I really did. I made it - alright, I forced myself - through chapter one and had to stop. I wanted to shove red hot pokers through my eyes. Or better yet through the Ana's eyes. Cutting her tongue out would have been nice as well. I've also been contemplating smacking my friend who recommended I read it upside the head with the book. I didn't find out till after I distanced myself from the book that this originally started out as Master of the Universe online and was a fanfic based off Twilight. That explained soooo very much - like why I absolutely despised Ana. I cannot blame SMeyers for the horrible prose, that lays squarely on E.L. James' shoulders.

I do have some serious issues with these books though on top of the lackluster sex, the one dimensional characters, the prose, the fact that I wanted the characters to choke to death and then spontaneously erupt into flames.

Primarily the way James writes about BDSM. She presents it as if it is something that a person needs to be cured of. That someone interested in BDSM is broken and needs to be saved. I mean, just... ughs. I skimmed through enough of the first book to know that this woman has absolutely NO idea about BDSM and I will not be reading the other two books. I mean - the contract to keep Ana from talking to anyone?? The way he took her virginity?? The ripping the tampon out to shove himself in?? Just... shoot me. Besides, I suspect that I know how it will end - Ana will 'save' Grey from his need for BDSM and they'll live happily ever after.  >:(

The fact that this is being bought by a movie studio and turned into a movie makes me want to bash my head into a wall. Or hurriedly regurgitate some erotica and get it published so I can be a millionaire. I mean, hell - if SMeyers and EL James can be published and get movie deals than I am pretty damn confident that I can.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:25:14 PM by Iniquitous Opheliac »

Offline Will

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
So this book is in first person, present tense?  That's an... interesting choice.  Are there any other well-known novels written from that POV?

Also, this boggles my mind.

O.o

Offline SinXAzgard21

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
So this book is in first person, present tense?  That's an... interesting choice.  Are there any other well-known novels written from that POV?

Also, this boggles my mind.

O.o

-sighs-

How does trash like this get published.  I mean really.

And this is becoming a movie... 

Offline Will

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
They're going to make a movie out of a book full of sex?  Creative camera angles and fade-to-black can get you through a couple of sex scenes in a movie, but as I understand it, there's quite a bit of fucking in Fifty Shades.  And in some detail, too (although the detail seems to stop once the vagina comes into the picture. :P).  Keeping an R rating would be a hell of a feat.

Offline Tumult

• ~The Bestest Girl Anachronism You Ever Did See~
  • Lady
  • Bacchae
  • This passion is a plagiarism.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »

One of my favorite authors writes in first person. It's weird at first but once I got into it, it was hard to put the book down. Any of her books. If anyone is curious, the author is Diana Gabaldon and reading her 'Outlandish' series is well worth it.

As for this book, I've read samples and I'm really not impressed.

Offline Will

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
Yeah, I've read a handful of books in first person.  The Kushiel's books by Jacqueline Carey, for example.  I think it's the present tense that really throws me off.  And the combination of the two gives it a really strange feel. : /

Offline Tumult

• ~The Bestest Girl Anachronism You Ever Did See~
  • Lady
  • Bacchae
  • This passion is a plagiarism.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Yeah, I've read a handful of books in first person.  The Kushiel's books by Jacqueline Carey, for example.  I think it's the present tense that really throws me off.  And the combination of the two gives it a really strange feel. : /

True to that. Probably one of the reasons why reading a bit of Fifty Shades was so weird for me. Also, Kushiel's books are amazing.