You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 07:53:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: So, how large is it?  (Read 25106 times)

Offline Starlequin

Re: So, how large is it?
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
So glad I finally get to do this!
*goes to test*
Huh. Thought it'd be higher.
*shrugs*

Offline Anya

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
Yayyy... I think that I got the lowest score. 14,800 words.

Offline BadForm

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »
35,600... I am not happy with myself. Oh well, such is life for us ignoramuses.

Offline Caeli

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
Yayyy... I think that I got the lowest score. 14,800 words.

Seeing as how English is not your native language, I think that is an absolutely impressive number.

Offline Anya

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2013, 02:38:47 AM »
Seeing as how English is not your native language, I think that is an absolutely impressive number.

Teehee! Thank you Caeli.

Offline LiliasTopic starter

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »
The maximum score one can get is 45,000. The highest I've seen is in the 43K, but that was an older person on a religious forum (= well-versed in archaic language).

Anything over 10K, for non-native speakers, and you can give yourselves a pat in the back. I also put down money that if you retake it after a year here, you're going to score much, much better. ;)

Offline Wolfling72

• Crushie, Syr, Cuddle Slut, Cinna-god/dess, a Hawt Mess, Flirt, Wifey, Tease.
  • On Hiatus
  • Addict
  • Location: Running on glitter and sheer awesome. Fashionably late, as always.
  • E's ONLY CinnaBoi #JediHandWave
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
How interesting. I took the test. (The fourth column killed me!)

37, 200. Hmmm. Pretty good, I think. Not great but not utterly uneducated either.

Offline NinjaWeazel

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
43,000 words.  My English Major aunt would be so proud.

Offline Erich Norden

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
 Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
31,100 words

Between the ones I didn't get, I've seen about half of them but forgot (or never learned) the definition.

Offline Rig

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
30,500, allegedly.

I'm fairly cynical of these sorts of things. Never the less, I'm happy with that.

Offline kylie

• Bratty Princess of Twisty, Creeping Secrets. Frilly | Fussy | Framed | Dreamy | Glam | Risky | Sporty | Rapt | Tease | Ironic | Shadowed | Struggling | Whispery | Bespelled
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Darkly sweet femme for rich & insidious scenarios.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
24,300 it says.

Believe it or not, more than  few of the harder words were learned from gaming books such as White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and DnD.  Tenebrous, caitiff, hobgoblin, to name a few.  Read more fantasy and learn more words!  Woo!
No fair...  It only gave me a bugbear.  Pouts.  Bugbear cleaves hobgoblin, though -- yes?   ;)

Offline Safire

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
Apparently I know about 20,400 words. I'm not happy with that. They got pretty hard on the last list... I could probably figure them out if they were in an actual sentence instead of just a word list.

Offline Monfang

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

I need to get back to reading more.

Online yugi006

• Rocked by Carnage, Enchanted by a Mystery , Wolfling's Adoring Pillow,
  • Lord
  • Carnite
  • Location: With Cole in Her Arms, Hiding in the Shadows, Stalking Josi's Profile
  • Anesa's Game Tutor, Ninja Assassin
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »

That really isn't a lot.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2013, 06:19:54 AM »
33,700 words.

And I also knew several words only from my RPG experiences - Caitiff and Regnant, primarily.
I actually didn't check those.  Not because I didn't know the meaning, but White Wolf has this tendency to 're-purpose' words for their games, so to be honest, what I know (I looked them up, had to, because I had two separate definitions of those words) may have been actually wrong.  And if I had to look them up, I didn't check them.

Offline Achmed the Mad

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
38,400 - a liking for obscure words apparently has some uses!

By the time I got to that last column, I was wondering if it was throwing made-up words at me just to catch out cheaters!

Offline Endorphin

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2013, 04:41:48 AM »

Probably a fair reflection, since I certainly wouldn't consider myself an avid reader.

I get the impression that a polyglot would have a significant advantage in this test. Especially one with a good understanding of French.

Offline Renegade Vile

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
I had 31,800 words as my estimation. Bearing in mind that I'm 24 and I'm not a native speaker, I seem to be doing quite well.

However, for those not happy with their scores, take a look at the averages for your age for both native and non-native speakers, it offers more context to your score. Also keep in mind that some of the later words are very niche terms you never really come across except by happenstance. If you have the average of what is expected, I believe one can be very pleased already.

Offline Swordsman18

• Enemy of the Darkness, Helper of the Weak and the Wounded
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Location: This place out west, where there are dreamboats and girls
  • My only dream is to fight and die for those I love
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
28,300 is my estimation, I think it is a bit low but I think that is a good checker.

Offline Geraint

• Propigator of Plot Bunnies, RomanceCrack Dealer and Sireneous Wayword Muse Also Accused Plot Demon Breeder of Plotweilers ...
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait."
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »
The maximum score one can get is 45,000. The highest I've seen is in the 43K, but that was an older person on a religious forum (= well-versed in archaic language).

Anything over 10K, for non-native speakers, and you can give yourselves a pat in the back. I also put down money that if you retake it after a year here, you're going to score much, much better. ;)

Older certainly does work to one's advantage, especially when combined with a lifetime of reading tons of fiction.  My experience is that forum roleplay adds greatly(see below), especially if one does a lot of historical and fantasy, and tends to research heavily (which I guess would qualify as well versed in archic language).  A keen curiosity, Google Fu, and Wikipedia addiction have to help as well.

My estimated number was:

42,900  (likely because of all the above).

Of course I know of very few people besides writers who might get to use nearly that amount of vocabulary in real life (people tend to back away from you when you do).  Certainly I don't.  So I took the test again, counting only words I actually use in real life (without getting strange looks) and came up with:

That's where roleplay really shines.  Taking it a third time, I included all the words that are actually in  active use in my roleplay vocabulary, and I got: 

I'd say that is quite a testimonial to the affect of roleplay on vocabulary.

And yes, my muse wanted distraction this morning.   ::)

Offline Blythe

« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
My number was 39,800. I felt it was a passable estimate, seeing as English literature is my field, but much of what I use doesn't always come up in everyday conversation, so I've gotten a tad rusty.

Offline CupidCatt

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »

I was surprised at how many words I did recognise (as sounds or patterns of letters) but couldn't for the life of me define  :-[

Offline SweetSerenade

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »

I think that's good? I just like to read, learn a lot of things from reading... ya know?

Offline Hades

• Master of Explosions, Keeper of Useless Trivia, Hopeless Minecraft Addict
  • Knight
  • Seducer
  • Prepare for Doom and...oh, shiny object!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
Figured I'd take the test to see how I ranked.  Being from the American south (barely, since I'm in Kentucky, but that's beside the point!) I thought it might be amusing.

34,400 words

Guess having my nose buried in all those books are good for something after all, besides risking an early death by means of 1000 papercuts.

Offline LeSane

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
44,600 words

Coming from a person that has not started college yet I feel that I am rather accomplished right now. Though I stuck my head near an art pad rather then a book it never stopped me from doing some reading, and like Hades I was raised in the South. Atlanta, Ga to be exact. Woot!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:04:47 AM by Scarification »