You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 02:44:42 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: So, how large is it?  (Read 25015 times)

Offline Blackrock

Re: So, how large is it?
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
25,900 words. I'm not a native speaker, but I expected I knew more truth be told. Guess I still have much to learn, I was literally standing with a dictionary open and looking up those words I didn't know (especially the infamous fourth column lol) thinking "what really?". It's nice being reminded how little vocabulary is actually used in a normal, day-to-day conversation.

Offline Frozen Flame

« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
33,800 words.. Like almost everyone else, those last two columns had me feeling way out of my comfort zone. I should probably try to find more challenging reading material.

Offline Toral Stimins

« Reply #277 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:59 AM »
39,200. But having said that, being a NON-native English speaker, that fact alone helped me a lot. There's a lot of words there that I know from other languages, French, Latin, German even. I can very well imagine that someone who's never spoken any other language than English is going to struggle with many of those words.

Offline Gallows

« Reply #278 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
39,200. But having said that, being a NON-native English speaker, that fact alone helped me a lot. There's a lot of words there that I know from other languages, French, Latin, German even. I can very well imagine that someone who's never spoken any other language than English is going to struggle with many of those words.

I came out at 33,500 as a native English speaker, which shows me there's still more for me to learn even at my age, but I certainly don't claim to be any kind of scholar beyond a standard high school education and a passion for reading.

But I agree with your point Toral, English is a language that has so many other influences and other languages, that there can be a lot you can deduce or understand from knowing the equivalent in other languages.  I guess it just shows the multi-cultural (or at least multi-conquest) history of Britain, with our mixture of native Celtic roots, Roman, Anglo-Saxon and Nordic settlers/invaders, the influence of the Norman French conquerors and so forth.

We also seem to be a culture that assimilates words, from French and Latin elements becoming fashionable in the nineteenth century, through of picking up all kinds of words from our days of Empire, from India especially.

Offline Toral Stimins

« Reply #279 on: October 28, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
I came out at 33,500 as a native English speaker, which shows me there's still more for me to learn even at my age, but I certainly don't claim to be any kind of scholar beyond a standard high school education and a passion for reading.

But I agree with your point Toral, English is a language that has so many other influences and other languages, that there can be a lot you can deduce or understand from knowing the equivalent in other languages.  I guess it just shows the multi-cultural (or at least multi-conquest) history of Britain, with our mixture of native Celtic roots, Roman, Anglo-Saxon and Nordic settlers/invaders, the influence of the Norman French conquerors and so forth.

We also seem to be a culture that assimilates words, from French and Latin elements becoming fashionable in the nineteenth century, through of picking up all kinds of words from our days of Empire, from India especially.

I was surprised, to say the very least, about the absence of more 'Ye olde English' words. Having lived in England for nearly 7 years now, I never come across Latin words, or French ones. Where as for instance in the Netherlands (where I come from) words as parapluie (umbrella), portemonnaie (wallet) are common, I very rarely see words here that I can remember from my school days. The funniest word that I knew on that list was williwaw, but that's only because someone on a forum I used to frequent (football) had that as her user name.

With these sorts of quizzes/questionnaires (well, there's a French word) it's often hit and miss. Now I scored high and tomorrow with a slightly different one, I might be rock bottom.

I have to look up a '100 things' list from The Times (newspaper), they had a great one about 100 foods you should have eaten.

Offline Haloriel

• Original Beauty | Alluring Erudite | Perfervid Romanticist
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Ogling your gluteus maximus with a most respectful air, of course. One part devious.
  • Dance with me, darling. I'll show you the stars.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
... Gonna go crawl in my hole with books.  Came out with an estimate of 44,600.

Offline phoenyx

• We are sometimes taken into troubled waters, not to be drowned, but to be cleansed.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Wandering the Dark, poking into the nooks and crannies...
  • Child of Chaos
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »
31,500 words

huh very interesting. thanks for the link *grins*

Offline ladia2287

« Reply #282 on: November 26, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
29100 :)

Offline Passion and Desire

« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Very interesting link, thanks for sharing! I'm clocking in at an estimated 27,000 words (as a non-native speaker).

My reaction when I saw columns 3 and 4 in step 2: "Mmhm. Yeah. Mmhm. Oh, yeah yeah yeah. I know some of these words." ;D

... Gonna go crawl in my hole with books.  Came out with an estimate of 44,600.
*stares in utter awe* :o

Offline Keelan

« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
33,300 Words, Native (USA) English Speaker

Huh, higher than I thought it'd be... fun test though! ;3

Offline Boyd34

« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »
23,700 words
At least I can spell my own name... sometimes that is.

Offline Lux12

• Eccentric Occult Glam Agent of The Unknowable.
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

I know I have a rather sizable vocabulary, but I hadn't thought it was quite so massive. I'd dare say it's still something of a shock.

Offline Paladin101

« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
  32,400 words. Last couple columns were a pain in the butt though have to say.

Offline slaveaziza

« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »
Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
20,300 words.

I expected this to be a much larger number considering how much I love to read and am always looking for definitions of words.

Offline DarkHunter

« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
21 700
I'm still young :) lots of learning to do still.

Offline despickable

• I'm A Sex Object Whenever I Ask For Sex They Object
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »
27,200 words.
I thought i would have rated higher but after looking at how they set it up what was taken out like slang and foreign words used in everyday speech, then I figure i did pretty good, well fine etc
The last column I knew about four words one or two I had heard before but couldn't put  meaning to.
Still it was fun doing it

Offline Crimzon Dragon

« Reply #291 on: January 06, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
23,900 words...looks to be on the low side of normal...geez, and I thought I had a good grasp of the language.  Definitely have to do more reading.

Offline Andi

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
~37,000 , non-native speaker. Didn't think I was /that/ erudite...

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer
  • Champion
  • Enchanter
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
36.400. Non-native and so far haven't lived in an English-speaking country for more than a month in one go, but it's not hard to get heavily exposed to English whether on E, at univewrsity or in Scandinavia in general. Guess I qualify as bilingual, or trilingual, including French.

I daresay I picked up most of my higher English skills outside of the classroom.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:43:44 PM by gaggedLouise »

Offline Amelita

« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
29.400. Non native and never lived in an English speaking country (visits counting a total of a single month), I consider this a score I can be proud of ^^

Especially considering this: "And for foreign learners of English, we've found that the most common vocabulary size is from 2,500–9,000 words."

But then, I doubt those numbers include a large total of people who write fiction regularly in English and converse in that language on daily basis...

And wow you guys, with over 35.000... 

Offline Sho

« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »
36,000 words, as a native speaker. Started to feel like an idiot by the end of the fourth column, though - I didn't check off the boxes, but I made sure to look the words up! At least I learned some new things. Thought I was going crazy, though…there were more than enough that I didn't know, which I found a bit embarrassing, considering I grew up speaking this language...

Offline Empress

« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
26,600 words

Though English IS my second language, I've been writing in English for years, this kinda made me feel stupid, haha.

Offline Kane

« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
27 100

Non-Native English speaker, and have nothing to do with any languages that English has drawn influence either (My native language is Finnish), yet it's better than average native English speaker (of my age) so I'm quite happy with it.

Though, I too was made to feel dumb by the last column, though I picked quite a few points there just because I'm a sucker for weird words and then to know a lot of them.

Offline Sahariel

« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »

32,200 more than a year later.

Offline Friday

« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:16 AM »
36,8000.  I saw a number of words in the 4th column of the 2nd page that I knew I'd seen before, but had apparently never bothered to learn the meaning of.