You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 25, 2016, 07:05:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Password-Protecting Folders  (Read 1100 times)

Offline CaeliTopic starter

Password-Protecting Folders
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
Is it possible to password-protect individual folders on my computer? That is, someone would need a password to access content in those folders.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium.

Offline Saffron

• ღ Your Designer Drug ღ Myobi's Hither and Thither Girl ღ
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: ღ There's a whole wide world for us to see, the only thing you gotta do is follow me ღ
  • ღ I just wanna make you feel loved ღ
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Password-Protecting Folders
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
This quick tutorial might help. :-)

Offline Misty Zephyrs

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
There are some programs for file and folder encryption here.  Look under Security Software < Encryption Software. One I found is called PixelCryptor.  Be sure to read the Editors' Review.

There are also some programs available here.  Look under Security Tools < File and Folder Protection.

Offline jaybee55

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
I've been using TrueCrypt for years.  It's especially nice because it's open source, and can be used on Linux, Windoze, and OSX, BSD, etc.  Rather than encrypt a "folder" it lets you create a fully encrypted container file of a given size, anywhere you want on your hard drive, and use that file as a separate device (in Windoze it shows up as a hard drive).  It's also very difficult for someone to tell that your container file is a TrueCrypt volume.  The encryption is VERY strong, and the software provides some additional security features as well.

In addition to the container file method you can also encrypt entire devices or partitions (as long as they don't need to be bootable).  Like an entire flash drive for example, or a separate partition on your hard drive.