I will run this game when NO MORE THAN ONE other mafia game is running.
This is to reduce confusion and player stress.
I've been inspired to run a forum based edition of the Towns of Salem
flash game. (It's super fun! We've played it on a few game nights. ^^)
Now, ToS has 29
roles. But there's no way we'll be using all of them. Some of them would make the game WAY
too complicated. The maximum to a game is 15, but I'd feel lucky just to get 10.
This will also be a little different from other mafia games in the fact that everyone
will receive a different role. There are 3 different categories; town, mafia, and neutral. Obviously, the townies are the good guys. The mafia are the bad guys, and neutral is neutral.
*The rules for the roles will be different than what you're used to as well, so please take note.*
- (Ignores Night Immunity) Protect one person from death each night. Can protect the same person multiple nights in a row. Can protect themselves once. If the person the bodyguard is protecting is attacked during the night, then both the bodyguard and
the attacker are killed in the process.Doctor
- Chooses one person to heal each night. Can choose the same target to heal each night. Can heal themselves once. This role will be played differently than you are used to. The Doctor must choose a person each night, without any knowledge on whether they will be attacked or not. Before, this role was more specific (the doctor knew who was going to be attacked, and was presented with the option to heal them or not), and had limited uses. Now, the role has unlimited uses, but the downfall is that they no longer know who will be attacked until after the fact. If the Doctor chooses a target to heal and that target is attacked during the night, then the doctor will be messaged with a notification that their target was attacked.Investigator
- Investigates one person each night for a clue as to their role. Ignores Detection Immune roles. You will receive a notification with the clue. They are as follows:
Bodyguard, Jailor, or Lookout - Your target is a protector.
Transporter or Arsonist - Your target smells of gas.
Doctor or Serial Killer - Your target works with knives.
Consort or Escort - Your target is a manipulative beauty.
Investigator or Consigliere - Your target gathers information.
Godfather or Mayor - Your target is a leader among men.
Sheriff, Retributionist, or Executioner - Your target seeks justice.
Spy or Blackmailer - Your target works with secret information.
Veteran, Vigilante or Mafioso - Your target works with weapons.
Disguiser or Jester - Your target enjoys tricking people.
Janitor or Medium - Your target works with dead bodies.
Framer* - Your target is good with documents.
Amnesiac - Your target does not remember their role.
Survivor or Witch - Your target is a loner.
*Framed targets will appear as the Framer role.
- (Unique Role) Revives one person from death. Can only be used once. Can only be used on townies, which includes the Amnesiac if they choose to assume a townie role. This role can be of great benefit to the townies if the Retributionist lives long enough to revive an important role. The townies can win the game if this role plays their cards right.Vigilante
- Chooses to take justice into their own hands, and shoot someone during the night. Cannot shoot anyone the first night. Only has 3 bullets. Your attack does not ignore night immunity (Godfather, Bodyguard with vest on, Doctor healing themselves). If the Vigilante shoots an innocent person, they put their gun away and commit suicide. You can be killed by the bodyguard.Lookout
- Each night, they choose another player to watch and will see who visits them.MafiaFramer
- Choose one person to frame each night. Investigators will see framed targets as the Framer. If there are no Mafia killing roles left, you become the Mafioso.Godfather
- (Night Immunity, Detection Immunity, Unique Role) Order the Mafioso to kill your target. You cannot be killed at night.Mafioso
- (Unique Role) Vote on someone to kill each night. If the Godfather orders you to kill a different target, you must kill that target. If the Godfather does not order you to kill a target, you may kill anyone you wish.NeutralAmnesiac
- Does not have a role. May select a role from one of the deceased players, and assume that role for the rest of the game. You may not select a unique role; Godfather, Mafioso, Retributionist.Executioner
- (Night Immunity) Get your target lynched by any means necessary. Your target will always be a townie. If your target dies during the night phase, you become a Jester. Jester
- Trick the town into lynching you. After you are lynched, you may kill someone who voted for you that night. This ability ignores Night Immunity, so it allows you to kill the Godfather if you know who it is. This person commits suicide over guilt for lynching you.Survivor
- (Temp Night Immunity) A neutral role that just wants to survive. A survivor has 4 bulletproof vests they they can choose to wear during any night phase. If you are not attacked on a night when you wear your vest, the vest will still be destroyed.
- Roles with this notation must be killed during the lynching phase. The only exception is if the Godfather attacks someone who is protected by the Bodyguard.Detection Immunity
- Roles that appear innocent when investigated. The Investigator role ignores Detection Immunity.
If it's alright with everyone, I will not
be adding the following roles:
These roles tend to make the game a bit more confusing. Especially if anyone playing this time hasn't played a ToS game before. If all goes well and people enjoy it, I may run it again with some of these roles included.