You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:48:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Interest Check - Me and My Monster/Me and My Human  (Read 1605 times)

Offline IdlewyldTopic starter

Interest Check - Me and My Monster/Me and My Human
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »
I'm just in the initial phases of working out the idea, but here it is...

Earth has been overrun by monsters, but in an impressive display of biological ju-jitsu, human scientists have released a DNA-mutagen that has resulted in many of those monsters (the smaller ones classed as humanoid) now requiring human caring, affection, and love to access the very powers that make them so menacing. As a result, the monsters and humans now work in pairs to help defend the Earth from the larger, scarier monsters (generally known as big bads.) The players will be students at The Institute - a center of higher learning where monsters and humans learn to work with each other as a team, with scenes generally alternating between lighter-hearted episodes of life at The Institute and battles against the ever encroaching horrors that threaten civilization.

At least initially, I'm thinking of having about 10 players (five monster/human teams) and I wouldn't say no to a co-GM to help me work out the bugs in the system I'm developing.

Offline AndyZ

Re: Interest Check - Me and My Monster/Me and My Human
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
I am curious about this one.  Does the monster simply not care about humans and require the love and affection, or might it enjoy such?  The latter might be fun.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:15 PM »
I am curious about this one.  Does the monster simply not care about humans and require the love and affection, or might it enjoy such?  The latter might be fun.

The way I see it, the monster might not HAVE to care about the human, but in most cases the very dynamics of the relationship would eventually result in the monster developing feelings, and that those very feelings would in fact help the monster accessing his or her powers.

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »
Might I recommend looking into a system called Monsters and Other Childish Things?  It's set up for a premise that's already extremely close to what you're trying to do.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that this post might have come across as sounding significantly less polite and well-meaning than I'd intended it to. ><; The basic idea you've got does sound like it would work well as a Monsters and Other Childish Things campaign, though.  I was just thinking that it might be worth your time to look into it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:38:05 PM by Kunoichi »

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice - looking into it among other options. In the meanwhile, here's a basic background I've worked up for the game.

History

In 2008, in the aftermath of wars, natural disasters, and the economic crash, fate had one more cruel surprise in store for humanity. On December 5, a team of crack archaeologists uncovered an arch in a tomb near Alexandretta, Turkey dating from the 12th century. Fortunately, one of the team could read the inscription on the top of the arch written in Aramaic. Unfortunately, he read it out loud. This was unfortunate in that word for word, the inscription read, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T READ THIS INSCRIPTION OUT LOUD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. WE MEAN IT." Suddenly, the arch was revealed to be a gate, and all the monsters and horrors that had been imagined since the beginning of human storytelling poured out, precipitating the greatest crisis civilization has ever faced.

For years, it seemed as if humanity's extinction was a foregone conclusion. The monsters were bigger, stronger, had powers far beyond human understanding, and were growing ever more numerous. And it seemed that they fed off the flesh or spirit of the humans themselves. However, it turned out that a few things were actually working in the humans' favor. First, the monsters themselves were hardly an organized front. Many of the different kinds of monsters were at odds with each other as often as they were with the humans. For that matter, just because two monsters were of the same kind didn't necessarily meant they got along peacefully. And humanity often produces its best work when it is backed into a corner.

And such was the case in 2012, when plucky scientists Travis Snugel and Tabitha Bonnie developed an airborne mutagen which, while far from solving the problem, radically changed its parameters. The monsters soon found that they could only absorb spirit willingly given - rendering them dependent on caring, affection, and even dare we say, love. Furthermore, the extent of the powers that the monster could access became directly related to the strength of the bond between the monster and the human with which he or she was affiliated. As the relationship grew stronger, so did the monster's powers. The predator-prey relationship had been transformed into a symbiotic one. Scientists quickly termed this the Snugel-Bonnie effect.

Still, the danger remains. The larger more powerful monsters, greater demons, eldritch horrors, nasty tentacled thingies and tunacanes (like a sharknado except while the latter merely leaves you as a messy corpse, the tunacane subsides with the victim smelling like three day old fish - and on the day of Homecoming! Horrors!) developed some sort of resistance to the effect, more or less collecting its prey as harems. However, now the world is defended by monster-human pairs and perhaps, for the first time in years, there is hope. To that end, Doctors Snugel and Bonnie have formed The Monster-Human Institute, a college dedicated to the matching and training of monsters and high-affinity humans.

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
Ooh, that looks like an interesting backstory for the game. ^^ Like I said over PMs, you can definitely count me as interested.  I hope you get a few more people wanting to join in.

Offline Interdiction of words

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:46:03 PM »
I think I will join as well for the possibility to be a monster would be the best

Offline mai

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
Do you expect the game to take on a similar humorous tone to your background writing, or are things going to be more serious?

Offline Prince Truhan

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
I'm interested

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
Do you expect the game to take on a similar humorous tone to your background writing, or are things going to be more serious?

This is definitely intended to be a comedy game. Think ecchi anime

Offline mai

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
Ah, ok, thanks for the response. I don't think I'm interested in the game, in that case.

Offline SmilingFox

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Well, color me interested. I'd be happy to join in, as either a human or a monster. I'm relatively open minded, so if there's any particular monster anyone would like me to be, I'll be happy to adapt.

Offline SammyGirl

• Dreambound
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • I must confess that I feel like a monster!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
This sounds kind of fun...I love monster/human relationships. But just how humanoid are the humanoid monsters? And is it allowed to have a monster that is an androgenous hermaphrodite and interested in males?

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
This sounds kind of fun...I love monster/human relationships. But just how humanoid are the humanoid monsters? And is it allowed to have a monster that is an androgenous hermaphrodite and interested in males?

That's entirely up to the players. What I had in mind were monsters like vampires, werewolves, other animal breeds (nekomimi, kitsune, mermaids, et al), succubi, and the like

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
How about indestructible killer robots from the future? :P

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
How about indestructible killer robots from the future? :P

Study with meee if you waant to liive

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
Now we just need to stick it in a maid uniform.

Especially if it looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger. :P

Offline SmilingFox

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »
"Initiating Homework Subroutines."

"That's great, could you just...."

"Initiating Dinner Subroutines."

"This is delicious but..."

"Initiating Relaxation Subroutines."

"W-where did those tentacles come from?"

Offline SammyGirl

• Dreambound
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • I must confess that I feel like a monster!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
That's entirely up to the players. What I had in mind were monsters like vampires, werewolves, other animal breeds (nekomimi, kitsune, mermaids, et al), succubi, and the like
Hmm.... I'm not big on vampires and werewolves....at least not werewolves that are CALLED werewolves. I guess I just don't like stuff that EVERYONE is crazy about. I like being differenht. Problem with that is nobody wants to play with you XD

Oh well.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
Hmm.... I'm not big on vampires and werewolves....at least not werewolves that are CALLED werewolves. I guess I just don't like stuff that EVERYONE is crazy about. I like being differenht. Problem with that is nobody wants to play with you XD

Oh well.

Once again, the only limit is your imagination, so if you have an idea, either put it here or PM it to me and we'll figure out a way to make it work

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
I was imagining a mob of succubi all joined together with a sort of hive mind, myself, though whether or not I'd be able to do that would strongly depend on the sort of rules we end up using. :P

Offline EdwardShane

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
I might be interested if you have room for a humanish manticore....

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
The manticore is certainly doable. The succubus hive might take a little bit of tweaking to keep game balance. Also, considering the monster-human ratio seen so far, I'm thinking that players would probably have to make one of each, much as Kunoichi suggested earlier.

Offline cabalxxvi

• Antediluvian \ Vampire King \ Lover of Fetishes \ DND 10+Year Vet \ White Wolf 10+ Year Vet \ 10+ Years Roleplaying Vet
  • Lord
  • Bacchae
  • Well now, what do we have here...Ah, Lunch
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
So, I'm thinking that I am interested in the game for sure.

Offline EdwardShane

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
I could play a human as well, if need be