You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 05, 2016, 02:50:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.  (Read 24716 times)

Offline Avis habilis

I'd rather WEG Star Wars over d20 still.

Likewise. For me, class & level & Star Wars go together like maple walnut ice cream & pesto sauce.

Which is to say, not.

Offline KaylaM

I allways wanted to try Star Wars for HERO system, but I was too lazy to do the conversions myself.

Offline AtlasEros

I'd love to get to play Paranoia.

I'm currently running a Mutants & Masterminds game.

Offline DarklingAlice

There are far too many games in my collection that I have never played, but if I had to pick one of the top of my head...In Nomine. I really like the look of it. Unfortunately religion is about the only taboo subject amongst my IRL gaming group and I doubt a game of angels & demons would go over smoothly.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Demon: The Fallen, another good one I could have fun with ::)

Offline Crazy

I'd really like to play the Battlestar Galactica RPG,  and introduce some serious drama to my gaming group.  I'd like to cast the players as the headline characters of the show,  and run the events episodically as they are described in series.  Another exciting idea whould be to have the players as Cylons and work towards the extinction of the human race.

I can never pique anyone's interest in the Cthulu RPG,  people who have never played it are hard to convince and people who have played it are not interested in a game where "you either die or go insane."

Cyberpunk is a rich universe with netrunners and corporates and fixers,  but the game is often relagated to a 'Friday Night Firefight' as problem solving solutions are rare in a game where the characters are armed to the teeth.

I do run an exciting Paranoia game from time to time,  but these are usually one offs that result in a mix of apathy for characters that are doomed from the start to a series of revenge killings.

Offline DarklingAlice

I can never pique anyone's interest in the Cthulu RPG,  people who have never played it are hard to convince and people who have played it are not interested in a game where "you either die or go insane."
Try getting them in for a round of Cthulhu Dark. It's super rules light so it cuts down on player investment that way you can sell them on the idea of Lovecraftain horror first and then wean them onto a more complex system if that is your fancy.

I find the biggest obstacle to getting my players to play something new is the prospect of having to learn a new system.

Offline MasterMischief

I have run two sessions of PDQ/PDQ#, but have not had the opportunity to actually play in it.

I would also like to try FATE, any flavor.

I would not mind giving Savage Worlds a go.

Offline KaylaM

I've found that more often then not Call of Cuthulu (and other Lovecraftian games) tend to fall apart for one of two reasons. The first is that players just don't like no-win scenarios. Yes, survival is a "win" in and of itself, but players tend to appreciate something more tangible (ie, beating the crap out of the monster and stealing it's loot) then that. Speaking as someone who has been both player and GM, I fully understand the feeling and tend to sympathise with it - it's hard to enjoy a game where you know the outcome in advance.

The second is that GMs often take advantage of the "no-win" nature of the game as a way of 'punishing' players. Rather then survival horror, it quickly becomes a kill-fest of ensuring that the characters all die as horribly as possible and revelling in it

Offline TheGlyphstone

I've always felt the 'everyone dies or goes insane' mindset of CoC to be 'doin' it wrong', so to speak. The true feel of the mythos comes together when you die and go crazy, yes, but you don't do it wastefully. You sacrifice yourself to disrupt the cult's portal spewing forth an army of Shoggoths, or deliberately read the forbidden tome backwards and go nuts to foil the summoning of Shub-Niggurath. You've given your lives and minds to win your victory...and the horror is that in the end, the greater scheme of things doesn't care. They'll try again, years from now, with a different cult, and the world's only hope is that another band of investigators will appear to confront the evil in your place.

Offline Callie Del NoireTopic starter

I played several campaigns with a very good GM. Half the time we 'brushed' the Mythos connection. Stuff like the kid who dabbled and unleashed a bunch of deep ones or created zombies in an attempt to reap vengence. (that went very very very badly.. but made for an interesting Sadie Hawkin's dance.)

When REAL mythos elements creep out.. it comes down to this.

Do you fight it right up front? (Like my brother's Merc who stumbled into into an Insane Revelation and hosed down the Boston PD and three SWAT teams before going down)

Or did you get clever (shoving a fuel truck down the critter's throat, amazing what you can do with a cinderblock and repair skill)

Or hop in a car and move to the next time zone.

The secret is options. Don't let the players do an end run into a no win, give them options..even if they aren't all good.

Offline MasterMischief

The problem I have encountered with any horror campaign is the one player who never takes it seriously.

Offline Marikir

I think that is actually part of the reason why I like human World of Darkness games or Unknown Armies.  They have that feeling of weird, almost unknowable/unnameable horrors, and yet you feel like you can do something about it. 

UA also has an interesting madness system, one that I'd really like to try out.

Offline Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
I'd love to play any WoD that I know to be honest >.>

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
I'd like to try Changeling The Dreaming, but the rest of the WoD I could take or leave.

Offline Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
I know nothing of Changeling, so far have only read Apocalypse and Masquerade, as well as the Eastern Supplements for both. Just started reading Mage though

Online HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling:_The_Dreaming

Very modern day fairy tales, so to speak.

It has a VERY different feel to Changeling The Lost. Lost is much darker.

Offline Avis habilis

PCs in Lost are also humans, if I remember right. They're all escapees from captivity among the fairies. In Dreaming the PCs were actual "fae kith". Our Dreaming party was two sluagh, a sidhe & a selkie.

Offline TheGlyphstone

PCs in Lost are also humans, if I remember right. They're all escapees from captivity among the fairies. In Dreaming the PCs were actual "fae kith". Our Dreaming party was two sluagh, a sidhe & a selkie.

Not really. You were humans when you were captured, but spending time as the captives of the True Fae turned you into a Changeling, a part-fae part-human, and you never 'get better'. Ever - it's not nicknamed Abuse Victim: The Therapy needlessly.

Offline Avis habilis

Huh - I thought the changeling bit in Lost referred to the fae having left one in your place when they carried you off. Good to know.

Offline TheGlyphstone

Nope, those are called Fetches (constructs made of rubbish and animated by Fae magic), and they don't always do it. It's part of the pathos of Lost, when a newly escape changeling returns from ten years in Arcadia, only to find out it's been thirty real-world years and a Fetch who looks and acts just like them has been living their life all this time.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Nope, those are called Fetches (constructs made of rubbish and animated by Fae magic), and they don't always do it. It's part of the pathos of Lost, when a newly escape changeling returns from ten years in Arcadia, only to find out it's been thirty real-world years and a Fetch who looks and acts just like them has been living their life all this time.

Glad I never picked up the nWoD.  That flies in the face of so many myths that it makes me wonder when White Wolf fired their research staff.

(A 'fetch' in every single other story I've read is an image that one sees that is an omen of their own death.  A duplicate is normally referred to as a 'changeling', although 'doppelgänger' is another possible term.)

Offline TheGlyphstone

Seems like a minor complaint relative to how much else they changed between the Old and New Changeling, but okay.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
As I've never picked up the books, I haven't seen the rest of the changes.  I never hit nWoD because (in my opinion) oWoD wasn't 'broken'.  Hence, no need to get a whole new set of books.  I've heard complaints about new Vampire and new Werewolf, but so few of the people in my current circles play Changeling that this is the first concrete example I've seen.  (I'd pretty much assumed that nWoD Changeling would be a mess, but this confirmed it.)

Offline Callie Del NoireTopic starter

As I've never picked up the books, I haven't seen the rest of the changes.  I never hit nWoD because (in my opinion) oWoD wasn't 'broken'.  Hence, no need to get a whole new set of books.  I've heard complaints about new Vampire and new Werewolf, but so few of the people in my current circles play Changeling that this is the first concrete example I've seen.  (I'd pretty much assumed that nWoD Changeling would be a mess, but this confirmed it.)

I don't think the folks at White Wolf had much of a choice. They lost a lot of the IP when they bought out the orginal owners. Look at how patchwork the old stuff was put into the nWoD. Folks who wrote the orignal books screwed them from what I heard.