== Character Bio ==== Personal Information ==Legal Name:
Sorceress== Physical Description / Clothing ==
She has a large collection of hoodies. If it has a hood she's probably wearing it or will wear it. Mostly this is to help conceal the small horns that grow from her head--though they're easily concealed by her wavy red hair. Her eyes vary in shade, though are generally a dark brown color. As she exerts more of her mystic power they begin to steadily turn red and eventually glow with a white light.== Personality ==
Fiery, passionate, quick to anger (or any other emotion for that matter). At times she can be a little ball of aimless rage, and at others she can be decidedly stubborn. Her emotions can and often do get the better of her, but at least she's no Hulk. She keeps her emotions balanced by rather frequent meditation that she refers to as Communing, or "going within". It helps to stabilize her and keep her emotions in check, while also revitalizing her. Despite this she often holds herself back as she remains keenly aware of her past, trying to cause as little suffering as she can in order to somehow redeem herself from her past.== Key Skills ==Powers:Pyrokinesis
- She is extremely skilled in generating and controlling fire. She can turn a match into a raging inferno, or an uncontrollable wildfire into a campfire for roasting marshmallows. She can also affect how hot the flames burn which affects their color, from a dark red up to a blue-white. Superheating air in this way can also create small concussive blasts, so a thrown ball of flame might knock someone back instead of lighting them on fire.Magical Constructs
- She can form constructs from solidified light, typically a yellow-gold color. Typical constructs include:
- Sword - A blade of light typically about the size of a longsword
- Creatures - She can form creatures that maintain a certain level of independent thought or action. This form of construct is too complex to utilize more than one at a time but it can be nearly any size or shape.
- Hands - Large human-sized hands can be useful for incapacitating foes from a distance. These require direct control on her part, which mimic the actions of her hands, thus limiting her to two at a time.
- Shields - Shields are the most varied shapes (an open palm blocks an optic blast, a wall rises up to stop a hydrokinetic attack, a creature comes to life only to subsequently die to protect someone) but require little attention on her part--aside from noticing the attack in time to reflexively shield herself or others.
- Innate sense to detect and identify all forms of mystical energy within her normal range of perception. Furthermore, when not in a stressful situation, she can also sense the emotions of those around her as well as detect sources of life energy (ie. living beings). Her ability to sense magical energies allows her to track magical effects back to their source like a hunter following footprints in the snow. Depending on the ongoing effect this may either lead to the person who created the spell or magical effect, or to the location where the effect was initially created.Telekinesis
- She has a limited ability to affect things telekinetically. She can cause herself to float in air, generally no more than a couple feet from the ground, or move objects that weigh less than approximately 100 pounds. This takes little to no effort for her to perform, being able to maintain her own levitation almost indefinitely, but if she becomes distracted or startled she may lose focus and drop whatever she's "holding".Healing Factor
- She heals slightly faster than a normal human and can recover from more traumatic injuries given time. What would take a normal human one month to recover from takes her approximately two weeks.Telepathy
- She has an underdeveloped telepathic ability which she typically uses by reflex. This includes shielding herself from mental attacks as well as those around her or detecting the surface thoughts of those nearby--typically manifesting as an ability to detect if people are lying.Commune
- By meditating she can commune in a way similar to how Shaman communed with animals and spirits. This had, in the past, opened her up to outside influence, she has since refined the ability to be purely internal. She communes with different facets of her personality to keep her mind in balance. In this state she is shut off from the outside world, though physical contact can "wake" her up.Spells:Agamotto's Light
- A soothing and comforting light that can break mental control of those bathed in the light. It causes great pain to the person that is exerting control over the target until they free them from their control.Spell of Attunement
- A spell that causes like to attract like. Wood affected will attract wood, stone attracts stone, etc.Spell of Interference
- A more immediate, if risky, alternative to Agamotto's Light. This spell will do one of two things, it will either immediately end mind controlling effects on the target and knock the target unconscious, or--if the controlling being's will is strong enough--it will instead knock the caster unconscious.Spell of Pain
- A simple spell that just causes pain to the target until she stops concentrating on the spell.Sympathetic Magic
- She was taught how to use Sympathetic Magic by Shaman. Sympathetic Magic uses either a replica of a person (ie. Voodoo doll), a piece of a person (hair, blood), or an important possession in order to work magic from a greater distance. Typically only living beings can be affected by Sympathetic Magic (to include sentient undead like vampires), but places or objects that have a strong magical resonance can also be affected.Skills:Hand-to-Hand Combat
- She is marginally adept at hand to hand combat using a sword or knives.Leadership
- She has some experience successfully leading a team in the past.Occult Expertise
- She is extremely knowledgeable about the occult.Weaknesses:Demonic Heritage
- She is just as subject to spells that specifically target demons as a normal demon would be. The most typical being a circle that prevents demons from crossing the lines drawn, making it possible to imprison her with a piece of chalk.Partial Amnesia
- She is unable to recall anything from her past.Foci
require some component through which she focuses the power, either incantation, using a wand, gestures, or complex rituals. Her powers
as listed above do not have this restriction.== Character Background === First Memories =
Ananym's first memories are of waking in the middle of a small, burning crater inside the Nanahi National Park in Canada. Naked, alone, and with no memory of her past or how she ended up there she picked up a small flame that was still crackling with life in one hand and began to walk aimlessly through the forest. It wasn't long before Michael Twoyoungmen eventually found her while he was out communing with the secret spirits of the nature preserve. He took her in as a second adoptive daughter (the first being Snowbird) after a fashion and helped her come to terms with her lost memory and the strange powers she seemed to possess.= Alpha Flight =
When Shaman joined Alpha Flight Ananym was reluctant to join, still feeling out of place in the world. Instead she continued to practice her magical talents on her own while the newly created Alpha Flight began focusing its efforts on defending Canada from other super-powered threats. Alpha Flight's success was not exactly what the Canadian Government had expected when it sponsored their creation which put the so called Department H in danger of being dissolved. It came to a head when Alpha Flight had seemingly disappeared from the planet after an encounter with Bedlam. In an attempt to fix what they did wrong the Canadian Government recruited a replacement for Alpha Flight that they called Gamma Flight.
With Shaman gone a worried Ananym joined Gamma Flight in hopes of finding him again and taking up the mantle of a protector. She grew stronger through the challenges of being a member of Gamma Flight and even led some of Gamma Flights missions. Soon enough Alpha Flight returned.
The government wanted Gamma Flight to apprehend and place Alpha Flight into custody, but they naturally refused. The two teams separated, after a fashion, Gamma Flight remaining the government's team and Alpha Flight become a more private organization. The two teams had good relations and worked in tandem on several missions.
The government and Alpha Flight eventually reunited which caused Gamma Flight to, effectively, get dissolved. Some of the former members of Gamma Flight remained behind, such as Ananym. The teams became split into a number of groups: Alpha Flight, the primary team that handled missions; Beta Flight, which consisted of people in training status; and soon reestablished Gamma Flight, which was responsible for supporting the other two flights. Ananym remained a member of Beta Flight for some time before taking up a leadership position of Gamma Flight.= Darkness Approaches =
The past always catches up with you, for some that is much worse than others. Ananym began experiencing nightmares that caused her to go into Communion more frequently in an attempt to calm her mind. Despite the calming effect it had, it also allowed her father, the Demon Lord of Limbo, Belasco, to contact her. The control he began to exert was subtle at first, culminating in a small summoning spell she used to bring through the Bloodstone Amulet from Limbo into her possession. Naturally Alpha Flight was away on a mission when the dark powers of Limbo and the Bloodstone Amulet reawoke the demon blood within Ananym's veins. Fueled by the evil of Belasco's connection to her through some unknown sorcerous working, and empowered by the artifact amulet she became something more than she was before.
Belasco's goal, it seemed, was to create a foothold on Earth that he could use to invade the planet, perhaps to enact or finalize some age old ritual he had long been kept from completing. Ananym, for her part, created a veritable simulacrum of hell within the halls of Department H. Demons bubbled forth at her behest, and the students of Beta Flight, and her former allies and subordinates from Gamma Flight were no match for her awakened infernal might.
Alpha Flight returned quickly and began doing what they could to stop Ananym but quickly ran into difficulty dealing with not only her but the demons she had summoned up to serve as her own personal army. They then reached out for assistance and a team of X-Men, a couple of the Avengers from before the catastrophe, and someone who had personal experience with Belasco: Magik.
They all played their pivotal roles in the stand-off, but ultimately it was Magik that dealt the final blow. Using her Soulsword and some concealing powers from the X-Men, she managed to catch Ananym off-guard and thrust the blade through her. Normally the blow would have been fatal, but instead she simply became incapacitated as her enhanced healing factor was negated temporarily by the power of the Soulsword. Magik was then able to retrieve the Bloodstone Amulet which was eventually given to Doctor Strange to keep hidden away for safekeeping.= Aftermath =
Ananym lay not dead but dying, and rather than turn her over to the Canadian Government they secreted her away under the careful supervision of the X-Men after they carefully ensured that the link between Ananym and Belasco had been completely severed. Ananym lay in comatose slumber for the better part of two months while the world recovered and Alpha Flight repaired their headquarters.
When she awoke her memory of the events was hazy at best, but she knew what had happened, knew the potential for evil that she had hidden away within her, and while her history was still largely a mystery to her, knew more fully where she came from and perhaps what her true purpose was. Despair set in soon after. While awake she was still recovering and being kept under close supervision, but she was permitted limited exploration of the facility which was how she met Megan Gwynn
. Megan's contagious optimism eventually helped Ananym to get over her depression, turning it into a stagnant sensation that could develop into something else in the future.
It turned out that the flame that burns brightest also burns shortest, and while the events managed to awaken and enhance her potential some of her skill had seemingly "burned out" after the catastrophe at Department H. It took her a great deal of time and hard work to rebuild her strength while she healed. She surmised that she likely couldn't survive another "awakening" like what had happened previously, the courescating infernal power would simply tear her apart.= Healing =
She healed slowly, but with little lasting damage with the help of the X-Men. While her physical body knitted itself back together, her emotional scars were soothed by Megan Gwynn with whom she developed a brief relationship. Megan had her own inherent aptitude for magic and so they practiced their spells with one another as their friendship blossomed into a brief tryst. They knew that it wouldn't last, just as Ananym knew she couldn't stay with the X-Men forever, so before things got too serious they broke things off and they went their separate ways, maintaining their friendship all the while.
Still she had much to heal, and the despair now fueled a new sensation, a need for atonement.= Wanderer =
She soon took to the world, leaving everything she knew behind to explore the world and see what adventures she might find along the way. She encountered some villains as she travelled making at least a small name for herself. Smaller tasks she felt more suited to, still not trusting herself to do more harm than good.
In her travels she's also accumulated a reasonably good amount of arcane and occult lore, and uncovered a handful of spells.= Avengers Reassemble =
Either Shadowcat knew of Ananym from her time healing under the care of the X-Men, or someone had recommended her, the new Avengers found in her a loyal companion gifted in the magical arts and now willing to go to any lengths to atone for her past and make use of even evil powers for good.== Face Claim: ==