You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 16, 2018, 05:45:24 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Uplifting / Positive News Stories  (Read 8693 times)

Online Sara Nilsson

Re: Uplifting / Positive News Stories
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/f99a0972daf043a5b2e7be7deb3d5d0d/Australian-Parliament-allows-same-sex-marriages

Australian Parliament says yes to same-sex marriage.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s Parliament voted Thursday to allow same-sex marriage across the nation, following a bitter debate settled by a much-criticized government survey of voters that strongly endorsed change.

The public gallery in the House of Representatives erupted with applause when the bill passed. It changes the definition of marriage from solely between a man and a woman to “a union of two people” excluding all others. The legislation passed with a majority that wasn’t challenged, although four lawmakers registered their opposition.

“What a day. What a day for love, for equality, for respect. Australia has done it,” Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told Parliament.

The Senate passed the same legislation last week 43 votes to 12. The government later announced that same-sex couples will be able to apply to marry starting Saturday, with the first weddings potentially from Jan. 6.

wonderful!!! That really made me smile.

Offline Cassandra LeMay

Offline Arianna de L'ombre

• Child of The Goddess - Fiica Nopții
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Welcome to my Labyrinth. Enter if you dare...
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Sain

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.

Online Szandor

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »

Offline Deamonbane

• A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity ~ Demon Killer
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Oh, I don't get angry. I have people for that.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Happy New Years, folks :)

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:34 PM »
To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.

I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

Hopeful Images from 2017, courtesy of The Atlantic

This is wonderful, thank you for sharing. :)

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/29/obama-twitter-good-news-2017/
Hope everyone had a good New Years!

I like seeing prominent figures spreading the word about good news--thanks for this, Szandor.

Happy New Years, folks :)

Happy new year!  8-)

Offline Sain

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:47 AM »
This was another pretty amazing one considering how indoor farming is on the rise (at least in here where farming in the snow isn't that viable).

Pioneering new technology set to accelerate the global quest for crop improvement

Speed breeding means that it is now possible to grow as many as 6 generations of wheat every year -- a threefold increase on the techniques currently used by breeders and researchers. Credit: John Innes Centre

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-technology-global-quest-crop.html#jCp

Offline Sain

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »
I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

This piece talks a little bit about a significant real world challenge for some gene therapies. It's not strictly uplifting in nature, but I'd consider hearing about people considering every practical challenge as a positive sign of their dedication to the task.