Ideas awaiting RPers who love to write and will play male characters (m/f) [UN]

Started by Malina, September 05, 2009, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malina

Hello, there, thanks for dropping in!  :D

I'm Malina, usually online daily for a few hours at least, and eager to finally start some RPs with the folks of Elliquiy. I only write female characters and seek male ones. The writer's gender doesn't matter, as long as the character is convincing. I love to write and put some effort into posts, plots, characters and backgrounds. The writing means as much to me as the story itself, I like longer, well-written posts best. If you love language and enjoy writing a few evocative, descriptive paragraphs, we would have the essential basis for an RP. Lurk my On/Off page or PM me to for more. The length or shortness of what I wrote to each of the ideas here has nothing to do with preferences or with an idea being better developed than the others, by the way. If you find nothing of interest here but would consider me as a partner for other stories, drop me a PM with your propositions.

House by the lake (taken)

This RP  could have suspense/mystery/horror elements with a light to strong supernatural touch. A haunted house, the second sight, or witchcraft. A number of diaries or grimoires that have been passed on for generations, a tarot deck, runes, artifacts could be found the house and read or used out of curiosity. Or there could be an archaeological site nearby or something similar from whence the supernatural element enters the scene, or it could begin with the lake. Of course, it might also come in the form of your character.

Who is my character? A European in her mid twenties, she works as a successful freelance book illustrator. Some of her work tends to be dark in mood, she loves the supernatural, myths, Celtic and Norse legends, vampires, ghosts, werewolves etc. Recently, she was contracted to illustrate a novel based on La bête du Gévaudan (The beast of Gévaudan).

Who could your character be? A local or a stranger, in his late twenties to late thirties. As your character's profession, occupation or background, feel free to chose whatever you think might fit the RP. I'd be glad to work something out that would create a connection between our characters.

I picked Maine for the RP, but we can make it a place in north-western Europe, for example, with similar climate and scenery. I prefer to be flexible and develop plots with my RP partners, which is why my ideas are not concrete at this point. We can also move the plot back in time, if you'd prefer that.  I have ideas /plot-lines for everything mentioned, but I'm open for ideas/suggestions/changes. Of course, depending on the plot, we can both create characters to fill roles needed for our plot.

Here's an introduction to the setting.

There is a very small town somewhere in the district now called the Highlands of Maine. It is autumn, the woods are their most beautiful, perhaps, at this time of the year, and closer to those roads and places frequented by tourists, their season of Indian summer is in full sway. The small town hardly ever sees a tourist, and if so, then in passing. Life here is uneventful, for the most part, everybody has known most people who live around here for all their lives.

Least known might have been the Hendersons, an elderly couple who had moved into the old house by the lake some twenty years ago. Old Mr. Henderson had been a professor for anthology once. They had always been polite and amiable, but had kept to themselves mostly. The locals had become used to their presence in that house and their reluctance to go out or have visitors. Their reclusiveness had never been so extreme it would have raised questions or seemed offensive, they would come to church, would shop, chat a little, use the library, support local charities and come by for an hour or so when there was any event in town.

In January of this year, the Hendersons died in a car accident. Ever since, the house stood empty, the executioner of the old people's testament arranged for a few of the townspeople to look after the house, see to the garden and keep the place clean and in good repair until the heir was found. In the early summer, the executioner found a relative of the Hendersons. Everybody expected her to have the house sold, but it never happened.

Today, on this cold, clear morning, the Hendersons' heiress drove up the long serpentine road that leads to the isolated house by the lake. She carried heavy suitcases and boxes into the house, lit the lights and fires as well as the central heating and apparently planned to move in...

Julia notes in her diary: I cannot believe my luck. That I should have inherited a beautiful old house and quite a shocking amount of money still feels as unreal as any dream, although I have known for months now. I have seen all the paperwork, my solicitor confirms that nothing is amiss, nothing can possibly be an error, but I still cannot believe it. I never even knew I had family in [...]. How odd to think I should be the sole offspring of some rich old clan, the last of which used to live like recluses in that house by the lake of theirs near a nice small town which looks more like a village to me. I was told nobody there ever suspected they had more money than could be expected from a retired professor. The executor has been trying to find me for almost a year. My mother was born in [...], she only came here when she was six. I wonder when she would have told me, and why she did not mention it, once. We were always so close. Why did she make it a secret?

But who is she? (taken)

This story begins with an accident a young woman has. Your character could either find her and for one reason or other decides not to take her to hospital although she is unconscious, or he could be a neurologist /therapist or similar at the hospital, or some general practitioner. It's up to you, we'll find what suits us.

My character appears to have lost her memory through that accident. Try as they may, nobody can find out who she is, whence she came. They also try to help her remember, find out what of the world she knows. She apparently does not suffer much due to her state of amnesia, she is in good health, all would be deemed normal, were it not for the fact she seems to remember nothing of her life, not even a name. She is not anxious, but rather unafraid, open and curious about everything and everybody she encounters. Yet at times, there is such a strong, dreamy, withdrawn, almost unearthly quality to her, some strangeness that might still be explained with her amnesia, but not altogether, at least not forever.

Nonetheless, soon there can be no doubt that she is neither a danger to herself nor to others. She is sound of mind, if unusual. If she was in hospital, she would be released now, but would still need support, would probably not be left living alone without someone looking in on her on a daily basis. She would need an identity, help to find a means to earn her living etc..

Of course, for our RP, I would like your character to establish some bond to her, via work as a doctor, or because he is the one who found her, so that there will be close contact after she leaves hospital. Your character could also have taken her to his home and she might simply like to stay there. More or less...  Over time, doubts and questions will haunt your character – or maybe - something more? Who can tell? Well, I could, but I won't, not yet...

I have a lot of background for my character which I would unravel in the course of the RP, leaving both you and your character to guess and follow hints. I think this could be very interesting, I'll definitely try to develop her into a direction that will suit you and make for a plot we both enjoy. This could but need not involve a supernatural element, it could be very light in mood or really dark, we would outline that when we talk the idea over.

Not alone (taken)

Pick any period you like, any character that comes to mind. Now, he will shipwreck or his airplane crashed – whatever it is, he end up all alone, stranded on a beach (climate and region of your choice, too).  At first, he thinks the island or region is uninhibited, struggles to survive, begins to explore the region, search for food, built a shelter, etc.. By and by, he suspects he's not the only one living there, after all. He is right, of course. Depending on your choice, there could be a whole group of people, a highly developed civilisation even, or just my character living there. They would probably not speak a word of your character's language, nor he theirs, he has no idea who they are, has never heard of them. I do have ideas prepared, of course, but I write no more as I'd try to make this plot and these people and/or my character interesting for you, personally, if you have any ideas or wishes as to what might await your character.

Shades of Black and Grey (taken)

A small town in Germany, the war is just over. Your character has been fighting in the war for years, has seen and suffered terrible things. Was there when a KZ was liberated. Most likely, he hates the Germans. He is stationed in a small town, where the allies will set up an administration and try to uphold order, find out who of the people who so hastily hung the white sheets out of their windows and burned certain books and flags, have been deep into the Nazi party and who is maybe to be trusted to fill one of the posts that will later be needed in the administration, schools etc..

There also has to be upheld some order among the soldiers. There's plundering, the black market, smuggling. There are, be it right under the surface or deep down, a lot of secrets these people keep. They have been through years of dictatorship, when neighbours spied on each other, nobody could be trusted or speak their minds freely, even children went to tell on their parents if they expressed doubts or spoke against the regime. No secret was safe unless you kept it to yourself. Now the old grudges play a role and some surface again openly.

Your character is stationed in the house where my character lives. She has her secrets, too, she was one of the few who helped Jews to hide and flee. She tried to smuggle information out, was connected to a resistance group. Nobody knows or suspects any of this, all everybody knows of her is that she was a loyal party member, the good Nazi woman impersonate. She even looks the stereotype.

Of course, her once perfect masquerade now is to her disadvantage, she has no proof of what she did and was, in secret. Actually, shortly before the war ended, her group was betrayed. She has been waiting for the Gestapo to arrest her for months, afraid her name had been mentioned or forced out of someone by torture, probably the end of the war and the ensuing chaos saved her neck. Few are more relieved the allies won the war than her. Yet, unlike many others, she does not try to appear reformed or pretend to have never supported the party. She is too proud, cool, utterly despises those who do everything now to get in the good books with the English or Americans stationed there, just as they did under the dictatorship.

These two apparent enemies (most likely with other family members and soldiers) live under the same roof. Times are hard, food is rare, but by and by, everything seems to return to a semblance of normality. Then it comes out my character even had some connection to one of the guards of the KZ, that she has been there several times. Of course, she had other reasons to go there than what it appeared to be, but now, it makes her look even worse.

Her silence, coldness and apparent haughtiness make her even less likable and more difficult to approach. On the other hand, she is maybe the only one in town who speaks and writes English fluently. She is educated, even cultivated, which makes her (seeming) support of the fascist regime while she was fully aware of the atrocities going on even worse in the eyes of the allies. There is no crime she is accused of, nothing punishable, just the fact that she knew this much and still supported the party to the last. Maybe, in the course of the RP, at some point will her name be cleared, which can only happen if someone of her group or someone she helped to hide or flee was to show up.

I have ideas for the secrets and intrigues that go on in that little community, there could be a lot of tension, even fresh crimes as people settle old grudges, all secret, all behind the back of the Americans/English, or even by using them to get their 'enemies' arrested etc.. It all depends on where we want to take the plot from here. This is obviously a realistic setting, no supernatural elements involved, it could be focussing mainly on the two characters or include the broader spectrum of whatever goes on among the small town's population (my responsibility) or the allied forces (yours).

I would like it best if your character would be someone who has been involved in heavy fighting and had seen hard years of wartime, witnessed atrocities, if he really came to hate the Germans, not necessarily in an utterly extreme way. I would like them to start off as 'enemies' and be forced to arrange with each other in the same household, maybe even during work (? her working for the allies?). Mostly, soldiers would not be allowed to show much violence against the population, especially later on when the military administration was fully established.

There might be, from the beginning, a physical attraction between our characters, or none at all, despite her being very good-looking. She does not dislike the allies one bit, but in her pride, being disgusted by the behaviour of some townspeople, she keeps aloof, makes no effort to befriend any allies, which lets her look even more like a convinced fascist. Still, over time, any enemy, seen from so close a distance, becomes more and more human, an individual with good and bad sides. I'm interested in the relationship that could develop between our characters, but also would like to explore the whole complex situation of the people in that small town, the web of lies and grudges, secrets and betrayals, guilt and good deeds they are all caught up in to some degree.

Well, this is it, for now, I hope some of it can catch the one or other eye and spark a fire that only needs a little kindling to become a blazing RP.

All of the settings are [UN] or [MUL] to this point, if there were to be  [EX] involved, I would prefer it not to happen to my main character, but to side characters I'd be willing to RP. I write with a good deal of psychological realism and depth. Trauma and violence might affect or destroy a character or make a (functioning) relationship between my character and yours highly improbable. Hence, I prefer to provide an NSC  for any necessary atrocities, rape scenes etc.  rather than have the main protagonist victimised. However, should we decide to make one of these stories very dark and twisted with an unhappy end, it might be alright to have the main characters directly involved in such things.

In general, though, I enjoy and prefer writing 'normal' relationships, women and men who are attracted and willing to be together, who flirt, seduce, win, find one another, are roughly equals in a relationship, have a romance or a passionate affair – well, the whole scenario of relationships. There can be a degree of light [NC] involved, sex also definitely does not have to be all cuddly and strictly vanilla, but for what would logically traumatise or 'damage' my characters, the above-mentioned rule of thumbs applies.

Hayato

I like the ideas of Not Alone and House by the Lake. Let me know which one you'd prefer.

Malina

Thanks for showing interest! House by the Lake might be taken, someone sent me a few very interesting ideas already, I'm pretty much hooked. So, why don't you drop me a PM with your ideas for Not Alone? :-)

She

O:)  She  Creature's  Ons   &  Offs  >:)      
--->  Story  Ideas <---

I post daily, more heavily on weekdays than on weekends.
I typically like to post between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (U.S.A.), Mon - Fri, also often checking the boards periodically throughout the evening and regularly on weekends. 
I write when things are slow at the office, so there are many days when I post frequently.

I typically like partners who can post once (or more) a day.

Malina

Thanks for the PM, Hayato, I sent you a reply.  :-)

*laughs* Oh, hello, She! *hugs* Thanks for the PM. Should it really happen this time? Whoot!
You're the second to take interest in Not Alone, but with the many possibilities you've shot my way, we can easily make it completely different from what Hayato has in mind. I'll PM you soon, I'm mulling your ideas over and will pick one that is least similar to Hayato's setting. ;)

She

--->  Story  Ideas <---

I typically like to post between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (U.S.A.), Mon - Fri, also often checking the boards periodically throughout the evening and regularly on weekends. 
I write when things are slow at the office, so there are many days when I post frequently.

Malina

Malina

Thanks a lot to everybody who showed interest!     :D

Wow, this really happened fast, three RPs starting already...

Malina

All four ideas are now taken. ;D

I have no new RP requests right now, but if you have an RP idea you can imagine I might be interested in, you can always drop me a PM with what you have in mind. Even if I might not be able to squeeze in another RP immediately, if your idea is interesting, I'd make sure to come back to you once I can add new RPs to my list.

I do love well-written, in-depth and detailed RPs that have a 'spark', a lively, easy flow that strikes new ideas and kindles interest with every post. That's the utmost temptation for me, so, if you write like that and think I might be someone who matches your idea of a good RP partner, please don't hesitate to PM me.  :D

When I come up with more ideas, I'll add them here, of course.

She

--->  Story  Ideas <---

Malina

Quote from: She on September 10, 2009, 05:56:03 PM
FYI:  Malina is an awesome roleplayer.  She really is!

*blinks, blushes, then runs towards She, sweeps her off her feet and into a hug and whirls her around*

Awww, thank you for the compliment - and here it is right back at you, you're just marvellous, it's such fun to RP with you!

*beams and sets She down on her own feet again*

Mjoellnir

QuoteFYI:  Malina is an awesome roleplayer.  She really is!

And here I was wanting to write something similar in here but you had beat me to it.

She really is an outstanding RPr and I am glad I did PM her with the request for the RP we are in now.