You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 21, 2018, 08:20:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Uplifting / Positive News Stories  (Read 15189 times)

Offline Anteros

Re: Uplifting / Positive News Stories
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline Mr. Vyce

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
While it isn't a news story per se, I think the below speech from Fred "Mr." Rogers fits the spirit of this thread and is something we should try to always remember when a disaster or tragic event occurs:

Offline Oniya

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »
I shared that very same video at our last PTO meeting, when one of the parents was talking about the stress that the election was causing to her kids.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

Offline BlytheTopic starter

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:05 AM »

Offline Cassandra LeMay

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 02:28:42 AM »
Not so much a news story, but rather a short documentary clip I found on the BBC that I think is worth sharing. Otherwise useless nuts in East Africa are being used to produce biofuel, high-protein animal feed, and fertilizer - all at the same time. I am no expert in biofuels or agriculture, but the potential for local farmers and communities really impressed me.

http://www.bbc.com/specialfeatures/horizonsbusiness/seriessix/powering-africa/?vid=p04dv369
Also see Wikipedia.

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
Good finds, Cassandra LeMay and Mr Vyce!  :D

Nifty thing that I think counts as good news: Transgenic grass is good at pulling toxins like RDX out of soil...and could be used to clean up millions of acres of land!

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
2,000 US veterans plan to form a human shield/chain around the North Dakota Pipeline protestors, standing between them and the police.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/veterans-to-serve-as-%e2%80%98human-shields%e2%80%99-for-dakota-pipeline-protesters/ar-AAkTOnE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Offline Mintprincess

Offline RampantDesires

• Certified Sass-hat ❣ Tumblr Junkie ❣ Least Helpful Helper ❣ Queen of Procrastination ❣ Taster of the Apple
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • Will I ever be more than I've always been?
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
Henna crowns for chemo patients

I might have teared up  :'( but in the good way.

"For a little bit, people don't see that it's because I'm sick. They see art. And it doesn't look like just a bald head or any of that. It's pretty,”

Offline Aiden

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/12/08/comic-book-clerk-helps-queer-teen-after-supergirl-with-act-of-kindness/

Well the link title say it all. Clerk helps a young girl who is struggling with her sexuality. Rather heartwarming to read.

Online Mithlomwen

• E's resident kilt inspector ~ A Gunman's Goddess ~ Elven Princess ~ Atropos
  • Goddess
  • Carnite
  • ~ I'm so happy to be stuck with you.... ~
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0

Offline Anteros

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:44 PM »

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »
Just wanted to post to say that people sharing good and uplifting news here is still definitely making me smile. Thank you all! (And keep it up!  ;D  )

Offline Anteros

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »
http://www.littlethings.com/homecoming-dance-surprise/?utm_source=ggnvet&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=shocking

Boy with Downs Syndrome is rejected by all the girls for the dance, but one stranger steps in to take him. So he ends up going to the dance in a Rolls and everything :) I will admit to crying a tad, I mean due to the invisible ninjas cutting onions.. nothing else.. *cries more*

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Just wanted to say that reading the uplifting new posted here tends to really make my day--thanks for those posts, Anteros, Sara, and Mr. Vyce. ^^

94 year old woman graduates college with a 4.0 GPA!

I love stories like the one above. Sometimes I worry that I am not doing enough with my life and that it'll be too late...but stories like this remind me that just because I can't do something I want to do right now (like get my Master's degree), doesn't mean I won't be able to later!

Cynthia Suwito knits with ramen noodles

It might see a bit odd to put the above in the 'good news' section, but I love seeing neat and unorthodox approaches to art. For me, it's incredibly uplifting to see someone take something that I take for granted, like ramen noodles, and do something with it that I'd never expect.

Scientists reverse some aging in mice

The implications of this are mind-bogglingly interesting. I know anything that would be about humans is obviously a long ways off, but this was breathtaking to realize science has pushed this far.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:37:28 PM by Blythe »

Offline Oniya

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
Cynthia Suwito knits with ramen noodles

It might see a bit odd to put the above in the 'good news' section, but I love seeing neat and unorthodox approaches to art. For me, it's incredibly uplifting to see someone take something that I take for granted, like ramen noodles, and do something with it that I'd never expect.