The REAL victims of Obama’s healthcare reform

Started by The Overlord, September 22, 2009, 05:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Your reality doesn't apply to me...

zach171

I agree. Nice find!  So I'm guessing you're for the new health care reform?

Revolverman

Haha, awesome.

I don't even support Government health care, and I find this awesome.

The Overlord

Quote from: zach171 on September 29, 2009, 07:21:31 PM
I agree. Nice find!  So I'm guessing you're for the new health care reform?

Thank you. Let me put it this way. Is Obama’s healthcare reform package flawless? No.

But regardless of your political standing, I think most of us can identify and agree with the big issues that have broke the system, which this video addressees.

I have brought this up before: if the GOP has a better plan than out with it already. I don’t believe they do, or they’d have it all over the news.

Even if the Obama administration hasn’t published a work of political art, we need to roll on something here. The endless and unprofessional bickering, as witnessed in Obama’s congressional speech, is just loading the ship’s keel down so it never leaves port.

This is a long-standing white elephant in the room, no pun intended to the GOP, that’s been debated over for many decades. It’s time we put an end to it and caught up with other modern nations on national healthcare…now.

SleepyWei

Quote from: The Overlord on September 30, 2009, 02:57:59 AM

Thank you. Let me put it this way. Is Obama’s healthcare reform package flawless? No.

But regardless of your political standing, I think most of us can identify and agree with the big issues that have broke the system, which this video addressees.

I have brought this up before: if the GOP has a better plan than out with it already. I don’t believe they do, or they’d have it all over the news.

Even if the Obama administration hasn’t published a work of political art, we need to roll on something here. The endless and unprofessional bickering, as witnessed in Obama’s congressional speech, is just loading the ship’s keel down so it never leaves port.

This is a long-standing white elephant in the room, no pun intended to the GOP, that’s been debated over for many decades. It’s time we put an end to it and caught up with other modern nations on national healthcare…now.

Thing is, we would be making so much more progress if our every decision did not have to be politicized. Honestly, there are just some decisions that are supposed to be decided on a moral base, not just if it would benefit one's personal career. If people would just listen a bit and be willing to sacrifice some time and effort, we wouldn't always be at each others' necks.

The Overlord

Quote from: SleepyWei on September 30, 2009, 03:01:12 AM
Thing is, we would be making so much more progress if our every decision did not have to be politicized. Honestly, there are just some decisions that are supposed to be decided on a moral base, not just if it would benefit one's personal career. If people would just listen a bit and be willing to sacrifice some time and effort, we wouldn't always be at each others' necks.

Did you not just watch the video? There is no moral base here...the execs in the industry and the politicians in their pockets don't want reform, because business is good for them as things are.

I mean consider the system of checks and balances in government. Hell no it's not perfect but who is checking and balancing big corporations?

The government certainly has the power and influence to do it. Are they the best moral example themselves? Hell no.

So then, if a government agency doesn’t put a compass on the industry, who will? The alternative is that you and I are going to have to organize, a LOT of us, and say guess what fuckers? We’re imposing guidelines on how mega-corporations can be run now.

Do you see that happening right now? I don’t. What's the alternative? I tend to think an imperfect patch on the tire beats no action at all, and leaving us with a blowout.

zach171

I agree that action must be taken, but there are some things a lot of people seem to be missing.  No one cares about how this will catastrophically damage the insurance agencies because they deserve it, and I agree that they do, but destroying a huge section of our economy (while we're at the bottom of a recession don't forget) will do damage that will make the recession last a lot longer, if it doesnt drop into a depression. 

On another note, the only reliable way to get information on the bill seems to be to read it yourself.  As evidence, even members of congress are yelling "liar" because they honestly believe that what Obama was saying was inaccurate in the bill.  I haven't read it, so I don't know which one of them is right.  Have you?

RubySlippers

Destroy them - how?

No proposal fixes prices for health care unless its already run by the government so an insurer under these mandates can charge what they need to.

I suspect with the increased enrollments the prices will go up since they have to cover everyone with no limits, I don't get capping the lifetime care costs limit however, they will raise their plan costs. That is why I'm for a mandatory no-profit BASIC plan all insurers must offer and let them add to that if a person or family wants more coverage or benefits. Switzerland does this and no one there in the industry is going broke.

zach171

I agree the extra 50 million uninsured people that suddenly will be buying insurance will help.  But a large number of people will elect for the non-profit government option.  Obama has made it clear he wants to increase competition in order to lower prices.  300 million people have insurance, so if everyone's costs go down $4 you're looking at over a billion dollars that have to come from somewhere else.  Thats not counting all the money they'll need because a lot of those new 50 million are high risk, and all the money they saved dropping coverage will now need to be paid too.  The companies have to somehow become massively more efficient overnight, or else go broke.  Don't get me wrong, I'm for the bill, I just think this could have more consequences than we're seeing right now.

The Overlord

Quote from: zach171 on September 30, 2009, 07:00:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm for the bill, I just think this could have more consequences than we're seeing right now.

I see the merit in this argument, but continuing to do nothing has proven to have plenty of consequences as well. It's understandable why we're still trying to work this out.