You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 10:17:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Genre list suggestions  (Read 2149 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Re: Genre list suggestions
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »
What about a horror genre? I love RPing like Resident evil style storyline.

The word between high fantasy and low fantasy? >_>

Offline Chat Noir

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »
Maybe I'm just retarded but I can't find the actual list to look at.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:26:43 PM by Chat Noir »

Offline stormkitten

• Dark Goddess of Rain
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Psycho Kitten Wants to Play Violently
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 12
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »
My suggestion would be options of which boards we would prefer to play on. By what board we says a lot about ones tastes and preference.

Non-Adult Role Plays

Play-By-Post: Light

Play-By-Post: Bondage, D/s, S&M

Play-By-Post: Non-Consensual Human

Play-By-Post: Non-Consensual Exotic

Play-By-Post: Extreme

ect

Maybe expanded to includ the sub boards....

Offline Wistful Dream

• ✧ ~ ✦ ~ Bright Star ~ ✦ ~ ✧ ☾ A Dragon's Mariposa ☽ ~ * ~ A Captain's Princess ~ * ~ An Imp's Vixen
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • I know my value.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
Supernatural might be handy, not as in the show, but in werewolves and vampires, its something modern, but...fantasyish.

Also what is Wuxia?

Offline Caeli

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
Wikipedia article on wuxia:

"Wuxia or Wǔxiá (武俠) is a broad genre of Chinese fiction that concerns itself with martial arts adventures set primarily in ancient China. Although traditionally a literary art form, it is now also found in art, comics, films, games, television, theatre, and other media. Wuxia forms a large part of popular culture for most Chinese-speaking communities around the world.

The word "wuxia" is a compound word composed from the words xia (俠, "honorable", "chivalrous"), which is the philosophy of the Chinese knight-errant, and wu (武, "martial", "military"), from the Chinese term wushu (武術, "martial arts" or "kungfu"). A martial artist who follows the code of xia is often referred to as a "swordsman" in works of wuxia, although he may not necessarily wield a sword. He is also sometimes called a xiake (俠客, lit: "follower of xia") or yóuxiá (游俠, "wandering xia").

The heroes in Chinese wuxia do not usually serve a lord, wield military power or belong to the aristocratic class. They are often from the lower social classes in ancient Chinese society. Wuxia heroes are usually bound by a code of martial chivalry, that requires them to right wrongs, especially when the helpless are oppressed. The wuxia hero fought for righteousness, typically, seeking to remove an oppressor, or to bring retribution for past wrong-doing. The Chinese xia traditions are similar to those of the Japanese samurai's bushido, the chivalry of the Western European knights and the gunslingers of America's Westerns."

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
Wuxia would be Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and the Matrix. Over the top martial arts prowess shakes the world sort of thing.

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 04:51:23 PM »
Maybe even Big Trouble in Little China.

Offline Krysia

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »
What about something like All Flesh Must Be Eaten for Systems? Yes I know it would fall under the horror genre but it's still a system so you can play horror games with out creating your own home brewed system.

And instead of calling World of Darkness "Storyteller", why not call it by the company that made it, White Wolf? Or perhaps put up the genres they have, such as V:TM or V:TR, W:TA or W:TF? (No it doesn't mean what the fuck, pretty funny though.)

I know I'm not going to hunt down people when looking over those profiles for people who have "Storyteller" in them because it'll just make me think that they're ST's and not actually looking for people interested in other White Wolf games.

Also having just a general "Storyteller" label doesn't mean much for White Wolf games. It clumps all of us together when we might not know all of the game systems they put out. I for one know V:TM like the back of my hand and might not know Mage at all, but by having a generalized "Storyteller" label someone might ask me if I'm interested in playing Mage even if I don't know it.

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
what was the AFMBE / Buffy system called? I should go grab the book >_>

I would actually prefer to make that distinction in settings, really. I think it's the setting that draws us to a particular world, regardless - I have all of the Hunter books but despised every other old World of Darkness crittergame.

Online Ty

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
Unisystem, IIRC. Maybe 'Cinematic Unisystem'

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »
Unisystem, I think.

Offline Krysia

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »
I have all of the Hunter books but despised every other old World of Darkness crittergame.

I know Vampire: Sabbat like the back of my hand but I hate it now so I know what you mean. :)

Offline Saku

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »
Supernatural might be handy, not as in the show, but in werewolves and vampires, its something modern, but...fantasyish.
Also what is Wuxia?

You could say Paranormal/Occult instead of Supernatural. That way people who want to play Supernatural TV Show wouldn't get confused. :) *like me shhhhh!* xD

Also on the whole Canon/TV shows etc... that genre I was thinking you could label it either Media-Based RPs or FanFiction :) And yes I think we should have an Anime genre too. Horror would also be a good thing to put up *nods* along with Modern/Realistic etc...

But those are just my thoughts. Amazing job Veks!

Offline kylie

• Bratty Princess of Twisty, Creeping Secrets. Frilly | Fussy | Framed | Dreamy | Glam | Risky | Sporty | Rapt | Tease | Ironic | Shadowed | Struggling | Whispery | Bespelled
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Darkly sweet femme for rich & insidious scenarios.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »

Comment on the mouseover byline, but...  Are thrillers necessarily fast-paced?  Would there be another category for Suspense, then?