You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 08:38:31 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Betta Fish pet?  (Read 446 times)

Offline TheDevilsHexTopic starter

Betta Fish pet?
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
<.<

I bought a small fish tank today, and two Betta fish after reading up on them I realize that alot of people say do not mix the two together in the same tank. Well I have them already together is Is likely they will kill each other? They seem pretty good so far ... Sid is smitten with Nancy. Anyway advice is helpful criticism isn't.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:06:48 PM by xghostx »

Offline Raz

Re: Betta Fist pet?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
<.<

I bought a small fish tank today, and two Betta fish after reading up on them I realize that alot of people say do not mix the two together in the same tank. Well I have them already together is Is likely they will kill each other? They seem pretty good so far ... Sid is smitten with Nancy. Anyway advice is helpful criticism isn't.
Depends. Are they both males? Both females? Or Male and Female?

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
Male . Female.  Its just the two my tank is only 5.5 gallon one.

Offline Raz

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
Well, most people say that putting a female and male together is a bad idea and that it is usually only good to put them together for breeding. However, some say that their fish are fine after being put together(male+female). I guess it would depend on wether or not they are docile, the size of their territory(the bowl) and other such factors.

Though, one thing is for sure, Beta's are solitary fish. So, if you are afraid they will fight, it would be best to seperate them.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
Two males would be a definite fighting situation.  Male and female is a lot less likely.  If they seem content, you probably don't need to rush out and get a second tank.  It might be good to get a barrier to have on hand to separate them if they do get testy.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
A barrier to divide the bowl would be good, just in case...like, a Cut Plastic sheet or something that you can just push down between the two halves. ;3

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
Good idea. Thanks for that.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Everything I've heard about those fish is that it's a bad idea to have two in the same tank.  I've even been told they can't be around other fish.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
Same here I don't know why I bought them lol. I think though it was the fact that I saw like 3 dead betta's in their little cups. I feel bad for those little guys but yeah i am going to be dividing my tank into two sections I though I can find a plastic to do it I was thinking at Lowes or something since they can cut the pieces for me.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
You can often find them pre-sized at fish stores.  They might be listed as something to keep baby fish away from adults, or to keep a breeding pair/female isolated.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
Midnight Diamond on this site has several Beta Fish, you might want to ask her as well.

Offline Elina

• How am I supposed to breathe? I try to relax. I touch your still frame, so I can watch you closer and study the ways I believe I belong to you.
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • I'm drinking what used to be sin.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
I'm a fish hobbyist.  Even bettas do best in a filtered tank with some space.  They are best alone, especially the males.  A male and a female can be kept together, but it's not a good idea.  They may not start out violent, but it is likely to end that way, especially if they're breeding.  Males have been known to get rowdy enough to kill females.

If you'd like a fishkeeping forum site to visit to learn more, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the link.

Offline Safire

Re: Betta Fish pet?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
If you plan on breeding them, you probably want to get a second tank. The adults will eat the eggs and the babies.