You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 18, 2018, 10:18:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 555919 times)

Mechelle and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Lustful Bride

Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #9500 on: October 11, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »
Some may find this interesting. I don't understand much of it as I know nothing about the Eastern Orthodox faith.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine’s-spiritual-split-from-russia-could-trigger-a-global-schism/ar-BBOfJ0b?ocid=spartandhp

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Addict
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9501 on: October 11, 2018, 11:55:38 PM »
Some may find this interesting. I don't understand much of it as I know nothing about the Eastern Orthodox faith.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine’s-spiritual-split-from-russia-could-trigger-a-global-schism/ar-BBOfJ0b?ocid=spartandhp

Mmm. They're not really competing on matters of theology and faith, but it's the Ukraine/Crimea conflict feeding into a fight over the control of the Orthodox church in Ukraine (and among expatriate Ukrainian orthodox christians). With the Patriarchate of Moscow, which has always had under its mantle the majority of Christians in Ukraine, having sided with Moscow in the standoff between the two countries, Ukraine now wants to take over control of most of the orthodox church parishes - if not openly to the  political rulers, at least bring them over to the Patriarchate of Ukraine which is relatively new on the field, and which would side with the government at Kiev.

In the eastern orthodox world, seniority between churches is very important so this is going to blow up a lot of dust and angry words. :( It really makes me think of what happened in the 16th century, during the Reformation, when Henry VIII, Gustav Vasa of Sweden and many other European kings and princes wanted to gain control of the riches of the church in their country and harness the influence of said church to their own needs as political rulers,

Online Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Shamaniac ~ Melinoë ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9502 on: October 12, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
The SCOTUS is effectively blocking the North Dakota Native Americans from voting: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/411085-native-american-tribe-slams-supreme-court-decision-upholding-north

Offline stormwyrm

• Metaverse Hacker | One Piffle Man | Grandfather of kittehs
  • Knight
  • Seducer
  • We just had a near-life experience!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9503 on: October 13, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
Good grief. We have a hurricane, hurricane Leslie, headed towards Portugal and Spain. The last time something like that happened was in 2005, and before that, the only other hurricane known to have made landfall there was in 1842. Before hitting Spain and Portugal, it will hit Madeira first. It may be the first tropical cyclone to ever hit Madeira in recorded history, which goes back to at least 1420.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2018/10/12/you-are-not-hallucinating-hurricane-leslie-is-headed-toward-spain-and-africa/amp/

You don't often see a hurricane track that looks like this:

Offline Orval Wintermute

« Reply #9504 on: October 14, 2018, 02:53:03 AM »
It's like Putin & co have stopped even trying to pretend there is democracy in Russia. If the 'wrong' person wins just cancel the election after the fact.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/13/communist-challenge-exposes-cracks-putins-power

Offline ShadowFox89

« Reply #9505 on: October 14, 2018, 03:12:29 AM »
 I feel like we're going to see this attempted in the US next.

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #9506 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
Hostage situation in German train Station. Police and Special Forces surrounded the area, its unknown how many hostages have been taken or their status.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hostage-situation-underway-at-cologne-train-station-in-germany/ar-BBOpHcB?ocid=spartanntp

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #9507 on: October 15, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »

Online Lustful Bride

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #9509 on: October 19, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »
American Uighur muslims speak out against China's internment camps, especially if they have family in the camps.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uighur-americans-speak-against-china’s-internment-camps-their-relatives-disappear/ar-BBOzucF?ocid=spartandhp

Very brave of them. Others have had their families intimidated or threatened if they chose to speak out, but silence is China's greatest tool in continuing to put people into camps.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9511 on: October 19, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
Who needs street lights?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/china-plans-to-launch-an-artificial-moon-to-light-up-the-night-skies/ar-BBOAHOu?ocid=spartandhp

Yes, saw that too at another site. Intriguing solution: I was trying to figure out what height of orbit the satellite would need to be in to be able to gather and reflect light into the night zone for several hours. One "natural time zone" (the movement of the sun 'across' the surface of the earth) is 15 meridians, and for China (or central Europe) this would be maybe 1300-1400 km (800-870 miles for you Americans). So if the mirror satellite should be able to lit up the town for six hours after sunset, it needs to be so high that a person travelling with it (or a camera mounted on board) would be able to see the ground more than 8.000 km to the east. I know there is a formula for calculating how far the horizon will be from a mountain of a given height; haven't looked it up but I figure that the height to achieve a horizon of +8.000 km must be at least 1000 km, likely a bit more.

If the "new moon" is meant to be geostationary, and this sounds desirable, it would be placed at a height of around 35.800 km - three times the diameter of the planet, with

Quote from: Wikipedia
a circular geosynchronous orbit 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above Earth's equator and following the direction of Earth's rotation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit

Would have to be a *very* powerful set of mirrors to create a steady pool of light a couple of times more powerful than the moon from 35,000 km up and aimed sharp at a specific city in China! :)

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9512 on: October 19, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »
Now here is the million dollar question. What is the difference between an extremely powerful mirror-aimed orbital nightlight and a space-based laser cannon?

Online TheVillain

« Reply #9513 on: October 19, 2018, 10:53:41 PM »
Speaking as an Astrophysicist, they're pretty close. Just a question of how much Energy exactly would be delivored over what area and what amount of time.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #9514 on: October 20, 2018, 01:56:46 AM »
Now here is the million dollar question. What is the difference between an extremely powerful mirror-aimed orbital nightlight and a space-based laser cannon?

Focal length.

Online Regina Minx

« Reply #9515 on: October 20, 2018, 07:10:53 AM »
Speaking as an Astrophysicist, they're pretty close. Just a question of how much Energy exactly would be delivored over what area and what amount of time.

In the words of Toasty, a toaster is just a death ray with a smaller heating element.

Online TheVillain

« Reply #9516 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
In the words of Toasty, a toaster is just a death ray with a smaller heating element.
Focal length.

In fairness, lighting up China genuinely could be what they have in mind. But yeah, if it wasn't obvious that the USA is run by idiots the fact that nobody's thought of this in DC is proof of it.

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #9517 on: October 20, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
In fairness, lighting up China genuinely could be what they have in mind. But yeah, if it wasn't obvious that the USA is run by idiots the fact that nobody's thought of this in DC is proof of it.

As I love to say, I don't believe in most conspiracy theories about my government because I don't even believe in the competency of my government. ::)

Online TheVillain

« Reply #9518 on: October 20, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
As I love to say, I don't believe in most conspiracy theories about my government because I don't even believe in the competency of my government. ::)

It's definitely the best argument against 9/11 being an inside job.

Y'all need to stop electing religions nutjobs and start electing scientists.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9519 on: October 21, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »

If 9/11 had been an inside job engineered by forces high up in US government agencies, or even by the White House, we would have had some trustworthy eyewitnesses to the actual planning of the conspiracy by now. (And no, this argument can't be transferred to something like the JFK assassination perhaps being engineered by the CIA and/or the Mob: pulling off 9/11 was infinitely more complex, demanding and expensive than assassinating one man in a motorcade).

Online TheGlyphstone

« Reply #9520 on: October 21, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
If 9/11 had been an inside job engineered by forces high up in US government agencies, or even by the White House, we would have had some trustworthy eyewitnesses to the actual planning of the conspiracy by now. (And no, this argument can't be transferred to something like the JFK assassination perhaps being engineered by the CIA and/or the Mob: pulling off 9/11 was infinitely more complex, demanding and expensive than assassinating one man in a motorcade).

Clearly, the conspiracy killed/bribed/recruited/blackmailed everyone who knew the truth. Essentially, the only way to make a conspiracy work is to assume more people are members of said conspiracy than non-members, which is the exact opposite of a conspiracy.

Online TheGlyphstone

Online TheVillain

« Reply #9522 on: October 21, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
It's times like this I like to remind myself that there are several issues where the mean age of the holders of the traditionally conservative side of the issue is at least 20 years older then the mean age of the holders of the traditionally liberal side of the issue and LGBT rights is one of them.

Meaning just sitting tight and waiting for them to die off is a not particularly satisfying but perfectly valid strategy.

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #9523 on: October 21, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
It's times like this I like to remind myself that there are several issues where the mean age of the holders of the traditionally conservative side of the issue is at least 20 years older then the mean age of the holders of the traditionally liberal side of the issue and LGBT rights is one of them.

Meaning just sitting tight and waiting for them to die off is a not particularly satisfying but perfectly valid strategy.

+1  +1 so hard.

Offline elone

« Reply #9524 on: October 21, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »
I was watching MSNBC and they asked a group of people sitting around at a college, "Who is going to vote in November?"

Not one person in a group of about 20 raised their hands in the affirmative.

Crap people, if you don't vote, you can't complain.