Pathfinder recommendations?

Started by Lithos, October 20, 2014, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithos

Due to some posts on this forum I got really interested in Pathfinder. The problem is that there seems to be insane amount of books available. I would be curious to know what people would consider to be the essential books for running / playing RP:s in the setting, in hopes of narrowing down my shopping list some.

If anyone has reasonable recommendations, please post them in this thread.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Revelation

While I don't own any PF books, the PF SRD has a ton of publicly free rules on pathfinder, including character creation rules and most information from the various player handbooks, DM guide, and monster manual at the least.

eBadger

*Nods* Pathfinder is based on an open game license of D&D 3.5 - undoubtedly the stupidest move that line ever made, but handy for us.  It means that 3rd party publishers can expand on those rules, but limits a lot of their ability to limit open publication in turn.  So basically everything is online somewhere, with PF SRD being the primary somewhere. 

I would start by looking that over; if you don't have any D&D experience to base off of the rules may not be too clear (it assumes a basic familiarity) and in that case, or if you just want a paper reference book, I suggest the Pathfinder Core Rulebook. 

Shop around; there are some significant price differences.  I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on youtube as well, and there's a free app with lots of information as well.  Past that, it really depends what you want to know more about; if you really enjoy a specific class or race you can do that, or get sources for new ones, or GM references, or settings or adventures. 

I play a fair amount of pathfinder, both online and tabletop, and I don't own any of the books (although I frequently borrow the Core book when playing in person). 

Lithos

I do have about two bookshelves full of 3.5ed AD&D stuff, if pathfinder is very similar perhaps I can cross use some material? Either way I think I will get the advanced players guide, core rule book and first bestiary, based on suggestions here and on IRC.  Thank you for everyone who replied and helped me to spend my money better^^.
--

Mr L

Quote from: Lithos on October 21, 2014, 07:10:31 AM
I do have about two bookshelves full of 3.5ed AD&D stuff, if pathfinder is very similar perhaps I can cross use some material? Either way I think I will get the advanced players guide, core rule book and first bestiary, based on suggestions here and on IRC.  Thank you for everyone who replied and helped me to spend my money better^^.

As someone who has PDFs of both 3.5 and Path books, there are a lot of similarities between the two, with Path tending to be the simpler of the two versions. They agree on a ton of the actual content of the game such as weapon stats and combat rules, etc.

There are some significant differences between the two, such as skill lists being simplified in Path (squishing some 3.5 skills into one) and a vast difference in exp gains for level ups. 3.5 needs very close to 200k exp for lvl 20, whereas Path requires well over 1 million exp.

BAMF and I are in a campaign that combines bits and pieces from both systems, with a pair of friends, with a slightly extended skill list (Open lock, Search, Use Rope, and Gather Info) since some of these skills are lumped in Path skills that are more general that can hinder character development. For example: a city dwelling rogue will know how to open locks like a baws, but disabling devices in a dungeon? How does that automatically make sense?

Back OT now, easily the bare bones basics for Path would be the core book. I was kindly informed by BAMF that there is no DMG separate to the core book.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

Callie Del Noire

I would, as a pathfinder (and end) player/gm, that you look what you need beyond the initial core book. Pick and choose. There are a TON of products for the campaign setting, which I have some experience in as a venture officer running organized play, and the firs thing I suggest for the setting (if you want to get into it) is the Inner Sea World Guide.

Then read it. Find the part of the setting you like, then pick and choose content tied into it. Do not try to buy everything all at once. If you want to get a lot of books, definitely investigate the PDF versions, which are cheaper, or shop around.

And here is the dirty 'secret'.. the PRD is everything 'core' that Paizo offers and the SRD, with a slight change to names, is pretty much EVERYTHING. So if you got net access you don't need much at all.

That being said. I always suggest you check out the content online, LOTS of sources there, and pick and choose what you need/want/desire.

Thorne

And pick up the PDFs - Paizo makes a point of making them available, and making them /affordable/. If you need something that isn't available under the OGL (specific setting stuff), it's a good way to get the material and still pretend you have a budget.

I mean, hell. The entire rulebook - all umpty-hundred pages of blunt-trauma-in-a-backpack - is available as a PDF for about $10.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Lithos

The prices seem to vary wildly, too. At local store for RP stuff that i tend to support usually cause I have some friends there, the prices for books range from 40 to 60 euro so around 50 - 75 USD. On say, amazon you can get what costs 75$ here for 30,44$... that is cheaper even with shipping the book(s) here at Finland.
--

Thorne

I decided to go make sure.
Market price for the main rulebook is $50 (that's what Paizo sells it for, and I can't imagine Amazon marks it down all that much), with the PDF listed at $10.

Obviously, it's better to support your FLGS, but when you /can/ get the stuff directly from the company.... ^.~
No, I don't work for them. Although with all the free advertising they get; them and Lone Wolf, I swear, they should be paying us all commission fees... >.>
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Lithos

I ended up getting the book from the local shop. It was such nice, substantial hardcover that the PDF would not have really compared :)
--

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lithos on October 23, 2014, 08:14:25 AM
I ended up getting the book from the local shop. It was such nice, substantial hardcover that the PDF would not have really compared :)

While a good book it can take a bit of wear and tear if you're not careful. I got 4 (I'm lucky at drawings) and I had one literally pop open when one players did to a table flip. (a four year old who wasn't happy mom was taking him out because he was grabby with all the comics.