Fracturing the Shoutbox

Started by Vekseid, July 25, 2009, 03:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Karma


Chevalier des Poissons

As long as you don't kick my balls, go ahead =X
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Valerian

None of that for me.  Unless it's cricket, my uncoordinated self is staying out of it.


What I'm most curious about now, though, is how it might change the look of things.  Would both shoutboxes be visible at the same time?  Or would we have to switch from one to the other?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Marguerite

Soccer or rugby is my love.

-Smiles-
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Kurzyk

Quote from: Karma on July 29, 2009, 01:42:52 PM
I prefer kickballs.

That scares the hell out of me Karma. *laughs*

Maeven

Quote from: Valerian on July 29, 2009, 01:44:35 PM
What I'm most curious about now, though, is how it might change the look of things.  Would both shoutboxes be visible at the same time?  Or would we have to switch from one to the other?

I was actually wondering that myself. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 


The Cardinal Rule

Chevalier des Poissons

Well, that is easy. There could be tabs, mirc-style. One would be 'open SB' and the other would be 'Members only'.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Oniya

^ What he said.  One of the things that new members would see on approval would be that extra tab. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Desan

Hmm... so this would be like the Ellounge on IRC..

I might have to stop by the SB more often to see how well this works...
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.


Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Oniya on July 29, 2009, 01:50:41 PM
^ What he said.  One of the things that new members would see on approval would be that extra tab.

I know, I am a genius, I always have good ideas.

Now I have to come up with some idea that makes me stop getting banned from the SB D=
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Karma

Yeah, like the Lounge... but without the extracurricular activities. :P

Haibane

Quote from: Desan on July 29, 2009, 01:57:38 PM
Hmm... so this would be like the Ellounge on IRC...
Which begs the (probably posed numerous times before) question, why not bin the SB and use IRC where we already have this useful non-members/members rooms distinction? And where if people want to get more-than-flirty they can go right ahead and set up a room of their own?

Kip

Quote from: Haibane on July 29, 2009, 04:25:39 PM
Which begs the (probably posed numerous times before) question, why not bin the SB and use IRC where we already have this useful non-members/members rooms distinction? And where if people want to get more-than-flirty they can go right ahead and set up a room of their own?

If it's up on the main page, that'd work for me - if I have to keep on going back to a separate window, I'd not follow along as well.

Part of the appeal of the SB to me is that I can look at it every time I shift in the site, not have to remember to check if conversation has moved on or not.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Dakota

Quote from: Kip on July 29, 2009, 04:44:06 PM
If it's up on the main page, that'd work for me - if I have to keep on going back to a separate window, I'd not follow along as well.

Part of the appeal of the SB to me is that I can look at it every time I shift in the site, not have to remember to check if conversation has moved on or not.

agreed, having to switch back and forth is just too much of a pain in the ass

Haibane

It's just a second tab on your browser. Is it that much effort? Wow...

Marguerite

A second tab which sucks up memory on my laptop, thank you very much. IRC and SB suck sixty to seventy percent and while I am fine with a second SB, how much memory and load will it take on the site?
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Dakota

Quite a bit, whereas we would even need a second shoutbox an extra 'room' if thats what you want to call it can be added to the existing one, its easy enough

Ket

Not everyone is adept at multitasking.  Also, like Marg pointed out, certain programs suck memory, especially slowing down those who have less memory in their machines to begin with.

While I like the idea of a members only SB in addition to the one we have, I'm wondering if it won't begin to limit the interaction of new people who come up there to ask questions/hang out. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord, ketling
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Dakota

I don't think that would happen ket, people would flick between them, plus since i've been here i've noticed several members that are dedicated to the 'non member area's on the forum, i'm sure they would also keep the non members sb occupied

Karma

I really don't think members only is the way to go... but then, following the general PG-13 rule, an R/X board would have to be hidden anyway, and have the same result. Hm.

While I wouldn't say there'd be no diminishing in the normal SB's activity, I don't think it would go dead by any means.

Bliss

This seems to have gotten missed in discussion...

Quote from: Haibane on July 29, 2009, 04:25:39 PM
Which begs the (probably posed numerous times before) question, why not bin the SB and use IRC where we already have this useful non-members/members rooms distinction? And where if people want to get more-than-flirty they can go right ahead and set up a room of their own?

Well, one major reason would be that the SB is something on our own servers, in our own demense, and therefor entirely under our jurisdiction, whereas the IRC, though sporting the extant functionality you mentioned, is on servers belonging to someone else - and therefore far less easy to effectively administrate.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Haibane

Quote from: Bliss on July 29, 2009, 08:03:42 PM
This seems to have gotten missed in discussion...

Well, one major reason would be that the SB is something on our own servers, in our own demense, and therefor entirely under our jurisdiction, whereas the IRC, though sporting the extant functionality you mentioned, is on servers belonging to someone else - and therefore far less easy to effectively administrate.
Ah. Right. Could an IRC style facility (whether browser based or IRC-client based) be added to E or are we talking silly amounts of money and/or bandwidth to do that? The layout of IRC really lends itself well to the sort environment people seem to want and gets the rude stuff off into private rooms fast.

Kip

Quote from: Haibane on July 29, 2009, 07:45:49 PM
It's just a second tab on your browser. Is it that much effort? Wow...

It's not an effort at all as such - easy to add to what I'm doing....

But I typically have many browser tabs and windows open - I'm often doing study, family work stuff, emailling people, etc, etc as well as socialising and RPing on E.  I like the SB primarily because I can update while working on E...  If I have to continuously jump between everything else I'm doing and IRC in a tab separate to the main site - I'm going to lose conversation and not interact very well... that's all.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Scott


Haibane

Quote from: Kip on July 29, 2009, 09:50:56 PM
It's not an effort at all as such - easy to add to what I'm doing....

But I typically have many browser tabs and windows open - I'm often doing study, family work stuff, emailling people, etc, etc as well as socialising and RPing on E.  I like the SB primarily because I can update while working on E...  If I have to continuously jump between everything else I'm doing and IRC in a tab separate to the main site - I'm going to lose conversation and not interact very well... that's all.
Not wanting to sound rude at all but I have never understood this argument and I've heard it many times before when I was a mod on another forum. If you have lots of windows and tabs open and you're multitasking like an espresso-fuelled octopus in the first place, one more tab is not going to make any difference, in my view.

What I understand you are saying is that a second SB of any sort which must involve a further window, tab or panel being open is going to be rejected by you anyway?