You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 10:11:50 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Usage - bare, bared, bore?  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Usage - bare, bared, bore?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »
Again no scat.
What do you tell the cat?
This thread is a hoot.
Okay.  Gotta scoot.

Offline Story Tale

• Anoesis Addict
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »
*snickers* I wish my English teacher had made these sort of non requests.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
Again no scat.
What do you tell the cat?
This thread is a hoot.
Okay.  Gotta scoot.

And in clerihew, no less.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
*laughs*  I learned about it in high school but wasn't thinking (consciously) of the form when I wrote it.  Thanks for noticing.

Offline Izzie Aditi

• | Pretty eyed, pirate smile| The girl with the short skirt and the long jacket| Sapiosexual|
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Great minds think alike,dirty minds think together
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
Language question for you from a non-native speaker. I keep hearing Americans say *whole entire* like "whole entire time/body etc". If I did that in my native tongue, it would be a tautology (I sure as hell hope I translated that correctly). Is whole entire (the same in my book) an exception of some kind or merely used together to stress and emphasize the "wholeness"? Or are the people saying that (I hear it all the time on tv) just failing dramatically?

Offline Caeli

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 04:11:53 AM »
It's just slang. I'd guess that it's to emphasize "entire" rather than whole, though.

Offline GothicFires

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 06:50:58 AM »
*whole entire* is redundant, repeating the same thing twice. It's an example of bad grammar that one gets used to as they grow up and find it difficult to change. I've never used the words 'whole entire' in my whole entire life (oops) but I say things like 'i'm going to fix dinner' well dinner was never broken as it didn't exist to be broken. It should be 'I'm going to make dinner' but I never say it correctly even though I cringe when the word fix comes out of my mouth.  :-[

Offline Story Tale

• Anoesis Addict
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »
In New Orleans they have some very cute grammatical errors, one of my favorites might be that they say when someone is going to the grocery store to buy groceries, they are going to "go make groceries." Don't ask me how you make groceries but in New Orleans, that's what you do.

Offline ZeitgeistTopic starter

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
*whole entire* is redundant, repeating the same thing twice. It's an example of bad grammar that one gets used to as they grow up and find it difficult to change. I've never used the words 'whole entire' in my whole entire life (oops) but I say things like 'i'm going to fix dinner' well dinner was never broken as it didn't exist to be broken. It should be 'I'm going to make dinner' but I never say it correctly even though I cringe when the word fix comes out of my mouth.  :-[

That's the problem with learning a language. You don't truly learn it until you've been immersed into it for a suitable period of time.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
Shouldn't it be "personified by his worshippers..."? Since it is the worshippers who are doing the personification.

Also, must dash, I can feel another great vowel shift coming on...!

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
Shouldn't it be "personified by his worshippers..."? Since it is the worshippers who are doing the personification.

Also, must dash, I can feel another great vowel shift coming on...!

You're probably right. Could perhaps go either way. Incidentally worshipers can be spelled with one 'p' or two, either is correct.

I decided to dispense with 'personified' altogether in favor of a more straight forward sentence.

The priestess let slip the raiment from her shoulders and laid bare her breasts before the light of the moon. Nanna, he was know as, with his many faces and the one man she would submit to.

Offline Ty

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
To reference the earlier subject of the thread, for some reason I like the idea of a lady 'disclosing' her breast, if the moon or it's light are being anthropomorphized.

Offline Haibane

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »
It would seem that "worshipped" is the English spelling but "worshiped" is the U.S. English spelling. They're not interchangable (like colour and color). Another American spelling I wasn't aware of. New thing learned for today!

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
It would seem that "worshipped" is the English spelling but "worshiped" is the U.S. English spelling. They're not interchangable (like colour and color). Another American spelling I wasn't aware of. New thing learned for today!

How is it they are not interchangeable? The certainly mean the same thing. One would only want to be consistent of course.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:56:16 AM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Haibane

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
I meant if you're a United States national, writing a piece to be published in America, its one 'p'. If you're British and writing a piece to be published in Britain you use two.

In the same way that being British and writing the Queen's English, 'color' is a wrong spelling, while in the USA it's correct.

Online Oreo

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 12:01:20 PM »
I find myself using both variations of English, American and British. The colour comes in handy when I want a more formal sounding character.