Before we all sit back and judge the unfortunate souls who braved November weather to vote this year, please answer these simple questions and include them in your response. For the sake of accuracy I request that you do so without doing any research no matter how uncertain you are -- the honor system is very integral to this part of my post. I also ask that no one comment on any of these questions or disclose the actual answers in your posts (assume you do research after the fact or simply are quite sure you know the answer). Also, no editing you posts please -- edited posts will be disregarded for the sake of the statistics I total after we get enough data. I want to compare E to the general public out of curiosity.
True or false:
1) TARP was legislation enacted by Congress under President Bush to give money to banks across the country with no strings attached.
2) Cap and trade is economic legislation aimed at reducing the federal deficit.
3) Not a single Republican Senator voted for the Stimulus Bill (aka the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009).
4) Raum Emmanuel was President Obama's Secretary of State before he resigned to run for mayor of Chicago late this year.
5) Sarah Palin has since openly admitted that she was coached to give non-answers during the Vice Presidential Debates of 2008.
Feel free to include a line describing your political orientation if you wish.http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brunitedstatescanadara/671.php?nid=&id=&pnt=671&lb=
And now for some HIGHLIGHTS IN IGNORANCE
* 40% of voters believed incorrectly that the TARP legislation was initiated under Barack Obama, rather than George Bush
* Though the National Academy of Sciences has concluded that climate change is occurring, 45% of voters thought most scientists think climate change is not occurring (12%) or that scientists are evenly divided (33%).
* 86% assumed their taxes had gone up (38%) or stayed the same (48%), while only 10% were aware that their taxes had gone down since 2009
* Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)