All player characters will be the young adult survivors of the crew of the Free Trader
, who's relatives and friends have all been massacred by the Maziani pirates. No player character can be under 16, and if you wish to create one under 18 you will need to PM me to tell me why.
Also, no player character is to be over the age of 24.
As GM, I reserve the right to decline any character for any reason, or even for no reason. I reserve the right not to explain why the character is not acceptable. However I will usually give a reason, and try to give hints as to how the character may be made acceptable. Possible reasons for the character being declined are:
- Mary-Sue/Marty-Stu characters, characters who are too perfect and will always end up saving the day.
- Over-powerful or over-stereotyped characters, the guy with the strength of ten men and the stamina of an ox, even though he may have character flaws coming out his ears. Equally the girl with the 42G-28-36 figure, long blonde hair and the IQ of a plank
- Characters who simply do not fit the setting for whatever reason
- Non-human characters
- Characters who are excessively evil or excessively good - nothing is that black and white
- Canon characters, from this or any other fandom
- Characters submitted on character sheets that have been modified, not filled in correctly, or incomplete. There is no reason for anyone to modify the character sheet or change any of the formatting. The sheet is the way it is for a reason. All information is required unless specified otherwise.
- Characters using poor quality or anime artwork as a pic-base. Photos of people in decent sci-fi settings are few and far between, so I will accept artwork, but I am going to be picky about it Art work must look three-dimensional with proper perspective. No flat, cartoon-like characters and no unrealistic proportions please.
- Characters where the pic-base is inappropriate to the setting - Yes, I'm picky... A photo of a woman on a beach in a bikini might look nice but there are no beaches in deep space! Just for example. Note that pictures of individuals against a blank background (a wall for example) are acceptable regardless of their clothing
Please be aware of the following when creating your character:
- All player characters were born in the Beyond. They have never been to earth. In fact none of them have ever set foot on a planet! They were all born either on the ship or on a space station.
- Merchant ships are family crewed. That means that most of the characters will be related in some way, however distantly. This is not a hard and fast rule, and there can be characters who are the kids of crew who only joined the ship recently.
- All characters are "unseated crew". They are not qualified to run the ship, they have little to no experience of actually running the ship and at the time the story starts would have been learning one or more specialisations.
- The characters have just been subject to probably the most traumatic event of their lives. How you chose to have your character deal with this is up to you, but be prepared to justify it!
- The universe is a dangerous place!
To use the character sheet, click the "select" link, and press <Ctrl> + c to copy the code. creae a new PM and address it to me, with the subject "Free Trader Character", then use <Ctrl> + v to paste the code into it. Fill in the form, replacing the "sample text" with your answers, and send it to me.
[floatright][img height=300 padding=5]Paste image URL here[/img][/floatright]NOTES:Surname:
[b]Player ID:[/b] Your login ID
[b]First Name:[/b] The name the character is known by
[b]Surname:[/b] If different from the ship's family name which is Fiori
[b]Gender:[/b] Preferably Male or female, but I will accept other genders if you can give me a valid reason!
[b]Age:[/b] Between 18 and 24 Subjective years. I will accept characters between 16 and 18 if you can give me a valid reason.
[b]Height:[/b] In CM. Inches never made it of planet Earth.
[b]Mass:[/b] In KG. Lbs never made it into space either.
[b]Hair Colour:[/b] If not obvious from the pic, or put "As picture"
[b]Eye Colour:[/b] If not obvious from the pic, or put "As picture"
[b]Skin Colour:[/b] If not obvious from the pic, or put "As picture"
[b]Build:[/b] If not obvious from the pic, or put "As picture"
[b]Distinguishing marks:[/b] Scars, tattoos, piercings, especially those not visible in the picture.
[b]Sexual preference / Orientation:[/b] This is the character's preference, not necessarily yours.
[b]Assigned Department:[/b] This is the ship's department within which the character is studying. See list below.
[b]Stated specialisation preferences:[/b] Again, this is the character's stated intent, and is not necessarily where they will end up. See list below.
[b]Likes:[/b] Please list at least five things they enjoy
[b]Dislikes:[/b] Please list at least five things they don't enjoy
[b]Personality prior to the attack:[/b] What was the character like before. How did they relate to people. What pushed their buttons. Please type at least 150 words, and preferably around 200.
[b]How has the attack affected them:[/b] What effect has the trauma of having their ship attacked and almost everyone they know killed had on their personality. Please type at least 75 words and preferably around 100. NOTE: "None", no matter how it is padded, is not acceptable!
[b]Player O/Os:[/b] Please insert a link to your ons/offs page and/or your prefs matrix.
[b]Any Other Info:[/b] Anything else you think might be relevant
As stated, most people aboard a merchant ship are in some way related, if only by marriage, The ship will have a family surname that most of the crew will have. Not all, however. The family surname is Fiori
If you can give me a plausible enough reason for why your girl has a cock or your guy has tits, I will allow it.Physical characteristics:
if something isn't obvious from the picture, please specify - for example if the character is wearing a hat that hides the hair, or glasses, or the image is monochrome, or is a head/torso shot.Sexuality:
You are quite welcome to have your character's sexual orientation the same as your own, however this is not a requirement. However, please note that it is YOUR preference not your characters that will influence the relationships he or she has. So if you are gay, but your character is straight, you should expect him/her to be seduced and/or raped, but ONLY by members of the same sex.Department & Specialisation:
There is a list of departments and specialisations below. Each character has been assigned to a department, for ease of organisation within the crew, so they know who their "boss" is. However, they may be studying for as many as three different specialisations, only one of which must
fall within their assigned department. Characters can have one, two or three specialisations, and they may all be from the same department or all from different departments, or two from one and one from another.Likes & Dislikes:
these are character preferences, NOT player prefs. If you put pizza as a dislike, that doesn't mean (s)he cannot be forced to eat pizza in game, with player permission!Personality & Trauma:
Characters will all have been affected in some way by the attack on the ship. This can be whatever you like. They could become aggressive, withdrawn, prone to panic attacks, the only real requirement is that they do not go totally insane because that would really leave the character unplayable.Ons/Offs:
I know some players prefer to discuss RP content on a case by case basis, however in a group game having published ons and offs helps people to know whether to interact with your character and in what ways. Especially in a N/C game, player ons and offs are essential, in my opinion.List Of Departments And Specialisations:Operations:
Medical Life support CookeryEngineering: Jump Drive Technology Main Engine Maintenance Fabrication Damage Control