What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

Oniya

Quote from: Al Terego on September 08, 2023, 07:39:26 PM
https://apnews.com/article/saudi-arabia-death-sentence-twitter-a2b5549806605d1d21f332ac4c36e43f

Since the URL is pretty vague: 
Quote from: from articleA Saudi court has sentenced a man to death over his posts on X, formerly known as Twitter, and his activity on YouTube, the latest in a widening crackdown on dissent in the kingdom that has drawn international criticism.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Keelan

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on September 08, 2023, 08:18:16 PM
but elon said he would defend anyone who got in trouble for a tweet! Surely he wasnt lying?!

If I could roll my eyes any harder, I'm pretty sure I'd have torn all of my ocular muscles.

Vekseid

The Saudis provided part of the financing for his takeover of Twitter. I imagine it was above board and he never gave them access to any special information.

ShadowFox89

Oil is the lube used for fucking the safety and wellbeing of humanity.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 09, 2023, 06:40:26 PM
Oil is the lube used for fucking the safety and wellbeing of humanity.

I didn't realize they were using lube for that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Remember that infamous incident from the end of 2022, when Poland's Chief of Police accidently fired a grenade launcher in his own office?

Krzysztof Brejza, a prominent opposition senator (and one of the victims of Pegasus surveillance) just released photos taken in the CoP's office shortly after the incident:

https://twitter.com/KrzysztofBrejza/status/1703678158539563387

Yes, that *is* a literal hole in the floor...

And let me remind you: the CoP wasn't sanctioned by the government after all of this at all. On the contrary, he was considered to be a victim in this incident...

Beguile's Mistress

Hole in the floor?  His shoelaces did it!

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Beorning on September 18, 2023, 10:33:59 AM

And let me remind you: the CoP wasn't sanctioned by the government after all of this at all. On the contrary, he was considered to be a victim in this incident...

Is it sad I am not even surprised?

I mean.. yes it is sad, and I am not even surprised.

Beorning

Yeah, the government keeps saying that nothing important happened... Just an everyday occurence at a major institution...

The PiS government simply protects people that do what they are told, even if they are incompetent or corrupt. Heck, Kaczyński seems to like having such people around, as he can leverage their dirt to ensure obedience  >:(

BTW. I just read the stats on the amount of time TVP (Polish state TV) spends on showing different political parties. In 2023 Q2, PiS politicians got around 250 hours. Meanwhile, the KO members (KO being the biggest opposition party) got... 10 hours.

Any doubts whether Poland is still a democratic country?

Beorning

Continuing with Poland-related news: aaaaargh! *boils in anger*

This is what happened just today:

https://tvn24.pl/tvn24-news-in-english/polish-police-detain-an-opposition-mp-for-protesting-at-government-rally-7351476

Two opposition MPs, Sen. Paweł Kowal and Dep. Kinga Gajewska, organized a small manifestation in Otwock to spread the awareness of the ongoing Polish visa scandal*. The (fully legal) manifestation was organized not far from a government rally. At one point, Kinga Gajewska pulled out a loudspeaker to make herself more noticeable to the people around... and, at this point, the police literally dragged her out of the gathering and forced her into a police van!

While this was happening, both Dep. Gajewska and Sen. Kowal were protesting loudly, informing the cops that Gajewska is an MP (meaning, she has immunity). The people around (including at least one TV crew) also told the cops that. Despite all of this, the cops didn't give Gajewska any chance to present her MP ID. Instead, they grabbed her, forcibly walked her to a police van and threw her inside. Only then, she was given a chance to show her ID...

My country is going to hell  :-(

*regarding the aforementioned Polish visa scandal... now that's a mess. I can explain it further, if anyone is interested.

Missy

Quote from: Beorning on September 18, 2023, 02:09:58 PM
The PiS government simply protects people that do what they are told, even if they are incompetent or corrupt. Heck, Kaczyński seems to like having such people around, as he can leverage their dirt to ensure obedience  >:(

Standard Dictator stuff

RedPhoenix

Would some nice person feel like making a new version of this more than four year old thread so that those of use who have lost interest in seeing it on our replies can be spared? Thank you!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

GloomCookie

My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022