You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 07:28:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Wiki Updates (Announcement)  (Read 24587 times)

Offline VandrenTopic starter

Wiki Updates (Announcement)
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
This probably belongs in "Rules and Announcements", but I can't start threads there, so . . .

Howdy all,

As of last night, a wiki navigation system was set up.  This is something we've been planning since September, but were only recently able to implement.  The idea is to make the wiki easier to browse, navigate (duh), and otherwise easier to use so that, hopefully, it will get more use.

For those who already have pages on the wiki, please check the category listing to be sure that all appropriate categories are attached to your page.

This has included adding the [[Category:Members]] tag to User pages, as well as [[Category:Goddesses]] (and Sirens, IRC Ops, Wikimins, and Mentors), in order to make those pages easier for the average user to find.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, or complaints can be directed to myself.  (Or Moondazed, although I'd rather not volunteer her for that. ;) ).

-Van
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:35:15 AM by Vandren »

Offline Bliss

Re: Wiki Updates (Announcement)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
What's the proper syntax for IRC Ops - does it include a space?

[[Category:IRC Ops]] or [[Category:IRCOps]]?

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
Yep, with the space.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »
This has included adding the [[Category:Members]] tag to User pages, as well as [[Category:Goddesses]] (and Sirens, IRC Ops, Wikimins, and Mentors), in order to make those pages easier for the average user to find.

???

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
Is this a question?  An annoyance?  What?  I can "read" emoticons to some extent, but the telepathy's on the fritz.   :-)

Offline Duchess

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:25 PM »
*giggles*    ::)

lol..ok that was a question but i figur it out already.... ;)

Offline Xillen

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
What's the proper syntax for IRC Ops - does it include a space?

[[Category:IRC Ops]] or [[Category:IRCOps]]?

We have our own category? :o

Offline Bliss

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
Yes! We totally rock.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
Yep.  It was decided (I can't recall by whom, since the discussion took place back in September) that we'd set up categories for all levels of Elliquiy administration in order to make people easier to find on the wiki.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
Just a few things to update:

1) When you create a User page, please remember to insert the [[Category:Members]] tag at the bottom.

2) The same goes for game pages (with appropriate [[Category:Games]] and descriptor categories).

3) A big thanks to Bliss for taking it upon herself to categorize the images on the wiki.  To make that easier (and I know I've been part of the problem too, working on that), please categorize any images uploaded to the wiki, using the system she's devised.  If you can't find an appropriate category, feel free to PM me to suggest one.

Thanks all, for using the wiki.  We've more or less doubled the number of User pages, at least, in the last three months.   ;D

Offline Bliss

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »
Glad to help!

Please note, anybody interested in creating a wiki User page, there is a template you can work from, which is linked on the front page of the wiki - and I'm always glad to help people work through the code (wiki has its own code, different from both HTML and BBcode) to make things work the way you want. In the event that neither I nor Vandren are available for assistance, there's really useful pages with editing and formatting code to be found at:

1. Mediawiki
2. Wikipedia

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
Hi all,

Another update . . . actually a call for assistance.

I'm trying to assist with the image categorization on the wiki.  Unfortunately, there are roughly 1400 uncategorized images on the site.  So . . .

Please check any image you've uploaded to the wiki and be sure it is placed in an appropriate category.  Second, if the image is not really necessary (say it's a copy, an early unused version, or part of the two complete hentai series uploaded), please remove it using the delete tab at the top of the image's page.

Thanks,
-Van

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
How can we check and make sure it's categorized correctly?

I'm trying to cooperate with the wiki but 1) I dislike wikis. I just do. And 2) I'm completely unfamiliar with the code. :)

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Wiki Images Page

The page above has a number of categories (avatars, characters, renders, drawings, settings, memberpics, etc.), just use whatever you think is appropriate. 

The code's pretty simple, just [[Category:_____]] (fill in the blank).  The code can go anywhere on any page.

If you're not sure what the exact spelling or whatnot on a category is, just click on the category and it should show up on the top of the page, ex. underscores replacing spaces and whatnot.

Offline Trieste

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:03:38 PM »
Okay, so if I have an image I uploaded for the photo album, I feel it belongs under the memberpics category. Its link only has Image:Filename on it ... should the link be http://elliquiy.com/wiki/Memberpics:Filename instead?

And is the memberpics section private, or is it publicly accessible unless there is Private: in front of the section name?

And should I split this series of questions off into its own thread? :)

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »
Okay, so if I have an image I uploaded for the photo album, I feel it belongs under the memberpics category. Its link only has Image:Filename on it ... should the link be http://elliquiy.com/wiki/Memberpics:Filename instead?

Nope.  The category won't change the URL of the file.  The category just creates a table of contents, of sorts.

And is the memberpics section private, or is it publicly accessible unless there is Private: in front of the section name?

I think all the Categories are automatically set to private.  I seem to have misplaced the PM from Veks regarding that.  Either way, there are no "Private" tags in Categories.  To the best of my knowledge (admittedly somewhat limited) the code [[Category:Private:____]] would be meaningless.

And should I split this series of questions off into its own thread? :)

I'm fine with questions here.  :)  For the time being at least.

Offline Trieste

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
Woo! Okay, I got it. I didn't realize you had to edit the page on the image to add the [[Category]] code. I thought it had to be placed in the URL somehow. >.>

Thank you, Vandren.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
No problem.

Side note, we're down to 816 uncategorized files.

If new categories are needed, please run them by myself or Bliss first, to be sure a new one is actually necessary.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:08:07 PM by Vandren »

Online Vekseid

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 04:47:26 AM »
Image: and Category: will both be private.

Make a sig image category? >_>

Offline Caeli

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:11 AM »
I thought there was already a sig image category?

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
There's a separate page for sig images, but it's not a category.  I'll have to check with Bliss to see why that's the case.

Offline Bliss

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 06:46:04 AM »
No reason; I just haven't made one yet.

I'll go through the Sig Images gallery today and assign them all to [[Category:SigImages]]

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »
Ok, I won't send a PM then, even if it was just about ready to send . . .  ;)

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
A Warning of Sorts

In the process of categorizing files, I've discovered that the wiki really hates the ampersand - & - in page and file titles.  The system refuses to acknowledge anything once an ampersand comes into the title.  Thus "Lost & Found" becomes simply "Lost ".

So, please just spell out "and" in file/page titles (or skip it entirely).  If you can access an ampersand page, please move it to a non-ampersand title.

I can assist with the latter, if necessary.

Thanks,
-Van

(Only 514 uncategorized files now)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:54:08 AM by Vandren »

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
There have been some questions regarding deleting files on the wiki (specifically finding the delete tab), so, here's a screen shot:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:59:22 PM by Vandren »