You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:23:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the news?  (Read 175530 times)

Valerian and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Retribution

• Lord
  • Addict
  • When I'm good I'm good when I'm bad I'm better
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What's in the news?
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
St. Louis Post did an article now that some of the autopsy results are in from Ferguson http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/autopsy-analysis-michael-brown-may-have-gone-for-darren-wilson%E2%80%99s-gun/ar-BBaA3WG

Offline Avis habilis

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
What the hell? Unknown gunmen have been shooting up Parliament Hill in Ottawa, shot at least one soldier by the war memorial: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-parliament-hill-shooting-live-updates-1.2808737

Offline Retribution

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2014, 12:47:27 PM »
You know what I just realized hasn't been in the news at all as far as I can tell lately? Ukraine. Did it just...stop? Or did people stop caring?

Offline AffablyEvil

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
It seems people stopped caring. I haven't really seen anything from there either lately =/

Online Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
You know what I just realized hasn't been in the news at all as far as I can tell lately? Ukraine. Did it just...stop? Or did people stop caring?
Last thing reported in the Geman news about that concerned a Human Rights Watch report that the Ukrainian military may have used cluster munitions in the conflict in East Ukraine. I have seen a few other reports here and there about a meeting or diplomatic conference taking place now and then with hardly anything concrete coming out of them, but in this case I just cross my fingers that no news is good news.

Offline Retribution

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
Not exactly, in the news last couple days Sweden has been hunting a Russian sub connected with the dust up

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/10/sweden-expands-hunt-for-suspected-russian-sub/

Offline AffablyEvil

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
That was more related however to how Sweden is paranoid that Russia intends to take the operation further, into Sweden and/or Finland, at least from what I can gather from Swedish news.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
Not exactly, in the news last couple days Sweden has been hunting a Russian sub connected with the dust up

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/10/sweden-expands-hunt-for-suspected-russian-sub/

Yep, touchy stuff. You could argue that one single, and likely small, sub doesn't pose a grave instant threat - nobody's thinking Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden next year or something - but it's in a highly sensitive area, close to both the capital and to first-rank naval bases, and with Sweden not being formally a member of any military league (Nato, that is) we're supposed to be able to take care of this kind of intrusion along a very long and indented coastline ourselves. It's about credibility. Keeping the guard up is by no means easy, but necessary.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »

Eh. Saw that, but while it's tangentially connected in the category of 'Putin vs. The World', it wasn't about the actual Ukrainian conflict.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
Eh. Saw that, but while it's tangentially connected in the category of 'Putin vs. The World', it wasn't about the actual Ukrainian conflict.

Nods, but from where I live, it's a good deal shorter distance to Lviv in north-western Ukraine than it is to the northernmost part of Sweden, and the Russian submarine/naval base at Kaliningrad (Königsberg) is about the same distance as Stockholm.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Yeah, I'd figure it would be a much bigger issue for someone who actually lives in Sweden like yourself.

Offline Ephiral

• The Firebrand Logica | Gender Ninja | Their Toy
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Location: In between the lines, outside of the law, underneath the veil
  • Carpe diem per sol delenda.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
Yep, touchy stuff. You could argue that one single, and likely small, sub doesn't pose a grave instant threat - nobody's thinking Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden next year or something - but it's in a highly sensitive area, close to both the capital and to first-rank naval bases, and with Sweden not being formally a member of any military league (Nato, that is) we're supposed to be able to take care of this kind of intrusion along a very long and indented coastline ourselves. It's about credibility. Keeping the guard up is by no means easy, but necessary.

Reminds me of the US's occasional attempts to slip subs under our radar near the North Pole. There's zero real potential for conflict, but they keep trying because trade routes, and we keep having to make a fuss about it to reinforce our territorial claims.

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
Regarding other news I saw today...

I'm usually uninterested in celebrity gossip news, but... what the heck has Renee Zellweger done to her face??? Have you seen her lately..?  :o :o :o

Offline Kythia

• Noooo-one Fights like Kythia no-one bites like Kythia
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • No one chain smokes Marlboro lights like Kythia
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1

« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
Hm. I really don't get this article.

I understand the issue whether it's really okay for a whole media circus to be raised because of Zellweger's face. It's true, it's her body... But I don't get the point about aging - I, for once, have no problem with actresses aging. It's obvious that they do...

Anyway... I know, Zellweger's face is her own business. But she is a publicly known person, there are photos of her all around and... sorry, as a man, I can't really say that I don't see the change or that I appreciate it. Renee Zellweger had a very unique, very pretty face. I found it appealing. Whatever she's done to herself, she doesn't look as pretty now. So, I'm commenting on it...

And it's not like only the female celebrities get their looks commented on...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
I'm not sure who this person is, so w/e.

Offline Kythia

• Noooo-one Fights like Kythia no-one bites like Kythia
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • No one chain smokes Marlboro lights like Kythia
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
I don't want to derail, so I'll keep this brief.  But I think the point of the article, certainly the point of me linking the article, is to encourage thought about the appropriateness and relevance of casually passing comment on her looks.  It's...it's a weird thing to happen to someone.  I'm not trying to reprimand, and that wasn't why I linked.  Just...I dunno.  I don't like it, personally.

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
Well, it's changed in some sense - her face looks more rounded and her skin tone has clearly aged a little - but she hasn't been very visible at major events for the last couple of years, so the way most of us picture her is the way she looked in films, interviews and photo opportunities five to ten years ago. Even Audrey Hepburn and Liz Taylor got a more mature look in time (and so did Bowie and Dylan, though they are guys).

Offline Valthazar

• Writer ͏͏● Educator ● Gamer ● Roleplayer ● Debater ● Tech Connoisseur ● Gym Rat ● Procrastinator ● As they say, "A simple PM may lead to lifelong friendship" ▬▬▬▬
  • Suspended
  • Seducer
  • Proceed and be bold. Embrace your insecurities.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
Some plastic surgeons are saying she has had a brow lift, something done to her eye lids and too much botox.

http://blog.sfgate.com/chronstyle/2014/10/22/bay-area-docs-decode-renee-zellwegers-new-face-a-step-too-far-in-plastic-surgery/

If anything, hopefully this discourages people from doing all this plastic surgery, and just aging naturally.

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »
I don't want to derail, so I'll keep this brief.  But I think the point of the article, certainly the point of me linking the article, is to encourage thought about the appropriateness and relevance of casually passing comment on her looks.  It's...it's a weird thing to happen to someone.  I'm not trying to reprimand, and that wasn't why I linked.  Just...I dunno.  I don't like it, personally.

I don't know. On one hand, I could agree that some world-wide media debate about her face might be inappropriate. On the other hand... I really don't think there's something awfully wrong with us here making comments. We do comment on the looks of some people we meet in RL. Why couldn't we comment on the looks of this or that celebrity?

I mean, I have this Polish actress I find pretty, Joanna Koroniewska. And sorry, I just can't help noticing that her looks are changing for the worse lately. Not because she's aging, but because she seems to be using way too much make-up for my liking. And because she started to dye her hair with that obviously fake, scrambled-eggs-like blonde colour... I really think she looked better with dark hair. Is it that wrong for me to make a comment like that..?

Offline Lanie Elizabeth

• “Butterflies can’t see their wings. They can’t see how truly beautiful they are, but everyone else can. People are like that as well.”
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
I personally think she looks great.  She looks healthy and that's all that matters. :)

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
So, apparently, conditions in Detroit have attracted international attention.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-water-shut-offs-brings-u-n-scrutiny/

Offline Zakharra

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
  I can kind of understand why it drew such attention. It seems like Detroit is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Providing water costs a lot, especially when you account for replacement of water mains and piping and the filters/treatment plants to clean and purify the water. Having to provide it at no cost to non paying consumers will drain the city coffers.   They can't keep supplying it to people who aren't/can't pay. It costs to keep the water system up and running and to pay the workers that run and maintain it. That's not cheap and if they did keep the water running, it will make those who are paying to use the water, wonder why they should pay the city anymore. 

I can also understand those who's water has been cut off.  They need water to live, but cannot pay the city prices for it. But my sympathy is limited; where I live (out in the countryside), if we lose power, we have no water so its up to use to find ways to get water. The country government is not obligated to provide us with water or electricity to get it. If I lived in the city, the city government would not be obliged to provide water if I couldn't pay. I'd have to either pay up, find alternative sources or learn to live without as best I can.

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
So, what's in the news lately?

Back here, the biggest news are the results of Ukrainian elections. Also, last week, our Mashal of the Sejm, Sikorski, had a string of really unfortunate behaviours. They are still being talked about...