You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 03:48:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Orphaned Characters, looking for a group/GM  (Read 680 times)

Offline ThorneTopic starter

Orphaned Characters, looking for a group/GM
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
   Thorne's Home For Orphaned Characters.
   Won't you adopt an Orphaned Character today?

My character folder is bulging with characters I've invented for a game, gotten attached to and then ... Paff. No more game. Either enough players vanished that the game ended, or the GM vanished and the game ended.
So, here's my quandary. I have no games for these characters. I want to play these characters!

With that out of the way, here's what you - be you GM or player who's trying to help - need to know:
I'm a fairly reliable player, able to post daily if needed, although I prefer every other day, or so. RL does occasionally come up, and I don't always manage to say something, but I can usually be reached for a thorough sporking if it's necessary.
I don't do drama out of character, and while I am happy to discuss builds (especially for systems I'm not as familiar with), I generally set my characters up as people, and that means sometimes, I will choose builds that are not optimal.
I enjoy plotting, working out places where two characters might have some history, especially if it gives them a reason to be involved.
I'm not in this for smut. I don't mind if it comes up, and writing it can be amusing as hell, but it's not what I'm in this for.  ... some of my characters may have other ideas. Gods help me.

I tend to play people. They may have some odd shapes, they probably won't be human, but they will be people, with shapes and issues and their own unique set of characteristics. I don't generally run hard-core loners - largely because I generally aim for intelligent characters, and even the most anti-people character I play is going to be smart enough to know that some things can't be done by oneself.

I prefer system games, (usually Pathfinder) but if your pitch is good enough, I'll consider freeform - especially if you can promise me no god-modding, Mary Sues or OoC drama. None of those are my idea of fun.
So. On to the menager- ahm. Orphans.

Sahine Merryx (Wulfhart)
Aasimar Paladin.
Sahine's dusky skin and vivid red hair with its shimmering bronze-and-copper highlights are enough to get people staring by themselves. Combined with the lighter gold markings and her almost glowing green eyes, no one is surprised that she is both Aasimar and godsworn. The markings give her features a lupine cast, an impression backed up by the shape and set of her ears.
Sahine is in turns warrior, diplomat and smoother of cultural wrinkles. As someone who's never quite fit in to anyone's idea of what Aasimar should be, or what paladins should be, she's very good at finding the places where compromise can be made.

Part of the reason I've never actually gotten to play Sahine is difficulty finding a GM who will let me have a direwolf as her bonded mount. Swiping some orc/hobgoblin's warwolf, or borrowing one are a couple of ways of picking one up, but either way, it's been a deal-breaker. So, I've never been able to play her.

Satriis Jaegersson

Tiefling Fighter

Satriis towers head and shoulders over most people, standing close to nine feet tall. His frame is broad and powerful, something his armor does nothing to disguise. All of that would be fine, if not for the feral yellow glow of his eyes, the talons on his hands, the tail, the horns .. and the broad hooves. Satriis goes shod, and few things he kicks ever get back up again.
He's not unattractive. His features are even, his dark red skin clear, his hair black and thick. Splotches of black cover his body in an uneven pattern that seems to be a little different every time someone looks. Handsome, yes. But the villein girls avoid him, except for the boldest, or most desperate, and those tend to come back a little .. spraddled. They do tend to come back, though.
An orphan lucky enough to have a place to go, Satriis largely grew up in a forge. Having a talent for the work helped. As an adult, the work gives him something to do with his hands, something to work out his temper on and generally keeps him calm. It also gives him a valuable skill, a means of making a living that gives those around him a reason to tolerate his less-pleasant mannerisms, if not always his company.
Tris is usually a hard sell, even if he wasn't a raging ball of temper and hormones. A disciplined ball of raging temper and hormones, but ... yah. I did manage to get him into a game - and the GM up and vanished before the game really got started. *sigh* So, here's for seeing if someone needs a ball of temper, hormones .. and possibly some sarcasm. The one thing he is not is a lone-wolf. Tris is a social animal, and he works very hard to control the mannerisms that most people find uncomfortable. He doesn't always succeed, but such is the stuff stories are made from.
Fun Fact: Satriis is a WoW transplant. The original is a Draenei Paladin. Go ahead and wrap your brain around THAT one. ^^;

Ylva Oakheart
Human Cleric (Erastil)
Tall enough to be elegant, Ylva's even-featured good looks draw many an eye - but her ability to leave chaos in her wake draws many more. She wears her strawberry blonde hair pulled into a loose braid, and rarely fails to have a smile for somebody.
Traveling doesn't come naturally to Ylva. If she had a choice, she'd still be mixing herbs and brewing alchemical tinctures in her home village. That, at least, she can usually do without something going horribly wrong.
Ylva is the clumsiest character I have /ever written/. This is the girl who could trip over air - and does. She's a good shot, and a decent enough healer, but no one wants her in melee range. I've gotten her into one or two games, but they've always fallen apart for some reason. :/

Dakiiri Eri'kaan
Elf ... Fighter? Ranger?
   Dark hair falls in oily strands across the face of the slender elf leaning bonelessly against the bar, watching the rest of the room through bleary, blood shot eyes. Beside her rests a great yew bow. Unbent, it is a foot again taller than its owner, and her empty hand rests near it as she lifts a heavy mug to her lips to drain it.
She sets the mug down with a thump and makes as if to get up and leave.
   "Hey! Pay your tab, elf-girl!" The bartender barked. She twitched, and swung around. For a moment, they stared at each other, then she sighed.
   "Yeh ... han' on a shec." she slurred as she scraped the last few coppers out of her belt pouch and tossed them on the bar. Despite her advanced state of inebriation, they landed squarely where she intended them to ... right in the ale pitcher. The innkeeper muttered something no doubt obscene, as she picked up her unstrung longbow and made her way to the door.

Daki's another one of those that I built, played for a little while, and then the game fell apart. I'm very sorry there isn't a variant on the 'drunken boxer' archetype for archers, because that sort of thing is what Dakiiri was built to do.
The reason I have her set as fighter or ranger is because she is well-suited for either class, with the only real difference being whether she needs to be an active tracker or not. That I intended her to not be a magic-user, and there really isn't a functional ranger archetype for what I wanted to do means she is probably going to be primarily a fighter. Mostly, she's a Forlorn-type elf who has a deep-seated hatred for slavers.

Cyrellia
Tiefling Oracle (or.. something).
Under the azure-dyed dreadlocks and the deliberately intimidating makeup is a very serious young woman - her demeanor and tone reflect that much. Her features are strong and even, her natural skin tone pale, even without makeup.
Working, she wears full formal robes, in dark blues and greens, trimmed with fancy embroidery in white and grey thread, the picture of foreign mystery. Full, long chalwar, gathered at the ankle, just barely not showing slippered feet. Long, full tunics, belted at the waist, under a full vest. Her long hair pulled up and twisted with silver chain and black cord, trailing azure cords down her back and over her shoulders, with matching silver jewelry.
On off hours, or when not playing the all-knowing oracle to the hilt, Cyrellia prefers simpler clothing in earth tones, and on the road, she adds a layer of armor to the ensemble.

Cyrellia is the exception to my 'no hermaphrodites' rule. She's kind of an odd duck, in her way, and she's probably best suited to a Pathfinder game, as a fault-spawn (Asura-blooded) tiefling. She makes a living trading information - Varys is actually not a bad comparison for the type of character I'm aiming for, although she's probably not as well connected (and all her parts are there, /and/ they work).

Etana Greyflight
Half-elf Ranger
Tall, slender and covered in leather armor, Etana carries a powerful longbow and a curved blade on her hip, a shield over her back. She's attractive enough, pleasant of voice, and face, and smells mostly like leather and beeswax - and saddlesoap - but she doesn't talk much.
She carries a falconer's gauntlet on her belt - a long one, scarred with criss-crossing marks as of a very large raptor - and, indeed, there is a huge grey feather with black malar striping tucked into her auburn hair.

Ah, my unsuspecting Falconer ranger. I built her for a game, the GM vanished and.. lo. Another orphaned character. This one, I didn't really manage to get my head around much, other than she's got noble blood on her mother's side, she's probably a bastard, and she hasn't had a lot of contact with 'people'. Whatever 'people' is this week.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:43:09 AM by Thorne »

Re: Orphaned Characters, looking for a group/GM
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:59:28 PM »
   So, in case anyone's thinking, 'oh, I want to run this thing, but no one ever wants to play THAT' I am going to list a few of the games I'm looking for and types of games I like to play, in the hopes that maybe I hit one someone's been waffling over.

I prefer system games: Pathfinder, D&D (2e, 3/3.5e). I used to play WW (Vampire, Werewolf) - I prefer the oWoD setting to the new, though. I have played Cortex (briefly). I didn't get into it much, but the system looked functional. I'll try almost anything, and I have the books for most things, including systems that I've never actually had a chance to look at closely (FATE).
I have also played Shadowrun and a little bit of card-based Deadlands. I've played Star Wars (the D20 version), and BESM. Hell, I've run a game using BESM. Don't ask.

I like a game that has a little bit of everything - a little dungeon-crawling, some social combat/diplomacy stuff, psuedo-noir detective-ing (.. okay, I've been reading too much Dave Gross lately. Stop judging me. Radovan is awesome), with sprinkles of humor and people being people.
I wouldn't mind running in a high-level campaign that did not attempt to challenge high-level characters by pitting them against deities, either, or an evil campaign (or a campaign that allows evil characters) that does not degenerate into PVP within two pages of posting. Or, really, within any pages of posting.

APs that I would /love/ to play (since we're talking Pathfinder):
Legacy of Fire! Actually, set something in an Arabian Nights inspired setting, I can get you at LEAST two players. I will be one of them.
And, because I'm sure someone will ask - APs that are off my list include Rise of the Runelords (I've run it), Shattered Star (planning to run it), Reign of Winter, Kingmaker and Second Darkness (played them, have no wish to repeat the experience). 

Settings I find interesting, and will be tempted by include:
Dragonlance (pre Age of Mortals).
Eberron (Flying ships! Monsters that might or might not /actually/ be evil! Awesome! Gaslamp magic .. I can't even. Yes, please).
Forgotten Realms (With 90% less conflicted C/G drow and Mary-Sue demi-god NPCs).
Battletech (Take the focus /off/ the 'Mechs, put it on the people, and I'm interested. Get the Clans involved, directly, and I'm sold (team up with the Wolves to skin Jaguars, you say? Please, yes, gimme).
Warcraft (Lose about 80% of the faction bullshit, and you have my attention). 
Golarion (Well .. yes.)
Al Qadim (I believe I mentioned that someone running something interesting in this type of setting would score two players? Yah. Brace yourself for incoming Sha'ir, or so).

Settings without systems? Yah, a few. I may date myself here..
Pirates of Dark Water: Swords, sorcery and shenanigans on the seas of Mer. Holy /shit/ did I love that setting. It was beautiful and different.
Hyboria: Uh.. well. Yes. Actually, I enjoy Howard's Conan the Barbarian. The setting is fun, too, whatever variant you're playing with; the original books, the Savage Sword comics, the movies ... the ORIGINAL movie! or even the admittedly watered-down cartoon (yes, I /still/ like it).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:41:25 AM by Thorne »

Online Muse

• Bibliopheliac -- Luna's Arcangel -- PiP's Sidhe Lord -- Karasu's Heartthrob -- Tyloka's Dragon -- Mistress Voluptuouss's Hand Bra -- Making Allanger Welcome at her Destination
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
Oh, Thorne!   you play second edition D&D!?! 

I love you forever!  Will you game with me?  :) 

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
Let's add a few more orphans to the pile. I did used to play White Wolf, although it's been a good long while. These three are, respectively, a Hunter, a Vampire and a Werewolf. I generally prefer the Bastet to the Garou, but when you get down to it, I'll play either, if I could find a game for any of them.

Melinda 'Lindi' Karthak
Concept: Hunter's Prodigal Daughter

Lindi isn't a big girl. She's short, brawny and capable of filling a room, if she cares to. Most of the time, she doesn't care to.
She prefers jeans and a tank top under a loose jacket, with a pair of heavy boots no doubt purchased from a military surplus shop. She wears her reddish hair cropped short and tied into a neat ponytail at the back.

Lindi's not a hunter out of choice. Her father's disappearance coupled with his journal showing up in the mail, prompted her to start. What little she's turned up has made her question her initial belief that there's nothing 'weird' in the world. That didn't take much, for a woman home from tour, who's seen a large amount of 'weird' already.

(oWoD)
Felicia
Concept: Second-story expert under cover.

Felicia is a slender, young-looking woman with vivid green eyes and a lean, wiry build. She tends to jeans and snug tops, with a light pack. She has a charming smile, but there is something a little too perfect about both her body and her features.

There's more than meets the eye, with Felicia - not only is she a vampire, and only a slightly merciless killer - she's an expert thief, and she's hiding from the one who made her, and his ilk.

Aneva Stillwater
Concept: Mystic Ward (Utkena Ahroun)

Aneva Stillwater is a tall, muscular woman, dusky of skin and black of hair and eyes. She generally moves around in jeans and a plain t-shirt, under a dark brown leather jacket. She wears a big, broad-bladed knife sheathed under her jacket, and generally has a sense about her that poking her would have roughly the same good results as poking a mama bear with a stick while holding her squawling cub.

Offline Blinkin

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 04:55:13 AM »
Don't you hate it when you put a lot of effort into creating a person to play, get into a game and suddenly, the game is gone? Here's this character that you're really attached to and want to play... so you offer it in another game... and the GM says that it's off-putting because you've already offered the character someplace else.... it's lazy, the GM says.

Anyway, like you, I have a number of characters laying about that I would love to play, but can't.

Good luck and I hope one of them gets adopted. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 02:44:42 AM »
Lazy my butt. It's /efficient/.

Added some systems I've played, and some more settings I'm interested in, for completeness and stuff.