Israel's conflict, and what it means for everyone else

Started by WhatLiesAbove, May 13, 2021, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinzler

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on May 12, 2022, 09:11:04 PM
It is for these reasons that I feel it necessary to come out against the actions of Israel for killing a Muslim-American.

Shireen Abu Akleh was a Christian.

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Rinzler on May 13, 2022, 01:26:59 PM
Shireen Abu Akleh was a Christian.

That is likely something the Israeli military didn't know. I also don't think it was an accident.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on May 13, 2022, 01:34:36 PM
I also don't think it was an accident.
???
Why? I admit I haven't looked deeply into it, but I know that friendly fire happens when it's people from the same unit who absolutely don't intend to kill each other...
Do you have any reason to suspect it was deliberate other than "it's awfully convenient"?
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

elone

One problem is that news is suppressed. The other eyewitness reporters who were right there say Israeli army shot her deliberately perhaps because they knew the could get away with her murder as it would blow over, it always does for them. Many, many journalists have been shot, like her, wearing flack jackets and a helmet, press in big print.  The most moral army in the world, what a joke! Thugs and murderers.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on May 22, 2022, 05:07:16 AM
???
Why? I admit I haven't looked deeply into it, but I know that friendly fire happens when it's people from the same unit who absolutely don't intend to kill each other...
Do you have any reason to suspect it was deliberate other than "it's awfully convenient"?

From what I have garnered, this reporter was shot in the back of the head, before any gunfire had otherwise been exchanged. This was while she was walking towards a group of Palestinians with other members of the press. The fact that the Israeli government is now dragging its heels in investigating the shooting is also suspect to me.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on May 25, 2022, 10:54:09 AM
From what I have garnered, this reporter was shot in the back of the head, before any gunfire had otherwise been exchanged. This was while she was walking towards a group of Palestinians with other members of the press. The fact that the Israeli government is now dragging its heels in investigating the shooting is also suspect to me.

From what I gather, though, the bolded part is pretty much impossible. Here is what Al Jazeera wrote:
Quote“The last message Shireen Abu Akleh sent to Al Jazeera was via email at 6:13am in which she wrote: ‘Occupation forces storm Jenin and besiege a house in the Jabriyat neighbourhood. On the way there, I will bring you news as soon as the picture becomes clear.’ We and the viewers did not know that this news she sent would be the news of her martyrdom.”
Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/11/al-jazeeras-shireen-abu-akleh
I don't think it's likely that those "storming" and "siege" happened without shooting. So, it's quite likely there have been shots exchanged before the event, possibly before the journalists arrived.

For the record, I'm a journalist as well, I'm obviously outraged when other journalists are killed. But I also happen to know that these things happen - in fact colleagues who have covered wars have told me about coming under artillery fire.
Now what I don't understand is the lack of investigation.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Lama88

Hello everyone, I just arrived on the site a short time ago and I discover the debates.

I have no bias on this subject, or family or other interests.

What amazes me with this conflict is the use of Palestinian civilians by their "allies/friends". Those who were able to take refuge in friendly neighboring countries are parked in ghettos, barely more livable than those in Palestine, because they are not subject to the dormant conflict.

As for those staying put, they are clearly being used for political ends, their suffering instrumentalized for different reasons. The aid provided is put forward, more to show a moral elevation of the one who gives it, than a real will to put an end to the conflict.

In short, I really have the impression of witnessing the sacrifice of a population, for the greater interests of a community. But I don't see the moral in it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Israelis continue to expand, rather than build vertically. I imagine that such a long conflict shatters the best beliefs, letting the worst come out, little by little.

I am not an expert, but rather to preserve buffer zones, making it possible to ease tensions, the Israelis continue to progress, endangering their population and fueling the conflict with new grievances.

I'm in my thirties and I think I'll die before I see real peace there :(

elone

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on May 25, 2022, 10:54:09 AM

They are not only dragging their heels, the military says it will not investigate because they do not feel a crime was committed and an investigation would be detrimental to Israeli society as a whole. The army even claimed to have  the rifle that shot her, but they want the bullet. Great, give the evidence to the killers.

Like I said before, it will blow over, there will be no punishments handed out to the murderers. Apartheid and impunity are a way of life for them.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's