You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 08:23:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.  (Read 24720 times)

Offline Black Howling

• Lady Luna's Werewolf, Blitzy's Otis, Lizzy's Alpha Comfort, Sephy's Cloak, Vampy's Other man, Always Big and Bad
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Even Bad Wolves can be good
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Glad I never picked up the nWoD.  That flies in the face of so many myths that it makes me wonder when White Wolf fired their research staff.

(A 'fetch' in every single other story I've read is an image that one sees that is an omen of their own death.  A duplicate is normally referred to as a 'changeling', although 'doppelgänger' is another possible term.)
Fetch can mean doppelganger, actually. I imagine it was to reduce redundancy.

Offline Callie Del NoireTopic starter

I am contemplating getting the 20th Annuversary edition of Vampire:The Masquerade when it comes out.

Offline consortium11

Glad I never picked up the nWoD.  That flies in the face of so many myths that it makes me wonder when White Wolf fired their research staff.

(A 'fetch' in every single other story I've read is an image that one sees that is an omen of their own death.  A duplicate is normally referred to as a 'changeling', although 'doppelgänger' is another possible term.)

A "fetch" meaning a supernatural double or apparition of a living person has a long history in Irish and Northern English folklore... there's the wiki article and a quick google search for "fetch folklore" reveals more.

I haven't actually heard the term "fetch" used to describe the situation you suggest... I've heard it used to describe the disembodied ghost of a living person that appear to distant friends and relations (as opposed to the individual themselves) at the very moment before the death of those they represent and fetch-light or fetch candle being a light appearing at night and which supposedly foretells someone's death.

Offline Marikir

Let me preface this by saying that, frankly, I knew the oWoD like the back of my hand.  I could run anything in that game system, with very little planning, cause I was so versed in the universe/setting, that I made it sit up and beg. 

That stated...I actually like the nWoD.  No, I'm not as familiar with the new setup, but...there's plenty in the new system and the new setting that I actually enjoy.  Vampire, Mage, and Changeling, actually, are my favorites.  I even like the vanilla human options for nWoD games.

The oWoD was the system I played when I was a young adult.  It spoke to me and probably influenced a lot of my development into the person I am.  I know and accept this.  It will always have a huge space in my mindspace, even now.

But, I do think they did more than an acceptable job in updating the system and the setting.  (Besides, I think the new Changeling meshes better with the setting than the old one ever did.  But, that's my own opinion.)

Frankly, I'd just like to play any PnP game.  I haven't done that in a LONG time...

I always felt that Changeling and the Ghost oWoD games didn't fit too well in the oWoD setting.. coming in as late as they did. Of course my Charlotte by Night game had the Wild Hunt running through the area (after the Tremere tried to use them to leverage the three elders in the city out of power, backfired BADLY).

Nothing worse than the Malk in the group feeding on a faerie. For two terrifying days his character was SANE. Which was bad given the better part of a century as a vampire..

Online Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Imfinewhydoyouask? Canyoutastetime?Ican
  • View My Rolls
I wonder if it'd be possible to set up an oWoD game via Mumble o.O

Offline Black Howling

• Lady Luna's Werewolf, Blitzy's Otis, Lizzy's Alpha Comfort, Sephy's Cloak, Vampy's Other man, Always Big and Bad
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Even Bad Wolves can be good
  • View My Rolls
I wonder if it'd be possible to set up an oWoD game via Mumble o.O
More then a few people on E have mentioned that system games via mumble work out decently. So I'd say it's probably true.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Y'all are sorely tempting me to get a headphone/mic setup.

Just saying.

Online Braioch

• Devil. Mad Scientist. King of Debauchery. Brat Prince. Duke of Snark. Warlock of Orgies.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
I'd be extremely interested in doing so, so long as there was a GM willing as well...

-ponders-

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
I've been running L5R on mumble for a few weeks now. I use the dice roller on E. It's working out fine so far.

Online Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
Which means gathering interest, deciding on what to play and finding a willing GM and players....

20th Anniversary Edition of Vampire the Masquerade

http://www.vampirethemasquerade.com/

Offline kairotox

I'd love to find a group that could get into a Serenity RPG.  (captain mal ftw)
I have several different items for it! I have the main book explaining all the rules, and the game master's screen, and 2 info books on stuff that goes on in the serenity universe. Maybe, if i get accepted in, we could do a play-through online?

Offline DarklingAlice

As I've never picked up the books, I haven't seen the rest of the changes.  I never hit nWoD because (in my opinion) oWoD wasn't 'broken'.  Hence, no need to get a whole new set of books.

This pretty much mirrors my mindset, with two exceptions:
1. The generic stuff released for nWOD is surprisingly quite playable: starting you off with human mechanics (which can be used nicely for any type of horror from classic ghost stories to Lovecraft) was actually a pretty interesting idea.

2. Geist. Oh I love Geist so much. It is like several things in the oWOD (most notable Demon and Wraith), but it also really stands out as something new and fascinating. If you are going to do a new World of Darkness actually give us something new instead of just rehashing vampires and werewolves. And Geist is proof that they can do that, but just aren't...

Online Braioch

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
Finally went through and made a thread for the non-forum area ::)

Decided to stick with Masquerade, Apocalypse and Kindred of the East. Even have a character for the first two as they seem the most likely. Not too many people have really read KotE so far as I can tell.

Offline Genbu83

Likely BESM, GURPS, and Scion.

Oh yeah.. I forgot one.. The Unisystem. :D

Offline Polymorph

I'm trying to imagine my old roleplaying groups faces if I'd suggested playing a campaign with these rules and setting.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
St Trinians, the RPG?

Offline Polymorph

St Trinians, the RPG?

As near as you could get without risking a copyright case.

Offline MasterMischief

How many dice do I roll for penis size?   :P

Online TheGlyphstone

How many dice do I roll for penis size?   :P

You're thinking of FATAL. :D

Offline MasterMischief

You're thinking of FATAL. :D

...or just about any role playing game GMed by a 13 year old male.

Offline slowmojoe

Re: RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
Has anyone played or GM'ed using the Stargate RPG system? Is it any good? I miss Thor a lot.

Online TheGlyphstone

Re: RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

...or just about any role playing game GMed by a 13 year old male.

No, the average 13 year old male is more mature than the stuff you'll find in FATAL.