Mature Fantasy Quest - Strong Writers Desired

Started by Darkmoon, July 17, 2016, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

The OOC for the active game is now available at the link below:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253401.msg12529483#msg12529483

Game Status: Game is Active, New Character Submissions Welcome (PM Darkmoon), Q&A
This game has received enough interest and I am opening it up for character submissions. Please PM me your character description, desired abilities, desired background, and a character portrait. You may also wish to e-mail me your non-con-vs-consensual preference so I can make sure the NPCs act accordingly with your preferences in the future, if that becomes an opportunity.

Greetings!

I am a GM looking to host an adventure for experienced, quality writers. Staples and requirements to summarize this game are:

Length: I am looking to run this long term, with players dropping in and out as time permits.

Writing level: Experienced writers only. Details and description are important.

Post Length: One to two paragraphs or more. Good writing and thorough description are valued. Play your role, and let us get to know your character.

Theme: High Fantasy, D&D/Tolkien races with Game of Thrones style mature themes and dialogue, original setting, with deities, monsters, political intrigue, war, and most of all, exploration.

Smut Level: Secondary to plot and adventure, but certainly welcome. Do bring the sexiness, but realize it is not the focus.

Combat: Written, with GM dictating outcomes, and dice rolls in an OOC thread for some actions. GM will govern this, so don't be intimidated. Should be very little math in this writing-focused, freeform game.

Party Alignment: Neutral to good overall party focus, but evil characters are welcome if they do not distract overall from the GM's goal to carry the plot forward.

PC Races:Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Pixies, Half-orcs, Ogres, Merfolk (legs on land, fins in water), Succubi, Sirens. Werewolves. Vampires (secondary race option for humans and elves.) Please, no anime characters or art.

PC Classes: Occupation and class are flexible. Please consider the theme. Please choose a character with novice power, for growth, balance, and to make the acquisition of new abilities, positions, and objects fun and to provide a sense of progress. No god-moding as a super powerful sorcerer, please.

Please note: once I garner enough interest from this basic info, I will provide more world details and open up to character submissions.[/b] Please expect a fun, engrossing narrative and adventure and only apply if you are willing to write well and with a degree of dedication for the readership that are your fellow adventurers and the GM spending the time to make this a high quality game. I will be happy to answer any basic questions here, and will update this first post with game status or links to new threads as they are introduced.

Plot Teaser:

QuoteThe Imperium of Man is over. It has been a year of terror since the sinking of the East brought on by the bomb. The choking dust that clouded the skies and blotted out the sun has settled over the dead grasses of the plains. The brittle shrubs, flaking away like dead skin over the Edgelands, are seeking renewal. The rains have returned. Airu, our world, endures. Will we?

The Imperium of Vilirum discovered something dark. We of the many races and nations that dwelled along the Edgelands, before they were Edgelands and instead a forty leagues-wide arc of land that would be fortunate enough to escape the heat, we see it now. We flee from it. Figures of shadow and wretched, them, wrapped in filth and violence, twisted and hateful; they emerge from the ashen wastes. They climb forth from the great hollows, black, diminutive figures among the burned spikes of flame-whittled tree trunks. They say Vilirum destroyed itself to destroy the coming Plague, as these creatures are called. They say they destroyed a civilization as old as memory itself, a culture, all of its art, its innocence, and all of its abuses, oppression, and wickedness with it. The peoples of the Edgelands and beyond do not weep for the end of that oppression, but we weep for the children, the mothers, those that did not deserve an end for nothing.

There is no time to mourn ash. The Plague comes. We are refugees, fleeing what is left of the lands we called home. Some of us saw the Plague ourselves and lived to tell about it. The murder. The bestial raping. Women and girls being dragged East by nightmarish shapes or heard screaming in the night beyond the fires. The men, burned alive, torn to pieces, made to resemble the stuff of the earth. Odd peoples find themselves joining together in mutual terror, seeking some semblance of the gods' gifts of fellowship and compassion to get through. West. Go west. The prophets scream it in the night, wailing old women taking up their chants. We don't know why we believe it, but we follow. Can the prophets be trusted?

Our band does not follow a prophet. We follow a farmer. An old dragoon, a man named Geldahar, who tells us simply that he served his time for the Emperor and earned the freedom to work the gods' soil and see his sons and daughters rise up in Vilirum to stand on their own two feet. At least, that's who he was. He has nothing left in all of Airu, his children lost to the savagery. We know not why we follow him. At least, nobody has told me why they do. I know my reason. Compassion. I have nobody left to trust from my old life, and in Old Geld I see the same. I see myself, in need of someone, something to hold on to and see set right. There is nothing left to lose, and everything left to gain by moving in one direction. West is hope. West is life. If not, damnation will find us all, lest it drive us mad in the flight there from.

Approved characters:

A wood elf ranger (female, fighter)
A human ranger (male, fighter)
A Mer priestess (female, cleric)
A human thief (female, rogue)
A half-elf mage (male, mage)
A half-elf paladin (male, fighter)
A shifter archer (female, fighter)
A half-ogre blacksmith (male, artisan)

Active character roster:

(to be updated when game begins and players contribute)

Your fellow word warrior, Darkmoon.

MissFire

To get interest, you'll need to explain the plot/premise to this game. Is it system or freeform?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Tamhansen

From his bit on combat I'm assuming semi freeform, but maybe wrong. Would like a bit of info on setting before commiting though.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Chulanowa

I'm always interested in fantasy, but, yeah, I would like to know a bit more about the world and premise before fully committing. The "no anime art" is a huge bonus to me, though!

Ollumhammersong

I am curious. But I would like to know some more first.

I suppose my most immediate question would be the circumstances of all of our characters coming together. I can only assume we will come up with wildly different characters with different ambitions. What is the primary hook that pulls us into a single adventuring troope?
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

Vlexia

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

Darkmoon

Hi guys,

I added a plot teaser inside a quote box in the first post. I'll be customizing fonts, layouts, and be providing plenty of images as the game progresses.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on July 17, 2016, 12:51:44 PM
I am curious. But I would like to know some more first.

I suppose my most immediate question would be the circumstances of all of our characters coming together. I can only assume we will come up with wildly different characters with different ambitions. What is the primary hook that pulls us into a single adventuring troope?

Ollumhammersong
, the primary goal will be, initially, to escape an enemy known as the Plague, and get to safety by moving west. At least to begin, the group will be united in that they've entrusted Geldahar, an experienced dragoon from the destroyed region of Vilirum, to lead them to safety. In general, people tied to Geldahar will see the advantage of numbers, and that Geldahar seems competent, skilled with sword and armor, and carries himself like a leader, though an aging one. Whereas many factions forming and similarly moving west are shaping up on sectarian or questionable grounds, anyone that encounters Geldahar's band would find themselves both with a trustworthy person, whether their intentions are good or ill. Backgrounds are expected to vary widely.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Tamhansen on July 17, 2016, 11:28:08 AM
From his bit on combat I'm assuming semi freeform, but maybe wrong. Would like a bit of info on setting before commiting though.

Semi-freeform. Mostly freeform, but sometimes I like to roll dice to let chance take responsibility for someone's untimely mangling.

Whowhatwhere

The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

Darkmoon

Just about there. Allowing for the inevitable drop-outs, I'd like to see if a few more people are interested. I will provide more world details soon as well. Just a note, if it wasn't clear, this is intended to be a drop-in/drop-out game. That is, I am expecting some players will drop out and become either temporarily or permanently inactive. That's a sad fact of these online RPGs. At the same time, I am also going to actively recruit more players to join in if the character count drops. I am hoping for a loyal and dedicated group but, in order to account for the realities of anonymous role-playing games, I want players to rest assured I will dedicate myself to keeping the game going.

Zenkai

So it's some kind of Banner Saga from the inside?

Are there some character creation guidelines - stereotypes and so on - apart from the races you mentioned, or are you leaving it to our overproductive imaginations? Something as simple as roles you need filled would be fine.  :-)

+1 for interest.

Aida Rose

I'm interested in this and wondering about character creation too. Is the game pretty much freeform except for the dice rolls?

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Nowherewoman

Potential interest, pending more detail, and my fickle muse coming up with something workable.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Doomsday

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 19, 2016, 05:17:22 AM
Just about there. Allowing for the inevitable drop-outs, I'd like to see if a few more people are interested. I will provide more world details soon as well. Just a note, if it wasn't clear, this is intended to be a drop-in/drop-out game. That is, I am expecting some players will drop out and become either temporarily or permanently inactive. That's a sad fact of these online RPGs. At the same time, I am also going to actively recruit more players to join in if the character count drops. I am hoping for a loyal and dedicated group but, in order to account for the realities of anonymous role-playing games, I want players to rest assured I will dedicate myself to keeping the game going.

Definitely interested, especially after reading this. It's good to see a GM with a realistic expectation of player availability interest; I'm running a game myself that has seen highs and lows, currently lows, and I've come to terms with the fact that the game will go on as long as myself and my fellow GM's are interested, and our players can be as inactive or as inactive as they please, with no obligation and thus no need to 'quit' the game if they're still somewhat interested.

I imagine I'd be one of those players; I don't have a ton of free time, but I've been itching to be a non-GM member of a group, and especially eager for a fantasy setting. I'm comfy playing men, women or otherwise, smut, smut-lite or no smut, so I'll see how the tentative roster shakes up before I begin to plan something.

Ontan

Also interested!

I’m not big on system games, so it’s great to see a freeform (with dice) fantasy game pop up. I also really, really like the idea that everyone starts as novices, and that the focus is on development and growth rather than showing off how amazing your character is. I’ve always preferred stories about becoming heroes, rather than starting as them ;)

Darkmoon

Quote from: Zenkai on July 19, 2016, 05:33:48 AM
So it's some kind of Banner Saga from the inside?

Are there some character creation guidelines - stereotypes and so on - apart from the races you mentioned, or are you leaving it to our overproductive imaginations? Something as simple as roles you need filled would be fine.  :-)

+1 for interest.

Kudos to you. As I was writing up that teaser I was definitely inspired by Banner Saga, but only in the sense that it provides a greater arc and urgent need to move over diverse terrain. The core is still high fantasy in the traditional Tolkien/D&D sense, and none of the lore, story, or other components from BS will have any relevance here. Please consider it just a strikingly useful and inspiring parallel in plot, similar to a MacGuffin.

If the classes/races, theme, and teaser didn't provide a sufficient foundation, I will throw out some basic samples of possible character types to play. By no means are you limited here, and I encourage you to create a character you like within the medieval-fantasy context.

Sample character types could include:

A knight from Vilirum who no longer has an Emperor to serve (whose Empire was destroyed)
A city thief or rogue who escaped the city, having learned secret knowledge (to be provided by GM) about the "bomb" before it hit.
A spirited young mage from a tower in the Edgelands, who watched the blast, the Plague come, and his academy get overtaken before escaping.
A princess or noblewoman, seeking safety, perhaps the very princess of Vilirum going by another guise until she reaches safety.
A barbarian or raider who came to the Edgelands to pillage Vilirum, but turned back when the Plague came.
A high or wood elf from a forest or rivertown in the Edgelands, also in flight.
Etc.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Aida Rose on July 19, 2016, 10:04:01 AM
I'm interested in this and wondering about character creation too. Is the game pretty much freeform except for the dice rolls?

Yes, freeform, with dice rolls when suggested by or performed by the GM. The focus as a player will be on writing, description, detail, and painting a character and a world with us.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Doomsday on July 19, 2016, 07:52:32 PM
Definitely interested, especially after reading this. It's good to see a GM with a realistic expectation of player availability interest; I'm running a game myself that has seen highs and lows, currently lows, and I've come to terms with the fact that the game will go on as long as myself and my fellow GM's are interested, and our players can be as inactive or as inactive as they please, with no obligation and thus no need to 'quit' the game if they're still somewhat interested.

I imagine I'd be one of those players; I don't have a ton of free time, but I've been itching to be a non-GM member of a group, and especially eager for a fantasy setting. I'm comfy playing men, women or otherwise, smut, smut-lite or no smut, so I'll see how the tentative roster shakes up before I begin to plan something.

You have it in a nutshell. Drop-in/Drop-out. As GM, I will indicate as peacefully as possible when a character has left the scene due to inactivity (if they don't do it themselves (please do!), and they will have the option to emerge later. I will try to let the dice decide when a character gets killed, and certainly when a player is engaged. In other words, your character won't be killed off if you have a family problem that takes you out of the game for a month.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Ontan on July 19, 2016, 11:20:39 PM
Also interested!

I’m not big on system games, so it’s great to see a freeform (with dice) fantasy game pop up. I also really, really like the idea that everyone starts as novices, and that the focus is on development and growth rather than showing off how amazing your character is. I’ve always preferred stories about becoming heroes, rather than starting as them ;)

You truly get that sense of adventuring party comradery when your characters rise together out of hardship and overcome it. The very best RP comes later on, when you have a history together, old things to reference and play off of, and personal relationships develop between characters, whether they're feuds or friendships or sneaking blowjobs in the stable. Hey, I know what website I'm on.

Relikai

And perhaps two people with feelings for each other gettin on after a potentially fatal encounter :x

Darkmoon

First post updated. Status changed from "Interest Check" to "Interest Check, Q&A". Please feel free to ask questions now.

Nowherewoman

Curious about the reference to 'the bomb' in the plot teaser. Are we dealing with a  sort of Steampunk fantasy world here, or a Shadowrunlike Tech and Sorcery mixture, or...?
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0