Jacob MarinoPlayer ID:
Varies (see modifications)Eye Colour:
• Robotic left hand;
• Neural Nanites;
• Cortex/Computer Interface (CCI);
• Literal heart of a lion;
• Nicitating Membranes;
• Gills; and
• Mood hairDistinguishing marks:
Acid scars on his left wrist.Age:
Straight (w. Xenosexual tendencies
• Augmented Intellect: Jacob was of above average intelligence growing up, always capable of doing well in anything he cared to pursue, but not necessary excelling. This changed the day he inhaled the nanite swarm. He is now possessed of an eidetic memory, speed reading, and heightened pattern recognition.
• Archeologist: Professionally, when he bothers to seek gainful employment for an extended period of time, Jacob is an archaeologist. He has experience handling sensitive sites and finds with care some might not expect him to display otherwise.
• Polyglot: Languages are something Jacob always had a facility for. Thanks in part to his time travelling the world and in various dig sights, he has picked up a smattering of many languages, though usually he knows how to curse or make sexual advances. He holds actual profiles in German, Russian, and Irish Gaelic, the latter learned to pursue a rather fiery redhead. He also speaks a smattering of Centaurii, learned due to an obsession with the idea of being the first human to shag and alien.
• Charmer: Some might call him pathological, but Jacob does have the Devil's own talent for convincing people of things that are in his better interest. Things like his pristine academic background.Weaknesses:
• Despite having signed on for a space-going venture, Jacob gets space-sick, and requires medication to keep the symptoms from manifesting. He wears a small patch behind his left ear to provide a constant dose, but if things get extremely rough it is not enough.
• To the detriment of his own body Jacob is an early-adopter of technologies. He might not be the first to the dance, but he will be in line to be. Rumor has it that the acid burns on his wrist are from when he intentionally dunked his hand in acid in order to qualify for the trial run of a more complete cybernetic replacement than was commercially available at the time.
• Jacob often appears absent-minded, though he rarely misses a beat. He simply gets lost in alternative chains of thought and forgets to weigh in on the present. This can infuriate some people who expect an immediate response from him.Likes:
• Though he will never admit to it, Jacob enjoys being on the receiving end of discipline. His tendency to push boundaries is a manifestation of this.
• Jacob prefers getting his hands dirty to book learning, which has been to his detriment over the years.
• Despite space sickness, Jacob feels at one with the sea, and he is never happier than when lounging on a beach or plying its waves.
• Experiencing anything new, be it a new type of music, a new adrenaline rush, or a new research theory.Dislikes:
• While not a strict pacifist, he does not enjoy the idea of needless violence.
• Intellectual morass. If he does not have something to keep him busy, he will find something potentially detrimental to occupy himself.
• Humorless people. He will do all he can to push their buttons (see his secret enjoyment of discipline).Personality:
Jacob is a classic case of a latchkey kid with too many resources at his own disposal. He is used to being given the freedom to simply do as he wants, and to having easy access to anything he might need along the way. Despite this he is not classically arrogant. He is well aware of the fact that he wasted a good deal of his life frittering about in the service of whim and wanderlust. With a deep desire to actually help, he has cultivated a persona that is somewhat detached in order to maintain a personal calm. He is will aware that his credentials are not as shiny as he might have presented them, and he is genuinely surprised he was hired on for the expedition, let alone in such a predominant position.
Now faced with being a department lead when all he really expected was to be a research aid, he walks the line between wanting to laugh at the twist of fate he has been presented and pushing all boundaries he can and having to seem like a professional. He will come off as flighty simply because he is trying to hold in his more boundless nature and keep his cool. When he feels the mission is too far gone to boot him out he may well fall more thoroughly back into his passionate and more whimsical self.History:
The firstborn son of an old-money investment family, Jacob's parents expected him to become his father's protege and to continue the family line. They had plans for him. An Ivy League education, a law degree, internship in his father's investment bank, and then ultimately an executive position. They even had a list of potential partners picked out for him. As if destined to disappoint them he dropped out of the first two schools his father made generous donations to, dragged the first suitable partner he was introduced to on a whirlwind tour of Europe, and then buggered off for a quick tour with a civilian extra-solar mining outfit. That was just disastrous enough that he returned to Earth and started back into a campus couch surfing tour.
In his second attempt at going back to school he took up with a roommate with a penchant for designing experimental modifications. He already had two mods at that point - the nicitating membranes and gills, which allowed him to surf more gnarly waves, in his own words - but soon became infatuated with the idea of more radical mods, and began to expand his own mod collection. In a perhaps altered state of inebriation, he 'borrowed' a tube of nanites his roommate had been preparing for an animal trial, and he 'snorted' the contents. After waking from a small coma he woke up with more clarity than he had experienced in years. His enthusiasm for the wandering life had not been tempered by the new passengers in his head, but he was changed just enough that he was able to finish a xenoarcheology degree by correspondence. It was not an Ivy League education, but it was something.
Jacob's return home with his new degree was not as triumphant as expected. His parents were furious at his pissing away their money. His father threatened to disown him, though his mother was able to hold him at bay... at least until the skies became lousy with aliens. Though there was a part of him that wanted to help defend the planet from the alien invasions, his father sequestered the family to a remote compound in the hills surrounded by private contractors.
Jacob became fed up with hiding after a little over a year, and began to seek ways to help the war effort. He eventually stumbled upon the recruiters for this expedition. He volunteered for this assignment in part to further escape the specter of his parents' influence upon his life, figuring if there is one place they cannot meddle, it is in the depths of space. As for his credentials, well, those are more than a bit exaggerated. The two Ivy League schools he attended - for less than a semester between them - are the core of his academic claims. He has also enhanced the titles of the jobs he held in the various digs he worked for, with a flair for creatively naming mundane jobs (for example he claims to have extensive artifact handling experience, from dusting off soil from a handful of pottery fragments). This is not to say he is useless. He has a surprising breadth of experience, and a good deal of book learning, both augmented by the nanites he snorted on a dare. Passion also makes up for plenty, at least in his mind. Face Claim: