Gods of New York City Recruitment Thread

Started by himawari, September 30, 2023, 07:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

himawari

This is inspired by multiple group RPs I had been in whereby they mix modern life with mythological gods/goddesses.

Gods and goddesses had always lived among mortals. Not everyone lived on Mount Olympus or the Nine Realms as stories foretold. Oceans rose, empires fell and sometimes not according to the immortal gods (or goddesses) plans. Mortals adapted on their own and most of them without the reliance of an immortal being. Powers of the gods starts to diminish and of course after centuries of "work", one could say some of the higher beings decided it was time to slow down. Rumors had said that New York City was the place to be. "Concrete jungle where dreams are made of"......or so they say.

Well, the gods and goddesses from every walks of life started settling in. Some created a name for themselves in the Big Apple while others went the other direction and live a quieter and simpler life. Either way, more and more gods and goddesses started settling into the already bustling city.

Things to note:

• This is a sandbox game. There will be little GM interference (unless there is a big event). You are in charge of your own stories.
  • The gods and goddesses might know each other but that does not mean they have to like each other. Rivalry and drama happen all the time.
  • Gods are still gods. Even those who choose to lead a quiet life need some sort of attention from mortals to maintain their powers.
  • God-mode. Not in 2023. We do not want to destroy the world. Funnily enough, gods and goddesses have weaknesses too.
  • Mutual respect. Consent and constant communication between all parties involved is needed.

Character Sheet
[center][size=18pt][b]Name of God/Goddess[/b][/size][/center]

[float=right][img height=400 padding=5]IMAGE LINK HERE[/img][/float]

[b]Mortal Identity: [/b]
[b]Pantheon: [/b](what group of gods they're from)
[b]Portfolio: [/b](the things they had divine power over i.e: god of finances and wealth)
[b]Gender: [/b]
[b]Apparent Age: [/b]
[b]Occupation: [/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation: [/b]

[b]Height: [/b] (what they would look like in front of a mortal)
[b]Weight: [/b]
[b]Hair color: [/b]
[b]Eye color: [/b]
[b]General Appearance: [/b]
[b]Faceclaim: [/b]

[b]Origin and Background: [/b] (Their time as a god, how they came to NYC, etc)

[b]Godly Gifts: [/b] (Special abilities gained from their waning status as deities, max of three)

[b]Skills and Talents: [/b] (Both from their time as gods and for their mortal guises)

[b]Immortal Equipment: [/b] (Max one item associated with the god i.e: Poseidon's trident)

[b]Personality and Motivations: [/b]

[b]Weaknesses and Flaws: [/b] (Minimum 2 weaknesses)

[b]Ons/Offs: [/b]

[b]Extras: [/b] (Anything else you wanna share)

Gods and Goddess Residing in New York City

Author
Himawari
RainyHigh
mainsnoires
Wolfling72
Xerial
Marie Reynolds
Foxy DeVille
Whatliesabove
Kara Denvers
ArtemisHighmore
WickedLittleWitch
TheFluffyOne
Andronica

God/Goddess
Persephone
Orisha
Apollo
Orisha
Coyote
Aglaea
Mohini
Amphitrite
Dionysus
Hephaestus
Sedna
Brigid
Sif

Face Claim
Adelaide Kane
Solána Imani Rowe
N/A
Rosa Acosta
Taika Waititi
Bryce Dallas Howard
Amelia Maltepe
Milly Alcock
Cara Delevingne
Anders Lindstrom
Quannah Chasinghorse
Eleanor Tomlinson
Scarlett Johannson

Reserved Gods/Goddesses

Author
TheFluffyOne
Alleron
Aethyrium
Primarch
Kuroneko
Mellific

God/Goddess
Brigid
Thor
Anubis or Nyx
Dagda
Hachiman or Inari
Hecate

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

himawari

LINKS WILL BE PLACED HERE

Places

The Village -  Where all the shoppes are
Central Park - The park
The City - Where work and fun happens
Residences -  Homes of the gods

Out of Character

Chat -  Discussions to be held here
Character Sheet - All the beautiful peoples here for your references
Events - Any big announcements/changes to be found here

AndyZ

Keeping an eye on this.  It’s worth asking: do you need to stay secret and/or do mortals just forget if you show them what you can do?
Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    Advice for GMs on Elliquiy

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Foxy DeVille

Hmmm... tentatively interested. Would like to hear more details.

mainsnoires

Andronica

Peeking in to see how this develops! Is this American Gods based (in terms of the gods/goddesses still needing worship) or just general urban fantasy with reasonable power sets?

Alleron

Add me to the “interested but would need more details” crew!

himawari

Quote from: AndyZ on September 30, 2023, 10:42:14 AM
Keeping an eye on this.  It’s worth asking: do you need to stay secret and/or do mortals just forget if you show them what you can do?

stay secret. unless you trust the mortals enough to keep your secret.
i mean some gods/goddesses have the power to make them forget seeing them too.

himawari

Quote from: Andronica on September 30, 2023, 12:15:53 PM
Peeking in to see how this develops! Is this American Gods based (in terms of the gods/goddesses still needing worship) or just general urban fantasy with reasonable power sets?

It's up to the player honestly if they want to continue being revered (going about garnering people to join their "cult"-i say this very loosely). Some may be tired of the praises and worship and just want a quiet life.
But this would definitely fall in the category of urban fantasy with reasonable power sets.

It be a sandbox game.

himawari

I'm off to bed. Will add the details tomorrow.

Primarch

Andronica

Quote from: himawari on September 30, 2023, 12:22:24 PM
It's up to the player honestly if they want to continue being revered (going about garnering people to join their "cult"-i say this very loosely). Some may be tired of the praises and worship and just want a quiet life.
But this would definitely fall in the category of urban fantasy with reasonable power sets.

It be a sandbox game.

Ok, great! Thanks for the clarification and I look forward to more details tomorrow. :)

I am tentatively laying claim to Athena or Sif... but I have lots of ideas rolling around for Idun or Bast as well depending on how the cast starts developing.

Kara Danvers

Hey! I love this idea. I actually tried to get a similar game going a few months back, an American Gods version, so I would be so down for this! I'd like to tentatively claim Dionysus!
~ʜᴏᴘᴇ, ʜᴇʟᴘ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀꜱꜱɪᴏɴ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀʟʟ~
 ~ᴋᴀʀᴀ ᴅᴀɴᴠᴇʀꜱ~

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

RainyHigh

*raises hand* I'm definitely interested in hearing more info~
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently NOT open for solo stories
Rainy's Scene Tracker

himawari

Character sheet added. Feel free to start creating.

himawari

Mortal Identity: Sarah-Rose Dubois
Pantheon: Greek/Olympus
Portfolio: The goddess of springtime and fertility and queen of the underworld
Apparent Age: 23
Sexual Orientation: Hetero

Height: 1.63m
Weight: 55kg
Hair color: Dark brown
Eye color: Hazel brown
General Appearance: Wavy dark brown hair that flows down to her hips. She keeps them in a ponytail or an updo when she is working.  Her skin slightly tanned and smooth like velvet. Slender and lithe. Mostly seen wearing flowy dresses (or dresses in general). She also enjoy wearig comfy clothes most of the time. She keeps her nails painted in nude colours whenever she is working. But whenever she is with her husband, she paints her nails a darker shade. It is the same with her dressing as well as make up. Things will become a few shades darker.
Faceclaim: Adelaide Kane

Origin and Background:

Origin
According to Greek Mythology, Persephone, the queen of the underworld, was the daughter of Zeus and Demeter, the goddess of harvest and fertility. She was also called Kore, which means "maiden" and grew up to be a lovely girl attracting the attention of many gods. However, Demeter had an obsessed love for her only daughter and kept all men away from her.

Hades, the ruler of the Underworld, decided that he wanted to marry Persephone, his sister Demeter’s only daughter. One day, as she was gathering flowers in the Nysian meadow with her maidens, she wandered apart from the group ensnared by the sudden blooming of a glorious fragrant flower (some say it was a narcissus). As she reached to pluck it, the ground below her feet opened up and Hades, in his four-horse golden chariot, appeared before her in all his power and majesty. He snatched her and took her with him to the Underworld, to be his wife and queen.

Needless to say, Demeter wasn’t very pleased when she found out from Hecate and Helios what had happened. Hurt and distraught, she started wandering aimlessly around and was aggrieved to such an extent that she neglected all her duties. And since she was the goddess of agriculture and fertility, the earth was now barren, and people were dying of famine.

Seeing no way out of it, Zeus (who some say must have approved Hades’ abduction in the first place) sent Hermes to the Underworld to fetch Persephone back to her mother. The divine messenger did do precisely that, and Demeter and Persephone were once again reunited on Olympus.

However, either on her own accord or, more probably, after being tricked by Hades, Persephone had tasted one pomegranate seed before leaving the Underworld. This, according to the ancient laws, obliged her to remain in the Underworld.

Zeus proposed a compromise: Persephone would spend two-thirds of the year with her mother, and one-third with her new husband. Everybody agreed – and that’s how the seasons were born and how the growth of crops was explained.

Just like a seed, Persephone spends few months of the year below the earth. This is the period of Demeter’s grief which coincides with the dark, winter months. However, when the time comes for Persephone to go back to her mother, Demeter brings back the light and the warmth and the earth rejoices in abundance.

Backstory
Times changed, the ever green Earth she walked upon started to get less and less green. She had to keep up with the times. She was still considered one of the younger goddesses and spent most of her time travelling and exploring the ever changing world. Despite the changing world around her, she still remained the same. Ever so curious (which got her in trouble in the beginning of time) led her to a place which she heard gods and goddess alike gathered. This time, she did not get in trouble but chose to settle down in a shophouse located at The Village. She opened her own flower atelier in a shophouse in town. Selling rare flowers and herbs. She lives right above her shop which only opens for the first six months of the year. The other six months, she would disappear (move back to the underworld or roam around with Hades somewhere in the mortal realm). The underworld is a busy place even more so in the modern times with new illnesses and stupid people who does stupid things for clout which means both her husband and her have their work cut out for them.

Godly Gifts:

• Chlorokinesis - Persephone could transform anything (even people) into flowers or anything related to flora. Persephone has absolute control and divine authority over flowers and other plants and is the strongest during Spring.
  • Geokinesis (limited) - She is able to manipulate the earth to an extent, due to her being the wife of Hades as well as the daughter of Demeter. She can split open the ground beneath her to get/send anyone into the Underworld. But she does not use this power often due to the fact that there is no need to in this day and age.
  • Florakinesis  -  She can create flowers with special abilities suck as tracking petals to track a person or a rose that put someone to sleep.

Skills and Talents:

• A very green thumb. No plant has ever died on her watch.
  • Like all Olympian gods/goddesses, she is blessed in being agile and light footed.
  • Musically inclined to sing to the flora and encourage them to grow.
  • A soothing presence that could even quell the god of the underworld's anger.

Immortal Equipment: NA

Personality and Motivations: Always curious and eager to get the answers despite her past experiences. She has a calm presence about her which makes everyone around her feel at ease. Due to her upbringing, she was raised to be someone with grace, poise and elegance of which even for thousands of years, she had upheld. She is kind to all living beings (flora and fauna). Though once angered, she could be a force to be dealt with. Even her husband fears her wrath. She is currently also trying to convince her stubborn husband to move to Hyperion Heights with her which has proven to be tough.

Weaknesses and Flaws:

• When angered, she tends to blow things up of proportion and it sometimes could take weeks to get back on her good side.
  • Despite being thousands of years old, she is still as naïve as the time Hades captured her. Her kind heart has been taken advantage of multiple times.
  • Ever so curious and stubborn enough to not back down until she gets the answers of which got her in trouble quite a few times as well.
  • Hades. She really loves him that much for him to be her weakness…she feels bad sometimes when she let her anger get out of hand (when it is directed towards him).

Ons/Offs: Clicky the linky

Extras:

Springtime Atelier

Exterior & Interior

Shophouse Home

Bedroom, Kitchen & Living Room

Xerial

[ Insert Placeholder For Dionysus ]

...le gasp, it seems Dionysus has been scooped?

himawari

Quote from: Xerial on October 01, 2023, 03:11:18 AM
[ Insert Placeholder For Dionysus ]

...le gasp, it seems Dionysus has been scooped?

you can PM the author and ask if he/she/they are willing to work things out with you.

**also you can use other gods from the other mythologies. it's not limited to the greeks.**

Xerial

Dionysus was on my mind from the American Gods thread that fell through.

...I suppose I could play Matshishkapeu... the Innu god of farts.  O:)

I'll put some more thought as to who I could play otherwise.

RainyHigh

This sandbox game sounds pretty nice. I have written up a CS application for the goddess Oshun (one of the hundreds of Orisha).

Tiwa/Oshun
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Rainy's Scene Tracker

himawari

Quote from: RainyHigh on October 01, 2023, 10:30:54 AM
This sandbox game sounds pretty nice. I have written up a CS application for the goddess Oshun (one of the hundreds of Orisha).

Tiwa/Oshun

Mortal Identity: Tiwa Moreno
Pantheon: Orisha (Yoruba/African Deities)
Portfolio: One of the hundreds of Orisha sent to Earth, Oshun can give and take life. She is a mighty river orisha associated with fertility, purity, love, and sensuality. She may have caused one or more floods in the past, but she always forced the waters to retreat, forgiving her adoring flock.
Apparent Age: 30
Occupation: Owner of 𝙃𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙂𝙤𝙡𝙙 (A Spa that specializes in massages, acupressure, skin treatments, facial treatments, and more)
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual and Polyamourous

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.
Weight: curvy build (around 150 pounds)
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Brown
General Appearance: Tiwa is around average height at five feet, four inches. She has dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. She has a curvy build and a smile that looks fantastic dressed in any color. In her goddess form, she has pointed ears, but she often hides them with her hair or uses magick to glamour them if necessary. Once in a river, Serena's skin transforms to golden scales, webbed fingers and toes appear, and gills so she can swim and breathe underwater.
Faceclaim: SZA - Solána Imani Rowe

Origin and Background: Thousands of years ago, Oshun was a favorite of the creator Olodumare. The city of Ife flourished, worshipping her and the Orisha. Thousands would wear Oshun's favorite color, yellow or gold. People prayed to Oshun for fertility to create their own life to bring into the world. But what is also not commonly known is that Oshun had the power to take life away. As the youngest of the Orisha, Oshun often felt she had to go above and beyond to prove herself.

She could control the rivers that flowed through Ife and other cities, and when spiteful--she was known to either cause droughts or floods to punish worshipers. But Oshun was a forgiving God and could bring life back, either causing the water to flow again or allowing it to ebb away slowly. Over the years, the Orisha were worshiped less and less like other gods globally, and her powers began diminishing. People began to look away from religion and into themselves more and more. With the enlightenment of science, people began to believe that gods no longer controlled the river's flow and that babies born to families were simply what happened naturally with humans rather than a miracle.

Oshun traveled from her homeland to Brazil and spent years there before going to North America and finally laying roots in New York City. With her waning powers, Oshun took on the mortal identity of Tiwa Moreno. She had been trained in the art of masseuse and looked for others with the special touch to create a spa called 𝙃𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙂𝙤𝙡𝙙. The spa aims to make people feel good, loved, and complete. There may or may not be rumors of happy endings.

Godly Gifts:
The Healing Waters: Oshun used to control life itself, from the water in the mother's womb to the river that helps bring the autumn's crop to harvest. But now, Oshun can create a bath to calm a distressed person. One might think she's drugged the water with some form of cannabis, but it's just her special touch.
The Ebb and Flow: Oshun's spite could cause floods and droughts in cities and farmlands, where she punished those who did her wrong. Her control over the rivers and freshwater sources was far-reaching. Nowadays, her powers could cause a puddle to dry or a cup of water to overflow onto one's nice dress shirt. Her hydrokinesis ability is not as impressive as it once used to be.
Give or Taketh Away: Oshun used to bless people with energy and love to bring more life to the world--she could also cause the opposite reaction. She may make someone feel more energized, but they must be willing. She could also cause the opposite feeling--making one feel lethargic--but the person also has to have already a tiny inkling of tiredness in their body for her to expand that feeling. Either way, she'd have to touch one to cause either of these feelings.

Skills and Talents:
Love Language: Oshun might not be as fluent as she once was, but she has a knack for discovering human desires and how they communicate through love. Too bad she has no idea about herself or other Gods.
The Dancing Drummer: Oshun can play the drums and loves to dance to the drum. She has been known to dance for hours and hours to forget her problems.
Seamstress/Knitting: Oshun can knit and sew to create clothing for a person that brings out their best features.
Stylist: This goes along with the above, but Oshun has become practiced in makeup and hairstyling to bring out the best in people's faces.
The Healing Touch: Oshun is well-versed in the human body and can easily massage away stress.

Immortal Equipment: Her golden crown, Ade ọrun, was gifted by Olodumare for her work. Wearing her golden crown allows her to communicate with anyone, no matter how far away or dead they may be.

Personality and Motivations: Oshun is very caring. She loves to help humans become their most beautiful selves--inside and out. But she also has a terrible temperament and is quick to anger at minor inconveniences. Her love life is pretty chaotic because, in the end, she feels that no one will ever love her as much as she loves herself, so she usually seeks out short-term relationships rather than long-term ones.

Weaknesses and Flaws:
Vanity: Oshun is in love with herself. She is so in love with herself that she doesn't believe anyone could ever love her enough. It is rather sad for a God of love. Oshun is pretty vane, too. She has been caught smiling at herself in the mirror on more than one occasion.
Unpredictable/Spiteful: Oshun is calming most of the time, but if someone says the wrong thing or the wifi goes down--she is quick to "flip her lid" and seek out ways to get her revenge.
Competitive/Jealousy: Oshun quickly becomes jealous of those better than her at something she feels good at. For instance, at a stylist competition, she thought she would lose to another contestant, so she may or may not have added the wrong processor to the hair dye--causing someone's hair to turn orange instead of platinum blonde. She is very competitive and vengeful. She can sometimes take a moment, breathe, and make a better choice--and learn from her mistakes, but most of the time, she'd instead lash out.

Ons/Offs: Right over here.

Extras: Oshun opened 𝙃𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙂𝙤𝙡𝙙 five years ago; she came to NYC in 2000 and spent time working in other high-end salons, doing side work as a stylist and makeup artist for celebrities.

She sounds perfect.

RainyHigh

Rainy's Ons and Offs
Rainy's Scene Tracker

Xerial

I need to stop reading about flatulence gods... even though Matshishkapeu is seen as the most powerful spirit in Innu mythology.

I've got a different thought instead. Working on a sheet for Coyote/Hermes/The Trickster.