You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 04:25:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Most Popular Role Playing Systems  (Read 1361 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Most Popular Role Playing Systems
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:43:25 AM »
I'm currently working on a profiling system similar to (but quite different from) the Rabbit Hole. Since I want this to be quick and intend to replace it eventually,, I'm looking to make genres and game systems denormalized - that is, there are going to be a set number of them, rather than an exhaustive list.

Freeform, Semiform, and 'Other' are three basic categories, after that I have room for 28 more. I'm currently planning on using the following list:

7th Sea
 Ars Magica
 Big Eyes Small Mouth
 Call of Cthulhu
 d20 Modern, d20 Other
 Dungeons and Dragons Classic, Dungeons and Dragons d20, Dungeons and Dragons 4th
 Exalted 1st, Exalted 2nd
 GURPS Classic, GURPS 4th
 Legend of the Five Rings
 Mutants and Masterminds
 Paranoia
 Pendragon
 Rifts
 Shadowrun
 Star Wars Classic, Star Wars d20
 Traveller
 Tri-Stat
 True20
 Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Warhammer 40k Roleplay
 World of Darkness Old, World of Darkness New

'Classic' refers to older editions of the most popular role playing systems with more than two editions. Since D&D represents nearly half of the TRPG market, it gets to have three categories >_>

I'm posting this for comment, if anyone things something should be replaced, if GURPS and Exalted don't deserve two spots (probably not) that could go to Deadlands and Runequest or something.

This system will eventually be replaced by something more fluid, but that's a 'new CMS, new server' sort of deal.

Offline Valerian

Re: Most Popular Role Playing Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:16 AM »
Having played both GURPS third edition (Classic) and fourth fairly extensively, I'd have to say that they're pretty different animals and should be kept separate; but given the space limitations, I can see that might not be possible.

How about a Homebrew category?  Otherwise the only things I can think of that are missing are pretty obscure, such as Toon, and I don't know if you want to go that far.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
Some people on here are playing Maid!

And yes, Homebrew is a good one to have.

Offline Vandren

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »
Looks good, and I'd agree with Valerian that GURPS deserves two slots.  The third and fourth eds. are dramatically different animals.

Shadowrun might even deserve a Classic and 4th ed division (the character creation between them is rather different - priority system v. GURPS-style point buy - for one thing).

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »
Not sure if you want to divide the Saga edition Star Wars from the d20 Star Wars, but they are technically separate.

I'd offer up Scion, since I'm running a game of it here. Technically Scion / Deadlands crossover, but the system is Scion.

Savage Worlds might deserve an entry.

There are also a few rules light systems like Risus.

Offline Valerian

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
Oh, yes, and there's also Fudge, which used to be fairly popular as a rules-light system.

Offline Cold Heritage

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
Exalted could be fine as one category. Especially if it means we get to add some other deserving game to the mix.

Offline Bayushi

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:07:05 AM »
Dungeons and Dragons Classic, Dungeons and Dragons d20, Dungeons and Dragons 4th

'Classic' refers to older editions of the most popular role playing systems with more than two editions. Since D&D represents nearly half of the TRPG market, it gets to have three categories >_>

Given your justification here, you would need more than three categories for Dungeons and Dragons.

Chainmail/OD&D
  AD&D
  AD&D Second Edition
  D&D Third Edition(d20, d20 Revised)
  D&D Fourth Edition

Some may argue that Chainmail/OD&D, AD&D, and Second Edition should be lumped together as 'Classic', but I must differ. Each system involved is so drastically different that they literally have nothing to do with one another, outside of basic lore.

Just my $0.02   ;)

Offline The Great Triangle

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
I'd put in a second vote for FUDGE/SotC

I don't really think a discussion of the umpteen gazillion many different versions of D&D is necessary though. 

World of Darkness might could use to be split up just a little, to account for the people who play vampire but not much else. 

BESM might be possible to display as BESM/Tri Stat DX, but that's mostly fanboyism on my part. 

Offline Kazyth

• Someone's Dark Prince Charming, Taco King
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
I fully endorse splitting up nWoD a little more, given that several of their systems are entirely seperate from each other, Exalted (which I agree could be lumped together even though the rules are pretty different between first and second ed) and Scion being two of them. (<3 Scion!).  I don't know if many people play or are interested in Earthdawn on here, but I did love that setting and at one time it was very popular!

Offline Transgirlenstein

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
Another one in the D&D slot is Castles and Crusaders.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »
Realistically, is anyone still playing any D&D older than 2nd ed AD&D?

Offline Transgirlenstein

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »
There are groups of people who do.  I know I wouldnt turn down an OD&D/Rules Cyclopedia Game

Offline Haibane

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
Given your justification here, you would need more than three categories for Dungeons and Dragons.

Chainmail/OD&D
  AD&D
  AD&D Second Edition
  D&D Third Edition(d20, d20 Revised)
  D&D Fourth Edition

Some may argue that Chainmail/OD&D, AD&D, and Second Edition should be lumped together as 'Classic', but I must differ. Each system involved is so drastically different that they literally have nothing to do with one another, outside of basic lore.

Just my $0.02   ;)
Can't we just say "D&D"? And say the same for any single commercial rules system?

Offline Transgirlenstein

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »
I do like that..just say D&D with the understanding its anything under that label (any edition or offshoot game)

Offline Haibane

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
It depends how many slots Veks has to juggle with - if its 200 then having 5 or 6 variants of D&D is fine, if he only has 20 then for the 5 variants of D&D to take up a quarter of the available slots is clearly not fine.

Offline Brandon

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »
I would say it mostly depends on how many slots are open. If you just want 20 slots then I would say lump all the Similar games like New & old world of darkness, D&D, Exalted, etc together and call it good. If someone needs to narrow it down like saying I only play Pathfinder (D&D 3.75) and not any other forms of D&D then it can be placed in their On and offs and kept updated by the individual.

On that subject Pathfinder deserves a mention even if its lumped together with D&D as a whole

Offline Caeli

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:28 PM »
In the first post, I believe Veks implied that there would be thirty-one slots.

Freeform, Semiform, and 'Other' are three basic categories, after that I have room for 28 more.

Offline The Great Triangle

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 01:23:59 AM »
1st edition is an extremely nostalgic edition.  It remains somewhat popular for its simple rules, although it's most commonly played in generic versions.  Realistically, I think oD&D, AD&D, D&D3, and D&D4 more or less cover the fundamental points of the spectrum.  (although Castles and Crusades might be different enough to warrant its own mention)

Offline Noros

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 05:03:34 AM »
There's also the Wheel of Time d20 game. Never played it myself so far though

Offline HairyHeretic

• Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
I think the WoT one uses the 3.5 rules, or a modified version thereof.

Offline Myrleena

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
Although I like the idea of having every system that I can think of in the list, I honestly like the list that Veks came up with.  Seems really balanced to me. *shrugs*

Offline Noros

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »
Well as I said, I never played it myself. I just thought I mention it, and a few others on the list are based alot on 3.5 rules.
I'm not sure how popular it is anyway, so not sure it needs its own category.
I also didn't count them and didn't realise there were already 28 up there, looked like less.

Offline Mr Self Destruct

• If I had known things would turn out this way, I might have stayed up a little later, talked a little longer, and hugged you a little tighter. How foolish of me to think that we would last...to think that I wouldn't have regrets.
  • Knight
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
It's cool to see that there are others on here with the nerdy role-playing urge that I have. lol  For what its worth, here are the role-playing books that are in my collection:

Vampire: The Masquerade (3rd edition, along with the Storyteller's Handbook, Guide to the Camarilla and Guide to the Sabbat, as well as the Book of Nod and the Prince's Primer)
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Vampire: The Requiem (along with the supplements Requiem for Rome, the Damnation City guide, City of the Damned: New Orleans, and the Chicago sourcebook)
Werewolf: The Forsaken (along with the supplements Lodges: The Faithful, Predators, Blasphemies, Hunting Ground: The Rockies, and the Blood of the Wolf book)
World of Darkness Core (along with the Mysterious Places supplement)
Mage: The Awakening
Changeling: The Lost
Promethean: The Created
Hunter: The Vigil
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and the Monster Manual, along with the PHB 2 and The Complete Adventurer Book)
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and the Monster Manual)
Scion: Hero
Aberrant
Star Wars Saga Edition (Core rulebook, along with the Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy era, Clone Wars era, and the Jedi Training Manual book)
They're all on a shelf behind me so it was easy to categorize them. lol

Offline grdell

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »
My favorite RPG of all time was TORG. It's not in print any longer, but there are still some of us hardcore fans out there!