You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:40:46 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What does a snake feel like?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Cassandra LeMayTopic starter

What does a snake feel like?
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
Has anyone here ever touched a snake and can offer me some description of what the scales of a living snake feel like to the human tactile sense?

I might need a few descriptive words for a story at one point, but just looking for a few words didn't seem "big" enough for the literature board.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: What does a snake feel like?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
A snake's skin is cool and dry (not slimy at all, even with water-dwelling snakes), very supple, but muscular at the same time.  The scales are present, but not overly so.  (This may be a little different with larger specimens - the ones I've held were no bigger than two fingers in thickness.) The closest non-living thing I've touched that gives the same feel is woven bead-work using tubular beads instead of the doughnut-shaped ones.

Offline Friday

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:01 AM »
Larger snakes feel kind of like a basketball, if basketballs were warm and had flexing muscles.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
Larger snakes feel kind of like a basketball, if basketballs were warm and had flexing muscles.
Now that is an analogy I can understand, even if I haven't played basketball since my schooldays.

A snake's skin is cool and dry (not slimy at all, even with water-dwelling snakes), very supple, but muscular at the same time.  The scales are present, but not overly so.
How "cool" would you say is "cool" in this regard? Just a little bit colder than a human's skin, or rather noticeably colder?

(And thanks for the answers so far, both of you.  :-))

Offline Friday

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »
Snakes are cold-blooded, so they're going to be pretty much room temperature.  (I just remembered that the time I got to hold a boa, it was at an outdoor festival in the summer, hence the warmth.)

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
*points up*  Like that.  Cool in that there is no 'internal' heat to it, not cold like something that conducts heat away.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »
Thanks again, Friday and Oniya, for giving me some ideas.  :-) I should have thought of the cold-blooded aspect. As this is for a character who is actually warm-blooded, but partially covered in scales I guess I'll focus the description on dry, supple, and being just a bit different in texture to the rest of her skin, but not worry about temperature.

Offline Drake Valentine

• Architect of Worlds
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • Making Your Darkest of Fantasies a Reality
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:11 AM »
Pet store. Some have snakes and I am sure they will let you touch em. Assuming they are not posionous.

Offline AEvum

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »
Pet store. Some have snakes and I am sure they will let you touch em. Assuming they are not posionous.
I would assume pet stores wouldn't carry poisonous snakes.

You might want to mention that snakes shed their skin. By that I mean now and then mention that the skin feels more tattered and broken as it gets closer to shedding time and more smooth after shedding.

Offline KatKwik

• Kuddle Kat~💄Resident Kitteh💋~Wondering Poet~Wearing Stilettos to bed~
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”
  • 💋~Wolf kuddler~🍫Chocolate, Kitty Kandy🍫
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:53:51 AM »
The one I touched was a two metre python that totally changed my ideas of what I thought a snake would feel like.

She was warmer than I expected, with rippling muscles that moved a little when she was stroked. Her skin was tough but smooth. I couldn't feel the scales at all. The thing that comes to mind is a stress ball, though I don't think she would have liked me much if I squeezed her.