Birth Order Affects Romance?

Started by Serephino, May 29, 2010, 12:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/how-birth-order-determines-your-romantic-compatibility-1441180/

Basically this article is saying that not only does birth order affect a person's personality, but it can also determine who you're compatible with.  Not sure I agree, though I am a functional only child (my half sisters are grandmothers and I never see them anyway), and my boyfriend is a first born.  According to this article we're a good match, and I agree on that at least.     

Paladin

Yeeeeea. I call this article complete BS. Theres no scientific proof backing it up. Wheres the reasearch, the studies? I think this is somebody witha PHD or something deciding they were gonna write a paper and get attention.

Lilias

There's plenty of research on how birth order influences personality, but this is taking it a step further, into how such shaped personalities interact with each other, and a lot of that is conjecture. After all, a child comes into a family environment that is largely consolidated already, while two adults shape their own relationship environment themselves, as they go.

Given that the article says nothing about how my couple situation should be (female only child + male youngest), I can't say I agree or disagree. I just take it all with a rock of salt.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Paladin

Quote from: Lilias on May 29, 2010, 05:17:45 PM
There's plenty of research on how birth order influences personality, but this is taking it a step further, into how such shaped personalities interact with each other, and a lot of that is conjecture. After all, a child comes into a family environment that is largely consolidated already, while two adults shape their own relationship environment themselves, as they go.

Given that the article says nothing about how my couple situation should be (female only child + male youngest), I can't say I agree or disagree. I just take it all with a rock of salt.

Oh I know theres been research done, but this paper unlike most papers I read has no sources. I could have missed them somewhere though.

Serephino

It looks like a magazine article about a book, but it lists Dr.Spock.com as a source.  I'm guessing everything from there comes from the theories of that so called child expert.  And probably any studies done are talked about in the book.  Who the hell knows....  Lilias is right, it looks more like conjecture than anything else. 

Of course there has been lots of studies done about birth order and personalities.  I've read many articles and seen news show features on it.  This seems like someone with a psychology degree matching up personalities the way one would match up astrological signs.  Some of the reasoning makes sense, so it could have at least a little validity to it.  That being said, every person is different, and why we love who we love can't be explained by science. 

Of course I do fit the profiles of an only child and a Gemini.   

Oniya

To quote a comic strip that came out years ago:  'What could a Vulcan possibly know about Earth babies?'

By some standards, I'm a middle child (I have three older siblings and a younger.)  By some, I'm an 'oldest' (there were 9 years between my next oldest sibling and when I came along).  Mr. Oniya is a youngest.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17