You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 04:07:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Teabag Obama!  (Read 7864 times)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Teabag Obama!
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
However, constitutionally, the South did have the right to secede.  Yes, they lost, but it was the costliest war in American lives up to that point.

I'm not saying that Texas is smart to put this on the table, but it's not against any federal law or Constitutional principle.

Online Vekseid

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
It's still America's costliest war ever. Pretty sure it trumps every other war combined.

Losing Texas would be the end of the Republican party on a national scale, however.

Offline Nessy

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
However, constitutionally, the South did have the right to secede.  Yes, they lost, but it was the costliest war in American lives up to that point.

I'm not saying that Texas is smart to put this on the table, but it's not against any federal law or Constitutional principle.

Where in the Constitution does it say a state has a right to secede after it becomes a part of the Union?

oh and the recollection part was actually sarcasm ;-)

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:19:57 PM by Nessy »

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »
In the face of the changes to come, I have begun to worry less and less about what happens or is going to happen to the U.S. government.  It's a dinosaur.  All of the modern super-states are going to wither away, or re-organize at a drastically reduced level of complexity and energy input, during the 2020s as the Long Emergency begins to seriously bite down.

The U.S. debt will likely never be repaid.  If you're under 45 or so, I also would not count on Social Security in any form.  My advice is to study the lifeways of civilizations that did not enjoy a cheap-oil energy bonanza.  Prepare for a pay-as-you-go economy with your extended kin, your community and "tribe" as your "security" source...in other words, a return to what has been the norm for better than 99.9% of the human race's tenure here on Earth.

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »
It's still America's costliest war ever. Pretty sure it trumps every other war combined.

Losing Texas would be the end of the Republican party on a national scale, however.
Well yes, we have multimillion dollar humvees, fighters, armors. It's a little more expensive than a WW II G.I. and his B.A.R, and pool-ball frags. Plus you have to accommodate for inflation. Think of what Vietnam would cost at today's rates.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »
Where in the Constitution does it say a state has a right to secede after it becomes a part of the Union?

oh and the recollection part was actually sarcasm ;-)

edited for spelling

Actually, in the Tenth Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

There is nothing in the Constitution saying that the government can prevent a state from seceding.

Offline Nessy

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

This does not state that a State has a right to leave the union. It only says that there are certain powers that the states have that the federal government doesn't have.

In the matters of the law, the abscence of a right being mentioned doesn't mean that that right, in fact, is given.

This is a grey area. There is nothing in the contitution that gives states a right to break  the lasting relationship with the Union once they enter it. Texas vs. White didn't really establish it either. And the fact that wars were involved to keep states from leaving implies that its not a garaunteed right at all.

Offline Kroduk

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
If Texas seceded, we'd take Arkansas with us. Not as citizens, though. As slaves. That way the Texans are free to concentrate on war, and being the most powerful nation in the world.

See, it's perfect! Texan babies with even the tiniest flaw would be tossed into the Gulf of Mexico (or possibly just Mexico itself) to make for a stronger race, holistically. And while Arkansans do all our farming/building/making stuff, we Texans train day and night and become the ultimate soldiers! Hawoo!

Warning: offending diplomats will be kicked into oil wells.

Offline Nessy

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
If Texas seceded, we'd take Arkansas with us. Not as citizens, though. As slaves. That way the Texans are free to concentrate on war, and being the most powerful nation in the world.

See, it's perfect! Texan babies with even the tiniest flaw would be tossed into the Gulf of Mexico (or possibly just Mexico itself) to make for a stronger race, holistically. And while Arkansans do all our farming/building/making stuff, we Texans train day and night and become the ultimate soldiers! Hawoo!

Warning: offending diplomats will be kicked into oil wells.

Hey the critics gave it mixed reviews but I enjoyed that movie a lot even if it was a little... gross at times for me.

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2009, 06:25:40 AM »

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »
Actually, in the Tenth Amendment.

There is nothing in the Constitution saying that the government can prevent a state from seceding.
Well last time it happened there was a big ole honking Civil War. So secession is probably frowned upon. 

Offline Will

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »
I am the queen of subtle.

Online Doomsday

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm bumping this to share a funny with you all: