You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 11:20:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Remove the pan/bisexual options? (and general discussion)  (Read 844 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Remove the pan/bisexual options? (and general discussion)
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Given the discussion here: http://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=49765.0

It was pointed out that andro/gyno/etc. refer specifically to an attraction to a specific gender, not necessarily to the exclusion of others. To describe yourself as heterosexual, for example, you would check one and specifically avoid the others.

This also makes bisexual/pansexual sortof a moot point. A bisexual would check both andro- and gyno- boxes, for example. Removing these would also simplify building a search matrix when comparing people, so I am rather leaning towards the idea. Simplifying both in terms of being faster to write and faster to run searches.

But I'm also interested in what people's thoughts are. I realize it's a bit confusing and for a few people a bit jarring.

So, thoughts/commentary/

Offline Saffron

• ღ Your Designer Drug ღ Myobi's Hither and Thither Girl ღ
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: ღ I would have you, right here on this desk, until you begged for mercy twice. ღ
  • ღ Twice. ღ
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Remove the pan/bisexual options? (and general discussion)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
I would prefer if the option for bisexual/pansexual was left as an option. I think that rather than andro/gyno, it may be easier to have 'hetero' and 'homo' as the options. Straight people can be straight, Gay people can be gay, Bi can be Bi, Pan can be Pan, etc. It seems to me like you're complicating it way more than it needs to be. It was fine the way it was the first time, but checkboxes would've been better than radio buttons.

It seems like these 'check here' O/Os are slowly taking over the actual creativity and writing of an O/O page, where you can describe more in-depth about what types of characters/sexualities you play.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
Kip suggested to remove the various 'sexual' terms and just have 'attracted to'. I think I'm going to ditch this as the bitching has already reached a certain keen. "When will the search be ready? Why are there checkboxes? I'm neither male nor female, how do I get represented? This is all too complex, why not hetero and homosexual?"

... -_-

Offline grdell

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
It is complex... but then, so is human sexuality. There are many different ways to represent things, all of them basically arbitrary.

I say pick one system and stick with it. Nothing's going to be perfect, and nothing's going to satisfy every eventuality. Besides, isn't this just meant to be something of a guideline, anyway? It's not meant to be the end-all, be-all definition of a person's sexuality, right?

Or am I missing the point?

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »
I've voted to leave the options because removing them would not help.  It would only penalize those who see the value in them and would use them.

I don't now, nor did I ever, want anything removed.  I simply want the ability to described my characters as I see them and not a someone tells me I must.  I want to be considered on the same level as everyone else.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
I want something simple, inclusive, and powerful (for searching). It's a 'pick two' sort of thing, but I think I've got a way to simplify it a bit further. Will be posting a new version shortly.

Offline Gadifriald

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right thread or the one I clicked the link in is but I do have some thoughts. It seems like there was an oversight on the consideration of people's familiarity and comfort with terms applied to something that is very fundemental, their sexuality. Many define their characters by themselves and are familiar with the term heterosexual to define themselves and their characters. The same can be said with the terms bisexual and pansexual which are familiar and known to most people. To replace familiar terms with obscure terms that most are unfamiliar with can cause confusion and discomfort for members who are in and of themselves heterosexual, bisexual and pansexual.
Gynosexual and androsexual are unfimiliar terms to most people (including myself) while heterosexual, bisexual and pansexual are familiar terms that people are comfortable with.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
I've replaced the -sexual terms with something that I hope people will find simpler. This is also a lot easier for me to build a default search filter with, so if this removes some confusion and simplifies things, so much the better.

Offline grdell

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
I like it.

But why can't I edit my own?

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
You edit them here: http://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php :-p

Editing straight from your profile... I'll put that in as something for next software version >_>

Offline alxnjsh

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
I like it.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
I was going to edit things to mine and make changes, but it isn't any longer working; well the little box checking thingies.  >.> Not sure if you were adjusting it again or something.

Offline Kip

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
I was going to edit things to mine and make changes, but it isn't any longer working; well the little box checking thingies.  >.> Not sure if you were adjusting it again or something.

Just checked mine and tried making changes and it saved them.  Try clearing your cookies and restarting your browser and see if it resolves.

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »

Oh. You need to shift + refresh as I had updated the javascript. Or wait an hour >_> Sorry.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »
I went ahead with Veskeid's suggestion and it works fine now. Thanks for the help from both of you though, I keep forgetting the issue I have to thoroughly refresh or wait for things to come into effect.

Offline Cythieus

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:23 AM »
I say leave them really.