You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 12:36:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Buying a used car?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Ket

• Electroslut Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • The Onion Queen - crispy fried goodness
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Buying a used car?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »
Oh, man. I so wish I could afford a smart car. I want one so bad.

No, really, you don't. 

Offline Haibane

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 05:25:14 AM »
Oh, man. I so wish I could afford a smart car. I want one so bad.
You're so gonna hate me then because I drive one. It has a soft top and in the summer with the roof off its so much fun!

Well its fun all the time but with the roof down is best.

They have an amazing luggage capacity too, hubby and I went away for a weeks holiday in it once and we packed everything in one huge suitcase which just fitted, standing on end in the luggage space.

Offline Torch

• Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain/Trieste's sarcasm buddy
  • Suspended
  • Enchanter
  • "Soul meets soul on lovers' lips." P.B. Shelley
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
A contestant on "The Price is Right" just won one of these in the Showcase Showdown:

Yes, it was yellow and I thought of you.  ;D

Offline Iniquitous

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
Trieste - one thing I learned the hard way when I bought my car a little over a month ago. Take the car to Advanced Auto Parts/Auto Zone and have them test the battery and alternator. It's a free test and will let you know if both are good.

I had no clue to do this (and dad, who was telling me what to look for on the phone forgot to mention it) and now I am trying to save up 500 dollars to have the alternator replaced.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:32:14 AM by Iniquitous Opheliac »

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
Trieste - one thing I learned the hard way when I bought my car a little over a month ago. Take the car to Advanced Auto Parts/Auto Zone and have them test the battery and alternator. It's a free test and will let you know if both are good.

I had no clue to do this (and dad, who was telling me what to look for on the phone forgot to mention it) and now I am trying to save up 500 dollars to have the alternator replaced.

You may be able to get your mechanic to do this as well (in conjunction with the once-over I suggested up-thread).

Offline makizushi

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
108k miles
60k miles on a rebuilt engine

I wouldn't buy it...

I know next to nothing about cars. But why at 48k miles was the engine rebuilt?! That sounds like this car is a lemon. And conveniently it's a yellow car.

LEMON!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:11:05 PM by makizushi »

Offline TriesteTopic starter

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
All of this information has been extremely useful. I went to check out the car today, and I took it for a drive and grilled (in a friendly manner) the current owner. Mr. Trieste took a look under the hood and said it looks decent. I've put in an application for a loan from the bank and I'm going to see about picking it up. :) Thanks so much for the info!

Offline Kurzyk

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 05:35:20 AM »

Yea the Advanced auto parts in Louisiana was great, they test and even install new batteries for free. You just have to buy the new one.

Trieste it's good that you went to a bank for the loan. Some of those "cash now" type of places are shifty when it comes to the interest, and it often changes over time. I'm sure you guys were careful but keep an eye on that interest and read the fine print. :) I once did a refinance for someone who was told 22% from one of those cash places, but after two years was actually paying close to 40%.

Offline TriesteTopic starter

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
I bought my last car through J.D. Byrider, to be honest, and it sucked. I think over the course of my loan, i ended up paying them like $15 grand. The fact that I got a car and paid off the loan was good for my credit, but it was miserable. So this time, I decided to go through a private seller and just apply for the loan through my own bank. They have like a 4% APR and we don't have to borrow too much from them. Plus, I will put my tax return toward a deposit (which is a little less than a 25% deposit), and put the proceeds of the sale of my current car toward the loan. It seemed, ah, safer. :P

Once I have a deposit for the owner, I'm going to bring the car to my mechanic and have it checked out thoroughly. As far as I can tell, the owner was upfront about what we may like and what we'd have to fix. The sun roof is the only thing I really need to worry about at the moment, and as long as it's sealed closed, it's not something I have to rush on.

Offline Kurzyk

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
Yes what you describe of your experience with J.D.Byrider is a great example. A lot of places like that are often more willing to offer loans when people need it than banks, but come with a much higher interest rate.

4% is awesome though, and by applying your tax return as well as the proceeds towards it, keeps the payments down. Safe and smart. Congrats. :)