After playing the BETA weekend of the Secret World I would say this game definitely falls into my 'interesting' category, I actually have no doubt I am going to dabble in the game at some point even after the weekend BETA (which was rather buggy but then again that was expected).
I will say that this game is a lot darker, more urban, and has a bit of a 'horror' feel to it, which I liked. I will say that if you generally enjoy role playing within game settings, this game will open up the door to such play. That being said, what level of role play that will happen in there is I guess dependant on how much freedom Funcom allow. With their past game they generally aimed their game at the 18+ crowd. It will be interesting to see if Role play does develop in there.
The game itself I enjoyed, but to summarise the points that I would say were important to me:
- Custom characters - Like any MMO there is limited options, I would say it's on par with Skyrim or AoC, gives you enough options to make you different.
- Movie Scenes - I enjoyed these, great video, great story. I would say it helps you get a feel for what your character is.
- Loading and Cut scenes - In BETA these were sluggish, I am hoping that is a BETA issue, I spent a lot of time on static cut screens
- General game play - Fun, lot of areas to explore, there is a huge opportunity here for general role play. Part of me hopes they have realised the need for a role play type game. The way you can enter shops, hang around and sit around makes it seem if they did...but it'll remain to be seen.
- Combat - Sluggish and needs a bit of work, but its on par with most other systems out there.
- Community - Who knows, the BETA community was large, and generally friendly. Like any other MMO though its purely 'luck'
Generally I liked the game, but the pricing model is a bit confusing. You have to pay for the game, game time subscription, character customisation etc. I can see this game getting expensive to play, which no one wants.
That being said, the master pack gives you life time subscription. There is a little confusion as to whether that also means 'game time' but I think it does (that is personal opinion though, they are still dithering on the actual answer, but personally, if they are offering life time subs, and also charging you 'game time' I think there will be a riot!) I would say though..play the game first on a lower 30 day game time sub. If you think you are going to play it for at least a year....grab the master pack, it'll be worth it. (for example £10 monthly subscription plus character slots when needed...in 12 months, you'll pay more than you would if you bought the master pack).
If you want to know anything else about the game throw me a PM and will be glad to answer any questions. Know though that this is purely 'my' opinion. Any loss or damage as a result from acting on these opinions will not be listened to