Frosthaven - A sandbox, system-free, D&D adventure - Recruiting on Hold

Started by Praxis, April 12, 2020, 12:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praxis

WELCOME TO...

"That which I do not possess, I crave.  That which I cannot claim, I despise.  That which I should not know, I am compelled to learn.  That which I own, I tire of and that which I once called mine, I mourn.  Is it the nature of Man to desire that which we lack; a sense of untamed curiousity and unrestrained greed that drives us to have more than we need and need more than we have?  Is it a curse, that we seek the unknown against all better judgement and heedless of cost?  Or is it merely the darker part of ambition, the supreme cost of our aspirations to become greater than what we are?  I know not...for curiousity is something that I possess in abundance, and thus I care not to look upon it when I can look to newer things..." , from the written musings of Guthwülfe Aråd

17th of Tarsakh, 1504 DR, The Year of the Conquering Queen

Meltwish; a local holiday that is to be celebrated in three days time has nearly everyone excited.  It was a harder winter than usual; cold and the snows were far deeper than anyone would have liked.  It wasn't just a hard winter for the residents of Frosthaven.  It was hard for everyone and every...thing.  The moment The Melt began this year, more and more goblins were being spotted.  They appeared to be more aggressive and organized of late as well.

It's a concern when the recklessness and predictable unpredictability of goblins cannot be relied upon.

Goblins attacking caravans and travellers on The Fork Road have been happening for decades if not centuries.  Goblins using bows and arrows is a new thing however and word has it there's much worse going on in the shadows of the nearby forests and forgotten places in the nearby foothills and mountains.

It's The Melt and people always exaggerate; particularly after being cooped up for so long after a particularly difficult winter.  There's all manner of ridiculous rumours.

A Red Wizard has been seen in the area!

The goblins have begun breeding with orcs from the Many Arrows tribe and that is what is making them so much more aggressive and organized!

Some idiot adventurer is investigating a nearby dragon's lair that has long since been dead but make no mistake, nothing good will come of it!

Something awful is happening at Falcon's Nest!

The Shadovari have secretly invaded the village.  Dark ones walk amongst us!

Whatever was sleeping beneath Grendlehome mountain no longer does!

There appears to be a never ending supply of things to resolve and become embroiled in.  Frosthaven awaits.  What do you do on your turn?

Praxis

Welcome to the Frosthaven recruitment thread!  Thanks for taking the time to click on this thread amidst the abundant selection of recruitment threads here.  let's get a couple things out of the way first.  This game is generally a low to mid-fantasy setting with characters based minimally on a system.  Nothing to worry about if you don't like systems!  From time to time you might have to roll the virtual dice but I'll be doing everything behind the scenes.  Really.  This isn't a system game.  This will be a sandbox type of experience with a liberal amount of guidance from the GM, particularly so when on an adventure/mission/quest. 

This game is set in a loosely followed Forgotten Realms setting. If that means something to you then great.  If it doesn't, that's great too.  You can get comfortable with the content as we go along.  I have provided what seems like a lot.  I assure you that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There's no need to learn all of what I have posted here.  Read some of it.  Or read all of it.  The information is there to help craft the setting maybe motivate or inspire you into making a character.

This follows Dungeons and Dragons loosely.  Once again if that means something to you, great but if not.  It doesn't matter.  I will walk you through everything you need to know.

• This game will be posted in the Exotic | Non-Consensual category.  Exotic because there's plenty of different fantasy-type monsters and races involved.  Non-consensual because from time to time there MIGHT be an incident of rape here and there.  I'm not guaranteeing it will happen to any of the characters or the NPCs involved in the game but you never know.  To be clear, this isn't a "rape game".  I won't be springing a hoard on the characters and be all, "BAM!  Ya raped!"   It is a game where there will be villainous and unsavoury NPCs that may or may not be into such things.  It's a sandbox game and sometimes shit happens. 'Nuff said. 

• Will there be sex in this game? That depends on the players.  Like any sandbox game, sex invariably happens and there will be a thread for that should the writers need it.

• Will there be combat in this game? Most assuredly.  This is sandbox type combat where the GM is deciding the results of your attempts to slice the heads of orcs or scatter goblins ass-over-tea-kettle with bolts of lightning.

• Do I have to make an adventurer-type? For the time being? Yes.  I will need people to write NPCs and will there eventually be opportunities to make a character that exists in Frosthaven and nowhere else?  Yep.

• Can I make more than one character? For the time being? No.  Let's get everyone settled into Frosthaven with their characters and then most likely, yes.

• What's the posting rate? One to two posts per week is fine?  I reserve the right to "move forward" with a scene if it's stalled.  I won't be a bastard about it and punish the character or the writer but we will feel out the situation and play it by ear.

• What's the length of posts? Whatever.  There's a time and place for short posts as there's a time and place for long posts.  I have faith that people will figure it out.

• I went through all the races and I didn't see gnomes!  Where are the gnomes? They're around.  They're very small and unseemly.  Perhaps someone stepped on them? You'll just need to find them.   Hint: You won't find them under approved character sheets.

• Oh gosh! You forgot drow!! Did I?  Oh man...   It's possible the drow are with the gnomes?  There IS a reason drow aren't listed under races.  That will get explained in a later post.

• You forgot Race X that I love to play! I'm putting my boot on the neck of "too much variety" for now.  Let's get the game up to speed and then we can talk about the other races that I left out...deliberately.  There are currently 8 races to pick from.  Most group games have 1 race.  Human.  I'm confident people will work it out.

• What if everyone makes halflings? While it IS one of the signs of the coming apocalypse and confirmation that we are indeed in the darkest timeline.
    For the sake of diversity I'll be limiting how many of each race are in the game so we aren't overloaded.  It really comes down to how many people apply but for the time being, three of each race is the limit.

• Can my character worship an evil god? Nope.

• Can my character be a villain that secretly betrays the other characters? Nope.

• Can my character hate being in Frosthaven and always complain about being there and not want to go out on adventures and generally never want to  make the place better for themselves and the people in Frosthaven? Sure?  But why are you in this game then?

• Can my character die?So there's a saying; "A GM should never kill their players."  I agree with this whole-heartedly.  I would never kill one of the players.  Their characters however are fair game.   ::)    Don't get me wrong.  I'm not there to kill your characters.  In fact the more fun the players have, the more fun I have. Dying usually isn't fun.  I'll figure out what each of you finds fun in time and we can tailor things towards that but don't go into this thinking your characters are covered in "plot-armour".  They're not.  Care about your characters and think about their actions as though your characters are expendable...because they are.

Game Flow

This will be sandbox/open world with a goodly amount of guidance from the GM if things start to slow down or as a way to keep the players/writers engaged.  The players/writers will be writing the story of their characters in relation to what is going on in Frosthaven.  To be clear; there's a good deal planned regarding what is going on behind the scenes.  Currently there are four different plots that have been written in relation to Frosthaven.  The players/writers might discover one of them, all of them or possibly even none of them.  We'll see how it goes. 

Please respect the other writers and their characters.

Please do not god-mod your posts.  If it happens, we will figure it out.  I suspect it wasn't intentional.  We'll talk about that more when combat starts.  :)

Please do not try to win at Dungeons & Dragons.

This is all about the experience and going through it with others.  I'm a firm believer that adversity makes characters more interesting. Expect some hardship.

If a writer disappears and doesn't let us know what's going on after seven calendar days, then I'll take over control of their charactee for a while until/if they come back.  No, I won't be killing the character off.  I'll just try to work them out of the scene as quickly as possible.

The GM/DM
That would be me. (Praxis)   I'll be driving most if not all of the NPCs to start with although as we get comfortable and up to speed I think some of the more engaged players/writers can write some of the NPCs as well.  Please note that I'm not the "I'm the GM and what the GM wants, goes." - type of guy.  It's about everyone enjoying themselves or at least as many people enjoying themselves as possible.  From time to time that might mean someone might not be happy with the results.  We'll talk about it and figure something out.
I am going to fight like hell to keep this game rolling.  I see a lot of group games languishing and I think I have some ideas around what can be done to keep things moving.  We'll see if I know what I'm talking about.   ;)
Overtime, depending on need and engagement we might need a second or third GM.  We'll see what happens but I'm not opposed to it.  In fact I welcome it!

IMPORTANT NOTE
I'm not completely done with all of the information I want to have ready for players BUT I'm pretty close.  Think of this along the lines of Early Access on Steam.  ;D    We can get recruitment started and characters built and by the time everyone is ready to go.  This whole thing will be ready.  Also this is my first group game.  I guarantee I've forgotten some shit.  Please give me a heads up and I'll be happy to address it/fix it.

Helpful links...

Praxis

Character Creation Guidelines

First - my Discord ID is Praxis#7216 .  Add me.  It will expedite character creation but you're fine to shoot me a PM here on E as well.

Please note - In order to make sure your character meshes with the setting and the rest of the other characters.  I'll probably do a bit of hammering and massaging of your concept.  Please don't take offense.  I won't be dickish.  I'm just figuring all of this out as I go along.

First rule - If you're not sure.  Ask.  I'm happy to walk each of you through the process.  I want to make this as pain-free as possible.

Second rule - Your character sheet does NOT have to be a book.  Over the years, character creation on E. has become incredibly cumbersome.  I'm happy if we keep things simple to start and we can add in more and more complex backstories as time goes and the game grows.

Third rule - WHY is your character in Frosthaven and WHY are they going to be there for an extended period of time?  Your character can dislike Frosthaven.  They can dislike the people there.  They can dislike being there. But they are there and will be for quite some time.

Fourth rule - Your character (and you) needs to want to engage with the other players, other characters and NPCs.  Your character doesn't have to be a cheerleader.  Your character can still be gruff, terse, relatively unpleasant, aloof, cold, unassailable, unyielding, stubborn and/or arrogant BUT...you absolutely have to want to engage.  Don't make the other writers come to you.  As the GM I will be trying to engage with all of you (if you need/want it) but you need to show up in this group game and be ready to acknowledge that it is indeed...a group.  Some of you reading this might do so and be confused by this rule.  For those of you that are group game veterans here on E. or people that have played a roleplaying game at a table; yeah.  You people will know what I'm getting at.

Fifth rule  - Please put at least as much time into your character's personality and thought processes as you do what your character looks like.  :) <3

Sixth rule - Please do NOT try to win at Dungeons & Dragons.  Also, while we're at it, it's a good opportunity to also ask you to not try to win at Dungeons & Dragons.  Oh!  I also forgot to ask you to not try to win at Dungeons & Dragons.

Please copy the code below and get started!  You will need to reach out to me at some points to get parts of the build squared away.  :)

[float=right][img height=300]image of character here[/img][/float]
[b]Full Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] Just age - Birthday is fine too.  Check this for details.  https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Calendar_of_Harptos
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b] Where applicable
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]God/Goddess Worshipped:[/b]

[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]General Description:[/b] How does your character dress?  Tatoos, scars, anything that you might like to make known about your character that isn't shown in the picture you have chosen.
[b]Attributes:[/b]
<< Place a total of SEVEN Asterisks "*" (SIX if you're human) next to attributes.  The race you selected will provide guidance around where the asterisks are to be assigned. NOTE - Any race EXCEPT Humans can have as high as FOUR asterisks next to an attribute.  Humans are a maximum of THREE on any given attribute. >>

[list]
[li][b]Strength[/b][/li]
[li][b]Dexterity[/b][/li]
[li][b]Agility[/b][/li]
[li][b]Constitution[/b][/li]
[li][b]Intelligence[/b][/li]
[li][b]Wisdom[/b][/li]
[li][b]Charisma[/b][/li]
[/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Backstory:[/b] This can be incredibly brief.  Do NOT feel like you need to write a tonne of information here.  In fact you can always work your background out with the GM later or as the story develops

[b]Weaponry:[/b] Work this out with the GM
[b]Gear:[/b] Work this out with the GM
[b]Mount:[/b] Where applicable
[b]Familiar/Animal Companion:[/b] Where applicable.

[b]Coins:[/b]
[list]
[li]Platinum[/li]
[li]Gold[/li]
[li]Silver[/li]
[li]Copper[/li]
[/list]

[b]Skills:[/b] Work this out with the GM

[b]Feats:[/b] Work this out with the GM

[b]Abilities:[/b] Work this out with the GM

Attribute Explanations
Please note that having NO asterisks next to an attribute means you're delightfully average.

Strength - Related to a character's physical power.

Dexterity - Related to your hand-eye coordination and fine-motor manipulation skills. Good dexterity helps when using ranged weapons as well as thrown weapons.  It also helps with sleight of hand and pick pocketing as well as dealing with deactivating traps and picking locks.

Agility - Related to how effective, efficient and gracefully someone moves their body.  A character that wants to be difficult to hit wants a high agility.

Constitution - Related to endurance as well as how effective a character is at withstanding poison and other conditions that can affect their body aside from direct damage

Intelligence - Relating to reason, memory and an ability to understand complex concepts

Wisdom - Relating to perception, the understanding and "reading" of people your character encounters as well as being able to successfully navigate difficult situations and stay true to one's own character

Charisma - Relating ONLY to how successful someone is as navigating interpersonal communication.  First impressions and deescalating conflict through conversation.  Convincing people.  In this game charisma has nothing to do with what a character looks like

Helpful links...

Praxis

Please note.  All of what is written is in terms of generalities and averages.  There are always edge cases and outliers.  You want a brawny and sorta dumb elf?  Let's talk about it.  Invariably talk to your GM if you have questions or concerns.

Dragonborn

Dragonborn
Dragonborn are proud, honor-bound draconic humanoids and mostly wander the lands of Faerun as mercenaries and adventurers. They are strong and capable of possessing dragon - like abilities.  The Dragonborn are not natural denizens of Toril (the planet of which Faerun is one of the continents on it) and arrived when a portion of a continent from the planet Abeir was teleported to Toril during the Spellplague.  While the Dragonborn refer to this horseshoe-shaped landmass as Laerakond, the denizens of Faerun refer to it as "Returned Abeir".  Dragonborn consider themselves to be one of the most ancient races, rivalling even the Eladrin and refer to themselves in the common tongue as the "ur-people" which means original or first people.  The desire personal glory much like dragons desire to amass a significantly sized horde.  Of course personal glory can mean many things so take from that what you will. There are roughly ten-thousand Dragonborn living in the Forgotten Realms with the majority of them having been scattered about the realm.  It's altogether possible that if you happen upon a Dragonborn, it is the only Dragonborn you will meet in your lifetime; they are so few in number.

Physical  - Average Height - 6' to 7'6" || Average Weight - 225lbs to 350 lbs || Dragonborn age quickly and then stabilize so that aDragonborn of 3 years is roughly the equivalent of a 10 year old Human child. A Dragonborn of 15 years is considered an adult in terms of physical maturity.  Dragonborn live roughly 80 to 100 years.  Their hands and feet are strong, talon-like claws with three fingers and a thumb on each hand. A dragon- born’s head features a blunt snout, a strong brow, and distinctive frills at the cheek and ear. Behind the brow, a crest of hornlike scales of various lengths resembles thick, ropy hair. Their eyes are shades of red or gold.
A typical dragonborn’s scales can be scarlet, gold, rust, ocher, bronze, or brown. Rarely do an individ- ual’s scales match the hue of a chromatic or metallic dragon, and scale color gives no indication of the type of breath weapon a dragonborn uses. Most dragonborn have very fine scales over most of their body, giving their skin a leathery texture, with regions of larger scales on the forearms, lower legs and feet, shoulders, and thighs.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Strength || 2 star bonus to Charisma || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Dragon Breath - A Dragonborn character can open their mouth with a roar and release the deadly power of their draconic kin in order to engulf their foes. (See GM for more info)
  • Dragonborn Fury - A Dragonborn character taps into strength reserves when badly injured and is capable of becoming a more ferocious fighter during that period.

Initial Languages - Common, Draconic, Arkhosian
Vision - Normal

Eladrin

Eladrin

Called High Elves or Grey Elves by some; the Eladrin might be confused for Elves by those incapable of noting the differences between the two races.  To most, the changes can be subtle but for those educated of the differences, there is very little subtle about the differences between the Eladrin and the Elves.  In fact, the previous description encapsulates the Eladrin. Subtle and yet altogether not.  Long-lived and strongly tied to the Feywild, Eladrin have a detached view of the world. Eladrin often have difficulty believing that events in the world have much importance to them, and they consider courses of action that can last for centuries.

Filled with grace and ancient wisdom, Eladrin can seem almost alien in comparison to the needs and drives of the other, shorter-lived races.  The Eladrin have forgotten about or moved past issues and concerns that the other shorter-lived races have not even learned yet.  Their fey nature also makes them simultaneously alluring and a little frightening. Eladrin take friendships and alliances to heart and can react with swift fury when their friends are endangered. Combined with their intellect, bravery, and magical power, this loyalty makes them powerful and respected allies.  Eladrin live by an aesthetic philosophy common to the Feywild and personified by Corellon Larethion, their god of beauty and primary patron of the fey. Eladrin seek to exemplify grace, skill, and learning in every part of life, from dance and song to swordplay and magic. Their cities are places of stunning beauty that shape and guide their natural surroundings into elegant forms.

Physical  - Average Height - 5'6" to 6'1" || Average Weight - 130lbs to 180lbs || Eladrin age at a rate much as humans do up to the age of maturity (19 or 20).  From there their aging process slows to a crawl and they experience vigor and good health for the majority of their lives until the later half of their third century.  Eladrin will live roughly 300 to 400 years.  Eladrin males have no facial hair and both genders have minimal body hair.  They have the same range of complexions as humans, though they are more often fair than dark. Their straight, fine hair is often white, silver, or pale gold, and they wear it long and loose. Their ears are long and pointed, and their eyes are pearly and opalescent orbs of vibrant blue, violet, or green, lacking pupils.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Dexterity or Agility || 2 star bonus to Intelligence || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Fey Step - An Eladrin; with a single step can vanish from one place and appear in another up to 25' away. (See GM for more info)
  • Cold Iron Vulnerability - Being a fey creature, Eladrin are vulnerable to weapons made of cold steel.
  • Trance - Eladrin never sleep and enter into meditative trances. A four hour trance state is equivalent to the other races receiving six hours of sleep.

Starting languages - Common, Elven, Eladrin
Vision - Low Light

Elves

Elves

Elves are a people of deeply felt but short-lived passions. They are easily moved to delighted laughter, blinding wrath, or mournful tears. They are inclined to impulsive behavior, and members of other races sometimes see elves as flighty or impetuous, but elves do not shirk responsibility or forget commitments. Thanks in part to their long life span, elves sometimes have difficulty taking certain matters as seriously as other races do, but when genuine threats arise, elves are fierce and reliable allies.
Elves revere the natural world. Their connection to their surroundings enables them to perceive much. They never cut living trees, and when they create permanent communities, they do so by carefully growing or weaving arbors, tree houses, and catwalks from living branches. They prefer the primal power of the natural world to the arcane magic their Eladrin cousins employ. Elves love to explore new forests and new lands, and it’s not unusual for individuals or small bands to wander hundreds of miles from their homelands.

Elves are loyal and generally merry with the proper company. They love simple pleasures—dancing, singing, footraces, and contests of balance and skill—and rarely see a reason to tie themselves down to dull or disagreeable tasks. Despite how unpleasant war can be, a threat to their homes, families, or friends can make elves grimly serious and prompt them to take up arms.  Elves are descended from those who lived primarily in THIS world, and they no longer dream of the Feywild. They love the forests and wilds of the world that they have made their home.

Physical  - Average Height - 5'2" to 6'0" (although there are stories of significantly taller elves that appear to be more "in touch" with the primal powers of the forest in which they reside) || Average Weight - 130lbs to 170lbs || Elves age at a rate much as humans do up to the age of maturity (19 or 20).  From there their aging process slows to a crawl and they experience vigor and good health for the majority of their lives right up until the end.  An average elf lives to roughly 200 years. Elves males have no facial hair, both genders have minimal body hair and both again generally prefer a more primitive look for their hair including beads, braids, various leather ties or using coloured muds and plant-based dyes for the entirety of their hair or parts of it.  They have the same range of complexions as humans, tending more toward tan or brown hues. A typical elf’s hair color is dark brown, autumn orange, mossy green, or deep gold. Elves’ ears are long and pointed, and their eyes are vibrant blue, violet, or green.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Dexterity or Agility || 2 star bonus to Wisdom || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Keen Eye & Steady Hand - All elves are naturals with short bows and while more rare; long bows. (See GM for more info)
  • Cold Iron Vulnerability - Being a fey creature, Eladrin are vulnerable to weapons made of cold steel.
  • Elven Agility - Elves are remarkably fleet of foot and are generally unhindered by most sorts of difficult terrain or ground cover.

Starting languages - Common, Elven, Treant
Vision - Low Light

Dwarves

Dwarves
Dwarves share many qualities with the rock they love. They are strong, hardy, and dependable. They value their ancestral traditions, which they preserve through the ages as fiercely as they defend the carved structures of their mountain homes.
Dwarves believe in the importance of clan ties and ancestry. They deeply respect their elders, and they honor long-dead clan founders and ancestral heroes. They place great value on wisdom and the experience of years, and most are polite to elders of any race. No race can bear a grudge better or for longer than a dwarf furthermore it is considered a gift and a mark of deep respect
to stand beside an ally in battle, and a sign of deepest loyalty to shield that ally from enemy attack. Dwarven legends honour many heroes who gave their lives to save their clans or their friends.

Physical  - Average Height - 4'3" to 5'0" || Average Weight - 180lbs to 250lbs || Dwarves reach physical maturity at roughly the same age as humans, they age far more slowly and live to an average age of 175 to 250 years.  Dwarves have the same variety of skin, eye, and hair colors as humans, although dwarf skin is sometimes gray or sandstone red and red hair is more common among them. Male dwarves are often bald and braid their long beards into elaborate patterns. Female dwarves braid their hair to show clan and ancestry.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Constitution || 2 star bonus to Wisdom || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Dwarven Resilience - Dwarves are naturally resistant to toxins, poisons and most alcohol.  They CAN get drunk. They just need a good deal more of it to take affect. (See GM for more info)
  • Broad Shoulders - Dwarves are capable of carrying a heavy load for an extended period of time that most simply could not.
  • No, You Move - Once a dwarf plants their feet, it can be incredibly challenging to move them, shove them or push them over. (See GM for more info)

Starting languages - Common, Dwarven
Vision - Low Light

Halflings

Halflings

Halflings are a small race known for their resource- fulness, quick wits, and steady nerves. They are a nomadic folk who roam waterways and marshlands. No other race travels further or sees more of what happens in the world than Halflings.  Halflings are an affable, warm, and cheerful people. They survive in a world full of larger creatures by avoiding notice or, barring that, avoiding offense. They appear harmless and so have managed to survive for centuries in the shadow of empires and on the edges of wars and political strife.
Halflings are practical and down-to-earth. They concern themselves with basic needs and simple pleasures, harboring few dreams of gold or glory. Adventurers are no more rare among Halflings than among other races, but they usually pursue the adventurer’s life for reasons of community, friendship, wanderlust, or curiosity. Halfling adventurers are brave and faithful companions, relying on stealth and trickery in battle rather than raw might or magic.
Tight-knit Halfling communities are found near the settlements of other races, often along or even on the surface of a body of water. Halflings have never built a kingdom of their own or even held much land. They don’t recognize any sort of royalty or nobility of their own, instead looking to family elders to guide them. This emphasis on family and community has enabled Halflings to maintain their traditional ways for thousands of years, unaffected by the rise and fall of empires.

Physical  - Average Height - 3'0" to 4'0" || Average Weight - 65lbs to 80lbs || A Halfling's lifespan is comparable to that of Humans. They resemble small humans and are proportioned like human adults. Halflings have the same range of complexions as humans, but most halflings have dark hair and eyes. Halfling males don’t have beards, but many have long, full sideburns. Halflings of both genders often wear complicated hairstyles, featuring complex braiding and weaving.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Dexterity or Agility || 2 star bonus to Charisma || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Tymora's Boon - As the chosen of the Goddess of Luck (so any Halfling will tell you), Halflings will find themselves overlooked by their enemies from time to time and find themselves being missed by attacks.  (See GM for more info)
  • Fearless - While capable of being afraid of things, most Halflings benefit from a certain level of fearlessness that would normally impede them from doing things.

Starting languages - Common, Choice of one other language
Vision - Normal

Tieflings

Tieflings

The adage of "The sins of the father being visited upon the son." are never more true than in the case of Tieflings.  A Tiefling's blood is tainted by their diabolical connections, passing to their descendants through all generations. In many ways, they
are human; they can have children with humans, for example, but their offspring are always Tieflings.
Centuries of other races’ distrust and outright hatred have made Tieflings self-reliant and often too willing to live up to the stereotypes imposed on them. As a race without a homeland, Tieflings know that they have to make their own way in the world and that they have to be strong to survive, and they are not quick to trust anyone who claims to be a friend. However, when a Tiefling’s companions demonstrate that they trust him or her, the Tiefling quickly learns to extend the same trust to them. And once a Tiefling gives someone trust and loyalty, the Tiefling is a firm friend and ally for life.  There are few individuals more cunning than a Tiefling for no other reason than that due to the distrust shown to them, the need to survive and be self-reliant is incredibly strong.

Physical  - Average Height - 5'6" to 6'6" || Average Weight - 140lbs to 250lbs || A Tiefling's lifespan is comparable to that of Humans. Tieflings’ appearance testifies to their infernal blood- line. They have large horns; thick, non-prehensile tails that range in length from 4 to 5 feet; sharply pointed teeth; and eyes that are solid orbs of black, red, white, silver, or gold. Their skin color covers the whole human range and also extends to reds, from a ruddy tan to a brick red. Their hair, cascading down from behind their horns, is as likely to be dark blue, red, or purple as more common human colors.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Intelligence || 2 star bonus to Charisma || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Infernal Embrace - Tieflings are generally resistant to fire. (See GM for more info)
  • Infernal Wrath - Tieflings have a keen sense of who might have wronged them and have a greater likelihood of having a singular, vicious strike against an enemy that has previously caused them harm. (See GM for more info)

Vision - Low Light

Half-Elves

Half-Elves

Sturdier than elves and yet more slender than their human counterparts, half-elves are what some feel; a combination of the very best that both races have to offer.  While this may be true what it also leads to are half-elves feeling as though they never really fit in with either race, leaving them isolated and disconnected.  Half-elves rarely settle down for any length of time. Their wanderlust makes them natural adventurers, and they quickly make themselves at home wherever they end up.

Physical  - Average Height - 5'5" to 6'3" || Average Weight - 140lbs to 190lbs || A Half-elf's lifespan is comparable to that of Humans but like their Elven cousins they remain vigorous well into old age. Half-elves have the same range of complexions as humans and elves, and like elves, half-elves often have eye or hair colors not normally found among humans. Male half-elves can grow facial hair, unlike male elves, and often sport thin mustaches, goatees, or short beards. Half-elves’ ears are about the size of human ears, but they are tapered, like the ears of their elven ancestors.

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to Constitution || 2 star bonus to Charisma || 3 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 4 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Dilettante - Half-elves are known for their versatility as well as breadth of knowledge and experience.  A half-elf can choose an ability from any other class and use it from time to time. (Talk to your GM for more information)
  • Dual Heritage - A Half-Elf can select feats, themes and abilities that would normally only be allowed for a human or an elf to take. (See GM for more info)

Starting languages - Common, Elven, Choice of one other language
Vision - Low Light

Humans

Humans

Of all the "civilized" races, humans are most assuredly the most diverse in terms of language, culture and appearance.  Some scholars speculate that it is the relatively short lifespans of the humans that drives them to acquire, expand, conquer and consume in the manner that they do.  They are equal parts admirable and condemnable.

Physical  - Average Height - 5'5" to 6'6" || Average Weight - 135lbs to 275lbs || An average Human lives from 75 to 90 years old with occurrences involving a lengthier lifespan of closer to 100. 

Character Mechanics
2 star bonus to ability score of choice || 4 stars to be distributed amongst the seven attribute(s) with a max of 3 stars on a single attribute

Initial Abilities

• Versatile - A Human character learns one additional starting ability dependent upon their class. (Talk to your GM)
  • Bonus Feat - A Human character earns an additional Feat at first level. (See GM for more info)
  • Bonus Skills - A Human character earns an additional Skill at first level. (See GM for more info)
  • Tenacious - Human characters are just a little more hardy than most of the races be it physical or mental. (with exceptions here and there) (See GM for more info)

Vision - Normal

Praxis

DIVINE

Cleric
|Melee|Ranged|Healing|Support|Control|
- Filled with divine power, clerics blast foes with magical prayers, bolster and heal their companions; ranging from humble servants of the common folk to ruthless and relentless enforcers of evil deities.

Paladin
|Melee|Defender|Support|

- Indomitable warriors who have pledged themselves to what they believe to be is the only and most righteous path. They smite their enemies with their divine belief and bolster their allies with their unwavering zeal.

Avenger
|Melee|Damage|

- In secret temples far from bustling cities and priestly hierarchies, orders of esoteric warriors train their initiates in ancient traditions now forgotten or forbidden by most religious organizations. The champions of these orders are avengers; deadly weapons in the hands of their gods, imbued with divine power and unfettered purpose. In battle, avengers swear to execute divine vengeance, entering a mental state that gives them unerring focus on a single enemy.

Invoker
|Ranged|Damage|Control|

- No other mortal servant of the gods can claim the same kind of power that courses through the veins of invokers. Through rites of investiture, avengers, clerics, and paladins gain the ability to manifest mere echoes of divine power, by uttering careful prayers and channeling divine energy through their holy symbols. The invoker however IS the holy symbol.  They channel their god’s power directly. No mere symbol can contain it, for they speak the words of creation, shaping the universe to their and their god’s will.

Runepriest
|Melee|Support|Healing|

- Isolated in sacred forges and holy libraries; runepriests seek to unlock the secrets of the runes of divine power.  Legend holds that the gods crafted a set of powerful runes, each imbued with a core of divine power to help create the world and give it order. During the long war against the primordials many of these runes were lost. Even the gods only dimly recall the runes of power. Within the forgotten depths of an ancient ruin or the isolated corners of the forbidden planes. Those ancient runes wait to be discovered. A runepriest can learn much in the peaceful hall of a temple, but sooner or later he or she must don their armour and go forth to find or create a new rune, and in so doing earn a name among the masters of runic lore.

MARTIAL

Fighter
|Melee|Defender|

- Trained combatants in melee, they are as diverse as there are combinations of weapons and armour.  They are found on the front lines battling foes toe to toe and doing what they must to protect their allies from harm.

Ranger
|Ranged|Damage|

- Perceptive and watchful warriors who welcome an opportunity to roam past the horizon or sagefuard a region.  Masters of bow and blade, rangers excel at hit-and- run assaults and can quickly and silently eliminate foes. Rangers lay superb ambushes and excel at avoiding danger.

Rogue
|Melee|Damage|

- Rogues are cunning and elusive adversaries. They slip into and out of shadows on a whim, pass anywhere across the field of battle without fear of reprisal, and appear suddenly only to drive home a lethal blade.

Warlord
[/img]
|Melee|Support|

- Warlords stand on the front line issuing commands and bolstering their allies while leading the battle with weapon in hand. The Dwarves of Citadel Adbar have a saying; "Everyone has a plan until an orc punches them in the mouth."    Warlords are the exception that proves their old adage.  A good warlord will know exactly what to do after they get punched in the mouth and a great warlord wouldn't get punched to begin with.

ARCANE

Warlock
|Ranged|Damage|

- Warlocks channel arcane might wrested from primeval entities. They commune with infernal intelligences and fey spirits, scour enemies with potent blasts of eldritch power, and bedevil foes with hexing curses. Armed with esoteric secrets and dangerous lore, warlocks are clever and resourceful foes.

Wizard
|Ranged|Damage|Control|

- Scions of magic and wielders of arcane energies, wizards tap into the true power that permeates the cosmos. Researchers of esoteric rituals; they can bend space and time to their will just as easily as they can incinerate a horde of foes with a roiling, roaring ball of fire.

Bard
[/img]
|Melee|Ranged|Healing|Support|Control|

- Bards are artists first and foremost, and they practice magic just as they practice song, drama, or poetry. They have a clear sense of how people perceive reality, so they master charm magic and some illusions. Sagas of great heroes are part of a bard’s repertoire, and most bards follow the example of many fables and become skilled in a variety of fields. A bard’s artistic ability, knowledge of lore, and arcane might are widely respected, particularly amongst rulers.

Sorceror
|Ranged|Damage|Control|

- The sorcerer is the arcane antithesis of the wizard. Wielding raw, barely contained magical power, sorcerers channel bursts and blasts of arcane energy through their bodies. They gain their power not through rigorous study of esoteric tomes, but by harnessing the magic in their blood, waiting to be tapped and shaped. If a wizard is a physician's scalpel then the sorceror can be a longsword in a drunkard's heavy fist.

Artificer
|Melee|Support|Healing|

- Where sorcerers wield magic because it is who and what they are and warlocks wield the magic gifted to them by their otherworldly patrons.  Wizards contain and wield their arcane energies by poring over ancient tomes and learning how to control it. Artificers take that learning one step further.  Artificers treat magic as though it were a technical skill. They believe magic has a process and is predictable. They see patterns in the arcane energies and use that knowledge to manipulate the flow of magic within and around objects and creatures.  They readily and often channel these energies into objects, creating magical devices for nearly any situation.

Swordmage
|Melee|Defender|Control|

- Warriors who wield ancient magicks in perfect unison with their martial skills.  A swordmage channels their knowledge through the sword they wield enhancing attacks, bolstering defenses and aiding allies.  Their foes must not just contend with the sharpened steel they wield but with arcs of searing fire, dazzling discharges of lightning and deluges of freezing ice.

PRIMAL

Druid
|Melee|Ranged|Support|Control|

- Secretive and enigmatic, druids call the wilderness their home. They are capable of running with a wolf pack, speaking with the most ancient trees, and watching thunderstorms from atop the clouds themselves. They regard challenges as tests, both of their fitness and of their connection with the wild places of the world. And though many druids project an out- ward calm, they have the cunning of the beast and the fury of the storm.

Shaman
|Melee|Ranged|Support|Control|Healing|

- A shaman commands powerful spirit guides, and through them provide guidance and lead their allies. While some rely primitive and unseemly weapons and others make themselves the pawns of deities and other felt entities for the promise of a whisper of power.  A shaman exerts their will through the nature spirit that best represents them.  The shaman and the spirit are one and through that they find power.  These nature spirits bolster their allies’ attacks and offer protection and healing when needed.

Warden
[/img]
|Melee|Defender|Control|

- As mountains stand fast against the buffeting wind and trees bend but do not break in the storm, wardens are stalwart protectors who draw on the primal spirits of nature to defend the natural world from those who would corrupt or destroy it. Some wardens use the power of earth and stone to shield their allies from harm, whereas others summon the primal strength within themselves to increase their ferocity and tenacity.

Seeker
|Ranged|Damage|Control|

- Seekers are primal champions who scour the wilderness in search of those who would defile it. Versed in hunting techniques handed down through the generations. seekers combine thrown weapon and bow techniques with primal evocations. This combination allows seekers great range in which to deliver deadly attacks that confound and hamper their enemies. When a seeker looses a missile, the primal spirits bound to it through ancient evocations are freed; sometimes as a terrifying beast and sometimes as nature's raw destructive potential.

Barbarian
|Melee|Damage|

- Barbarians are savage warriors who deal out powerful blows from their mighty weapons. They charge from foe to foe and seldom feel the pain of an enemy’s strike. For barbarians’ foes, the moments of greatest terror come when barbarians call upon primal forces to lend power to their raging spirits. These rages, although temporary, give a barbarian incredible powers, a combination of skill, willpower, and a legacy of ancient tribal rituals.

PSIONIC

Monk
|Melee|Damage|

- The monk stands equidistant between the material world of the body and the enlightened realm of the mind. Trained in unique and ancient fighting techniques passed down through generations; monks have spent much of their life refining their prowess, usually far from worldly distractions.

Praxis

Skills

Acrobatics
The performing of acrobatic stunts.  Walking along something narrow or unstable.  Taking less damage from falls.  Avoiding grabs or wriggling/squirming free of restraints or a hold.  Acrobatics helps with all of this.

Arcana
Knowledge about magic-related lore as well as magic effects.

Athletics
A broad skill that covers leaping, climbing, swimming as well as escaping from grabs and restraints through sheer power.

Bluff
Of having some skill at making what is false, appear to be true.

Diplomacy
Of having some skill at influencing others with your tact, subtlety and social graces.

Dungeoneering
Of having some skill at navigating underground in dungeons and ancient ruins.  You also have knowledge of recognizing underground hazards as well as foraging underground.

Endurance
Of having some skill at pushing oneself physically for extended periods of time or past normal physical limits.

Heal
Of having some skill at helping others recover from wounds, diseases and debilitating conditions.

History
Of having knowledge related to the history of a specific region or other area of expertise. (See the GM)

Insight
Of having some skill at reading body language, and discerning intent during social interactions.

Intimidate
Of having some skill at influencing others through the use of violence, hostile actions, overt threats and negative consequences.

Knowledge - Specific
Of having knowledge regarding a specific topic of your choice. (See the GM)

Nature
Of having knowledge and skills related to nature, including finding your way through the wilder- ness, recognizing natural hazards, dealing with and identifying natural creatures, and living off the land.

Perception
The ability to notice clues, detect secret doors, spot imminent dangers, find traps, follow tracks, listen for sounds behind a closed door, or locate hidden objects.

Religion
Knowledge about gods, religious traditions and ceremonies, divine effects, holy symbols, and theology.

Stealth
The ability to conceal oneself from enemies, slink past guards, slip away without being noticed, and sneak up on people without being seen or heard.

Streetwise
The knowledge of knowing where to go to find what is needed as well as where not to go when in a city, village, town or settlement.

Thievery
The knowledge of disabling traps, opening locks, picking pockets, and sleight of hand.

Praxis

Abilities Explained

All characters will start with some abilities.  Some will have more than others to start with but it all balances out in one way or another.

There are three kinds of abilities.

Standard, Encounter and Daily

Standard abilities are abilities that you can generally use whenever you want outside of combat (within reason or as situation allows) as well as once every other round/post when IN combat.  These abilities represent standard swings of one's weapon with some manner of class or character specific technique included for good measure.  They can also represent magical effects that don't put any strain on the character or tax their reserves in any way.

Encounter abilities can be used once per combat encounter. (Your GM will make it clear when an encounter begins and concludes)  These are techniques that can only be accomplished under the right circumstances or with an expenditure of energy.  An encounter ability cannot be used in back-to-back encounters.  This means you generally might want to save them for when you absolutely need them, or if you're confident that there is going to be an opportunity to rest 5 to 10 minutes prior to another combat encounter occurring.

Daily abilities can be used once per day, no matter how many combat encounters occur.  These are powerful abilities that are dramatic and wildly effective (when used properly).  A daily ability does not return to the character until they have had 6 straight hours of continual rest.

Once you have settled on your Class.

Talk to your GM about what abilities are available to round out your character.

Praxis

Most of the terms included in this post are not to be classified under common knowledge. In fact most characters and citizens of the realms are unaware of the   This is simply an opportunity to let the writers/players have a better understanding of where there characters live and encounter their adventures.  I'll start from a very high level and drill down.

Toril

Toril - Now called Abeir-Toril following the Spellplague that occurred a little over 120 years ago.  On the planet; Abeir-Toril.  Toril is a planet like any other; similar to Earth in that it has oceans and large landmasses with polar and temperate regions.  During the Spellplague, a large portion of another planet; Abeir was torn from it's home planet and hammered into Toril's oceans.  The continent of Laerakond; called Returned Abeir by some introduced Dragonborn and other new creatures to Toril.  From a planetary scale, this is where your characters reside.

Faerûn

Faerûn - (fay-ROON) - A large continent on the planet, Abeir-Toril. Faerûn means "One Land" in the Eladrin tongue.  The westernmost section of an immensely sized landmass; it is believed that Faerûn is the cradle of Abeir-Toril.  Bordered by the inhospitable Hordelands to the east; the Trackless Sea to the west, Great Sea to the south and the unassailable, snow capped peaks of the Spine of the World to the north, Faerûn offers nearly every type of biome imaginable.  From a continental scale; this is where your characters reside.

Luruar / The Silver Marches

Luruar / The Silver Marches - Named after the now-deceased demi-goddess, Lurue and more commonly known as the Silver Marches.  This land is known for it's three main settlements; Silverymoon, Everlund and Sundabar.  These three cities form the Silver League and take the necessary steps to protect their respective citizens as well as each other.  Dwarven citadels in the area (Adbar and Felbar) have declined being part of the League since the Spellplague, all but closing their gates to everyone.  While safe and friendly within a half-day's ride to any of the three cities in the League, once beyond that realm of control the wilderness takes over.  The land is filled with long forgotten ruins, rugged and long-lasting monster lair and lost shrines to strange beings.  The small villages that do exist do so because citizens have fought long and hard to keep that land.

Enemies of the Silver League include the orcs of the Many Arrows tribe. The Netherese and the Shade Lords to the east in the wasteland of Anauroch.  Gracklstugh and Menzoberranzan from deep beneath the surface as well as a handful of dragons that have carved out their own boundaries in the area and a number of fel creatures that call the Silver Marches their home.

Old Delzoun

Old Delzoun - A region in the Silver Marches that covers the area between Sundabar to Anauroch (West to East) and Nether Mounts to the Ice Mounts and Cold Wood (South to North).  The name for the region is ancient, definitely pre-Spellplague that refers to the old dwarven kingdom of Delzoun.

Frosthaven

Frosthaven - Found on the map posted elsewhere in this thread.  Frosthaven is the primary settlement that the characters and writers will be operating within and outside of.  Weather for Frosthaven is similar to and can be found here ... https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/cochrane?no_alert_redirect=2020-3-31

The Spellplague

The Spellplague - In 1385 DR (Dale Reckoning); The Year of Blue Fire a magical disaster (later dubbed The Spellplague) changed the face of Toril; another planet Abeir as well as the different planes of existence.   Flesh, stone, magic, space and even time were infected and changed by the anomaly.

While it is not common knowledge, most scholars believe that the Spellplague was caused by the murder of the goddess Mystra at the hands of the god, Cyric, which the goddess Shar orchestrated.  This scholarly theory further posits that magic itself was bound and contained for so long within Mystra's Weave, that when she was killed the arcane energies held within spontaneously and ruinously burst it's bonds.  Areas of Wild Magic already separated from the Weave unravelled first but the plague raged on unhindered.  In ever-widening spirals of arcane energy and blue fire, many places were devastated, irrevocably changed while others were literally untouched.  The Spellplague even tore through the realms of demons, devils and gods.  In the first day of the arcane conflagration places were twisted into maddening nightmares or delicate structures of mind-skewing dimension.  Cities were half-melted and physical as well as magical laws of nature were shattered and turned inside out.

The Spellplague ate through stone and earth as easily as it did through flesh. Broad portions of the continent of Faerûn collapsed into the Underdark, draining a large part of the Sea of Fallen Stars into the subterranean Glimmersea far, far below.  This left behind a gigantic pit now commonly known as The Underchasm.  The creation of the Underchasm threw the Old Empire into chaos south of the drained sea into a landscape rife with towering mesas, bottomless ravines and cloud-piercing spires.  Further south the land once known as Halruaa was destroyed in a spectacular arcane holocaust.  It was as though every spell, every magic item in the land had been released simultaneously and ravaged the area.

Most creatures touched by the unleashing of The Spellplague dissolved into glowing, dissipating ash but that was most.  Some living creatures were altered, twisted or fused with other living creatures or even portions of the landscape.  Thankfully most of this mewling, yowling horrors perished in time.  Those that did not have been differentiated into two very broad groups.  The Plaguechanged and The Spellscarred.

Plaguechanged - Plaguechanged creatures are little more than monsters and abominations.  Whatever they happened to be originally they have been driven insane by their Spellplague induced metamorphosis.  Even the least of the Plaguechanged display potent abilities and fortunately most of them stay in the lands that were most changed by the Spellplague and are quite rare.

Spellscarred - A spellscar is generally acquired by coming into contact with plague-ravaged land or a Plaguechanged creature.  Generally.  Certainly not always.  Sometimes a spellscar is an acquired physical abnormality but at times it is an unseen or intangible mark that only appears when the afflicted's power is manifested.  An active spellscar might appear as jagged cracks of bright blue light across the forearms and hands.  Or a corona of cerulean flame.  A blazing blue glyph on the forehead or even wings of dripping cobalt fire.  You know...edgy type shit but more blue.  ;)  The spellscarred can indeed tap into their affliction and use it as a source of power but occurrences of this are rare.  It does not stop some people from travelling to plaguelands in the hopes of gaining a spellscar.  These pilgrimmages are sometimes organized and encouraged by an enigmatic group known as The Order of the Blue Flame.   Make no mistake however; manifesting a spellscar is a great way to be hunted by The Doombringers.  A group of zealots that worship the god, Hoar; the god of vengeance.  The Doombringers believe spell casters (in particular, wizards) are responsible for The Spellplague and they are altogether intolerant of The Spellscarred.  Aside from The Doombringers, manifesting a spellscar is a great way to become a pariah to those around you.

The Underdark

The Underdark – The network of subterranean tunnels, caverns, seas and rivers that spans the entire planet of Abeir-Toril.  Devoid of light but certainly not devoid of life the Underdark is home to a dizzying array of creatures, ranging from civilized yet relentless Drow to scheming, predatory abominations that both haunt and hunt in the darkness.

“There are no shadows in the Underdark. There is no room for imagination in the Underdark. It is a place for alertness, but not aliveness, a place with no room for hopes and dreams.” , found in the journal of Melior Crayn.  Master codifier of the Carfex Expedition.  Assumed lost in their journey to map out the Underdark on , Tarsakh 18th in 1118 DR; The Year of the False Bargain.  The Carfex Expedition left Waterdeep on the 1st of Ches, 1118 DR.  Codifier Crayn’s journal was found in the backpack of a Drow warrior, slain on the surface in 1276 DR; The Year of the Crumbling Keep.

The Shadowfell

The Shadowfell– A dark and gloomy echo of Abeir-Toril is equal parts ancient as well as newly born.  The dark goddess herself; Shar reshaped what was then known as the Plane of Shadow during the years of chaos that followed The Spellplague.  She renamed her creation The Shadowfell, weaving within it’s very land; the energy of death that was collected from the scourge of the Spellplague.

A dim, eerie place filled with a decaying nightmare landscape of dull colours, nearly every feature of the realm seems macabre and threatening.

The Feywild

The Feywild– An echo of the real world, much like the Shadowfell but the Feywild is alien and primal as the Shadowfell is gloomy and treacherous.  A realm of stunning, natural beauty and raw, unfettered magic, it’ landscapes are full of wonder and danger.  There are creatures in the real world that have existed for ages but not in so terrible, pure, alien and optimized a form as those found in the Feywild.  Indescribably beautiful and darkly perilous; to be lured into complacency by the beauty of the land would be a fast-acting and very final mistake.  The Feywild is the birthplace of Eladrin and Elves.

The Calendar of Harptos

There are 12 months in Faerun and they mirror our calendar.  Each month has 30 days with Holy Days (read: holidays for some) listed as well.

Hammer (January)
MidWinter (Holy Day occurring between Hammer 30th and Alturiak 1st)
Alturiak (February)
Ches (March)
The Birthing (Spring Equinox and occurs on the 19th of Ches)
Tarsakh (April)
Wishmelt (Silver Marches Holiday that occurs on Tarsakh 20th)
Greengrass (Holy Day occurring between Tarsakh 30th and Mirtul 1st)
Mirtul (May)
Kythorn (June)
Summertide (Summer Solstice and occurs on the 20th of Kythorn)
Flamerule (July)
Midsummer (Occurs between Flamerule 30th and Eleasis 1st)
Shieldmeet (Occurs the day after Midsummer every 4th year - Next Shieldmeet occurs in 1504)
Eleasis (August)
Eleint (September)
The Fading (Autumnal Equinox and occurs on the 21st of Eleint)
Highharvestide (Holy Day occurring between Eleint 30th and Marpenoth 1st)
Marpenoth (October)
Uktar (November)
Feast of the Moon (Holy Day occurring between Uktar 30th and Nightal 1st)
Nightal (December)
The Drawing Down (Holy Day occurring between Nightal 30th and Hammer 1st)

Holiday of Meltwish

Meltwish - This is definitely a holiday of the people for the people and not particularly weighed down by the pomp, protocol and ceremony of the religions of the realms.  There are a few exceptions however.  Meltwish being a celebration of freedom, rebirth and having the courage to speak from one's heart and giving voice to what one desires; Sune and her clergy are usually more than welcome at Meltwish celebrations.  Sune's exarch, Sharess; the demi-goddess of hedonism and sensual exploration and fulfillment is also a relatively common and welcome addition to the celebration.

It is a two-day celebration with the first day being a day of games, contests, boasting and revelry as well as never ending supply of drink and food from locals and visiting merchants and craftspeople alike.

The second day involves a celebratory exchange of gifts at sunset.  Marking a chance to act upon one's heart's wish or to offer a way to begin conciliatory conversations with another person.  Children are often offered gift simply because it's the holiday expectation.  Furthermore, young people of an eligible age will decorate themselves in green and yellow ribbons or where green and yellow clothing.  They are considered "celebrants" and they spend much of the evening dancing to the music being played starting at sunset.  Celebrants are not to be touched unless they touch someone first.  It is a celebrant's goal to seek out a partner for that evening, or possibly a permanent partner; as it is always up to the celebrant to decide and they shall remain known as a celebrant for the remainder of the year.  There is also still a good deal of feasting and revelry throughout the entirety of the day.

Praxis

Frosthaven is a small, modest point of light in the ever-darkening lands of the Silver Marches that grows more dangerous by the day. 

The village of Frosthaven sits atop a broad hill, it's walls; composed of large, pointed logs surround the village and keeps out most of that which would do harm to the citizens within.  A three day's ride; south by south-west is the city and safety of Sundabar. Three more day's ride west would bring you to the famed Jewel of the North; Silvery Moon.  Roughly a day's ride to the east is the most northern edge of the desert of Anauroch; a wasteland created by fel magicks.

South of Frosthaven waits the Nether Mounts and north of the village by two days ride is the dwarven fortress known as Citadel Adbar.

While Frosthaven could indeed be considered close to and surrounded by allies; the simple truth is that the land is rife with danger. Orcs and kobolds as well as much worse call the land their home and while put in check by the walls that surround the villages and cities of the Silver Marches, outside of those walls things become much different. While a horse certainly makes the trip faster the more foul creatures of the Silver Marches particularly enjoy springing ambushes on riders.  Furthermore; horses are expensive.  A little too expensive for nearly all of the citizens of Frosthaven.

Frosthaven has 997 citizens with an additional population of roughly forty to fifty people living on the five major farms that are close to the village.  The population consists primarily of humans with about a fifth of the population being dwarves.  Outside of that there are a handful of what the locals call "exotics" from a number of different races.

Lady Sareni Moonfire is the relatively thick-headed mayor of Frosthaven.  She has a soft spot for adventurers and is quite literally the current mayor because no one else wanted the responsibility after her parents and two siblings were captured and most likely killed by orcs from the Many Arrows tribe seven years ago.  Despite her penchant for throwing galas and parties that no one really attends or has asked for she has managed to keep the village from burning down or being overrun since taking over the mantle of leadership.

Captain Maeghuen Grimbold commands the Frosthaven Regulars; a core group of twelve soldiers who perform double-duty as guards and law enforcement in the village.  While the title of "Captain" was forced upon Maeghuen by Lady Moonfire and while calling the men and women of the Frosthaven Regulars soldiers errs on the side of overly-generous.  The group are far better trained and far more organized than they ever have been not that Captain Grimbold is in charge.

Outside of the village there are four groups that patrol the lands past Frosthaven's walls.  Referred to as the Wardens, each group is responsible for patrolling, protecting and being able to report on each of the four main compass points.  Each group consists of eight men or women and they are well versed in the surrounding area; particularly so the section of land they're responsible for.  Frosthaven's own Captain Grimbold was once of Warden of no small renown until she returned to the village one day with a small child in her arms.  Her own or so she told it.  From that point on she gave up being a Warden and instead took over leadership of the Frosthaven Regulars.

Most of the homes in Frosthaven are single storied with thatched roofs.

Most residents of Frosthaven have never traveled beyond Sundabar. The majority of villagers are farmers, though the walled heart of Frosthaven employs various craftspeople as well. Wagons occasionally head west down the road through Dead Orc Pass from Frosthaven to find trade with Sundabar, which lies three days away. Any time a wagon comes into Frosthaven, there's a goodly amount of excitement causing the villagers to gather in the Market Square to hear news of the outside world and to buy new and exotic goods.

Frosthaven Locations of Note

1 - Tremalkin's Gate & The Walls

The gates of Frosthaven face east towards the wasteland of Anauroch and not to the west towards Sundabar.  Where some of the residents think that the original builders of the gate and wall just "got it wrong" there are those in Frosthaven that believe the gate faces the way it does because when you're standing on the parapets at the start of the day, it affords an excellent view of the rising sun.  This particularly appeals to the romantics and the worshippers of Amaunator in the village of which there is a handful.  The walls surrounding the village are generally 15' in height, made of bound and supported logs standing on their ends and dug into the frozen ground, with pointed tops.  There is a 5' wide parapet/walkway that stretches the entire length of the top of the wall around the village.  The importance of the wall is rarely overlooked.  It is kept in generally good, to excellent condition despite the wear and tear it is under due to the harsh winters and over-zealous kobolds and orcs.

2 - The Sword & Board

One of the largest buildings in Frosthaven; The Sword & Board is the only inn as well as the busiest tavern in Frosthaven. Owned and operated by Mattrick Lychaeus, an elderly, large, gruff, laconic man that manages to make The Sword & Board succeed despite his challenges with personality.  The man has a keen eye for staff however.  Sando Roughbrook; a halfling is the cook for The Sword & Board and even people from Sundabar will risk the three day trip for a chance to eat his roasts, stews and soups.  Asta and Inga Pern are sisters who handle the visitors to the tavern.  They are smart, attractive, capable women that are equally skilled at sitting on a lap to encourage someone to spend more coin as they are skilled at deftly slipping free of the ones who get a little too grabby.  Running the bar and not afraid to intervene when things get a little too heated is Guggenheim Irnbrau.  A dwarf that is generally more than capable of handling whatever situation the drunken patrons can throw his way...sometimes literally.

3 - The Square

A generous name as it's anything but shaped like a square but it is indeed the main gathering place used by the odd caravan that arrives to sell it's wares as well as being the location where are village-wide celebrations occur.  Where most of the ground is mud or har-packed soil in town, much of The Square is covered in grey and pink-veined marbled stone tiles that came from Citadel Adbar before the dwarves there closed their gates to outsiders.

4 - Lucky Lurue's Stables

Commonly referred to as Lurue's despite some of the more devout in the village taking umbrage with naming a business after a killed goddess.  The stable is mostly used by the Frosthaven Regulars.  They have six horses that are cared for and put up in the stables.  Were it not for the regular coin coming in; Lurue's would be out of business due to the lack of horses in the area.  The care provided for the horses is closer to adequate than exemplary but one takes what one can get when in the frontier. Run by Kren Deverin, a local human whose father used to run Lurue's

5 - Iroth's Ironforge

Owned and operated by a half-elf, Iroth Redcap.  Unusual to find a half-elven smith but no one can question the quality of his work. When in need of weapon or armour smithing, Iroth is definitely the one to speak to.  His prices are reasonable and Iroth is pleasant to deal with.

6 - Garuvar's Tower

Referred to as "the tower" or "Garuvar's" by most of the population in Frosthaven, the fifty feet tall tower is the tallest structure in Frosthaven.  Home of Frosthaven's resident wizard.  Known as Garuvar the Grim to most, the elderly wizard keeps mostly to the confines of his tower.

7 - Necessities

Run by Bairwin Wildarson, the half-elf has traveled the world, or so he claims, before setting up shop in Frosthaven ten years ago. He has a variety of items available for sale, including most things that an unprepared adventurer needs.  He's even known to have found his way into selling some enchanted items from time to time.

8 - The Roost

A walled in, bluff-faced building where Captain Grimbold of the Frosthaven Regulars trains any citizens who wish to earn a few extra silver coins each year by volunteering to provide defence for the village when and where needed.  This is also where the Frosthaven Regulars and the Frosthaven Wardens train.  It's also where Captain Grimbold is most often found.  A dozen trained hawks are housed upon the rooftop under a sturdy but simple shelter.  The hawks are trained and cared for by a slightly unsettled dwarf by the name of Toldo who seems to have an affinity with the birds.  Captain Grimbold uses the hawks as a means to communicate with other locations in the Silver Marches as well as the four respective Warden patrols in the area.

9 - The Tenements

Dubbed the tenements, this is where the majority of people live within Frosthaven.  The families that are less well off or simply work and live within the confines of the village at various businesses and do not farm live in these simple buildings.  The tenements stretch all the way to the western wall.  Some of the larger buildings house multiple families that pay rent to the two or three landlords in the area that own the buildings.

10 - The 'Corn

While some respectfully refer to it as The Temple, most in Frosthaven refer to this large building as The 'Corn.  A play on words acknowledging the 10' tall, carved, wooden statue of the unicorn goddess, Lurue that stands in the middle of the courtyard.  In the last twenty years however, the temple has fallen under the care of Pastoral Rilda. An elderly woman and a priestess of Chauntea. In the last decade a 7' long, 4' high cornucopia was excavated from beneath the Blackclaws ( a range of mountains to the north, nearby )   This cornucopia was brought to Pastoral Rilda and uses the cornucopia as a source for those in need of food.  At any given time of the day, villagers can approach the cornucopia and find enough food for them to fill up on when in need.  While most of the worshippers in Frosthaven worship Chauntea or Tymora, Pastoral Rilda allows and encourages the worship of any and all deities inside the safety of the temple; for those that make a suitable donation.

11 - Moonfire Gate

The wall is much the same as the walls that surround the village.  Watched over by by one of if not both "family guards" of Lady Moonfire, this gate is quite literally always open.  In fact some speculate that Lady Moonfire; every the social one has made it so that the gate simply cannot be closed.  Braga Bonebreaker; a dwarven warrior from Citadel Felbar and Tress Morovan, a human warrior from Neverwinter have been in the employ of the Moonfire family since Lady Moonfire's family was killed by orcs a few years back.

12 - The Hearth

The best kept and best built building in the village; The Hearth is surrounded by 12' high stone walls.  During times of emergency or in times when the weather gets too cold and a meeting must be held, The Hearth is opened.  While certainly not lavish, The Hearth is warm, has blankets and supplies for three hundred people to survive within it's walls for a fortnight.  The doors of The Hearth were designed by a visiting dwarf.  There are two locks in the main doors with Lady Moonfire having one key and Pastoral Rilda having the other.  Both must be inserted and turned at the same time for the doors to open.

13 - Barracks

This military-style barracks is home to Frosthaven’s twelve guards, the Regulars as well as any of Frosthaven's Wardens who might have returned home from patrolling and do not have family to stay with. During the day, only two of the Regulars can be found here; with the other tent on patrol within the village. At night, ten guards sleep here while the two on duty are stationed at Tremalkin's gate. The Regulars act as guards, law enforcement as well as simply "helpers" to the villagers within the walls of Frosthaven.  It's not unusual to see one or two Regular's helping unload wagons or even sweeping the marble tiles of The Square.  Captain Grimbold cannot abide idle hands so she keeps the Regulars busy.  Prior to Captain Grimbold being made Captain of the Regulars, the men and women of the Regulars did not have a particularly sterling reputation.  Things have improved dramatically and quickly the moment she took control.

14 - Moonfire Manor

One of the oldest and most elaborate buildings in Frosthaven. Some of the older villagers insist that Moonfire Manor is the oldest building in Frosthaven and was here even before the village existed.  They say it has ties to the ruins to the north-west of the village and the less said about that place...well...the better. Lady Moonfire, the mayor of Frosthaven has grown up in the manor and is well known for opening her home to the villagers for parties that she has seemingly monthly as well as keeping her doors open to any group of enterprising adventurers that happen to be in the village.

15 - Baubles by Blackclaw

Surya Deepdigger is the dwarven proprietor of this shop.  She has an understanding with the researchers and excavators from the Deepdigger Enclave beneath the Blackclaw Mountains where valuables found there are then sold in her store.  All manner of rare stones, gems and jewelry can be found there as Surya is a skilled jeweler.

16 - The Pond

The Pond is named as such after the proprietor and builder, Goro Pondoron; a dwarf who fancies himself a bit of a genius.  What he has managed to do is tap into geothermal vents deep beneath the village of Frosthaven and has constructed an elaborate series of steam baths both public and private for use.  While Goro handles much of the maintenance and care for the building while the customer side of the business is handled by a stunning wood elf by the name of Tria Katar.  Between Goro and Tria, they have amassed a reputation amongst noble familes of the Silver Marches and it's not unheard of that people make the trip from one of the three cities to experience Goro's baths and Tria's charm.

17 - Font of Knowledge

One part temple and one part library, the Font is a repository for information as well as a temple for Oghman Loremasters.  This building was purchased by the Loremasters only ten years ago when a concerted effort to expand and enhance the research being done inside the Deepdigger Enclave was undertaken.  The building is overseen by Loremaster Kenrog Thamesi.

18 - The Boon of the Ilmatari

More a house of healing than a temple there is a small number of worshippers of Ilmater in the village.  Overseen by Alleviator Daturin Dorn, he is an elderly, patient man always willing to help anyone in need.

19 - Meltwater Brewery

A brewery run by Hrogan Gorrincliff; a dwarf hailing from Everlund.  The brewery is popular enough to warrant an annual caravan to Sundabar and as far as Silverymoon to provide ale for the taverns that request it.

20 - Liandra's Libations

Liandra Alversong runs the second (of two) most busy tavern in Frosthaven.  Liandra's crowd are those that prefer their weapons to not be peace-bound and the crowd tends to be a bit more rough.  Liandra can always be found inside her tavern.  Her staff are a human female, a tiefling female and a half-elf male.  All attractive and the word goes that for the right coin, Liandra and her staff are willing to offer their services by the hour.

Praxis

While there are a large number of gods and goddesses, demi-gods and demi-goddesses as well all manner of lesser divine beings to discover; this list below is a good start based on what the typical character knows.  Within game-terms or amongst "the learned", the list below could be considered classified as Greater Gods.

Ao - The Hidden One

Known only by a few; Ao is the Overgod.  All deities are subject to the governance and oversight of Ao whose sole purpose is to ensure that all deities act in accordance to the pantheon that belongs to them.  It is believed by some that it was only through Ao's divine actions that the Spellplague was eventually stopped and the world returned to normal (relatively).

Amaunator - The Keeper of the Golden Sun

Amaunator is the deity of the sun, the timekeeper of the gods. He causes the sun to burn and sets its course across the sky, giving rise to the celestial clock by which all time is measured.  All who benefit from the accurate keeping of clocks and calendars—such as farmers, merchants, and nomads who follow the seasons—revere Amaunator. He is also favored by those mortals who respect the law and find comfort in predictability.
Amaunatori are rigid and traditional in the worship of their deity, and little variety exists between different sects. His priests, the sunlords, offer their services as judges and administrators. Their most solemn observances are reserved for the day of the summer solstice.

Asmodeus - Supreme Master of the Nine Hells

An ancient deity turned archdevil, the Lord of Nessus longed for untold millennia to reclaim his godhood. The destruction and chaos caused by the Spellplague resulted in Azuth; the lesser god of Spellcasters to be harmed so greatly that he was dying. Ever-watchful and always prepared to push his advantage Asmodeus captured the dying lesser god.  With the assistance of an ancient ritual; Asmodeus was able to capture Azuth's divine essence, killing him in the process.  Asmodeus is now the unquestioned master of the Nine Hells, served by the eight archdevils, armies upon armies of lesser devils, and an ever-growing cadre of mortal worshipers.  Priests who serve Asmodeus, known as the mordai, seek to pervert anyone who succumbs to greed and impatience. His sect observes no holy days; service is expected on a continuous basis.  Asmodeus can be a charismatic and generous deity, quick to reward anyone who is willing to sign away his soul. After death, the damned are enslaved for eternity to their fiendish god's dark designs.

Bane - The Black Lord

The Black Lord is the embodiment of tyranny.  Bane's lust for power doesn't stop at the mystical walls that separate the world from the heartless gray hellscape of Banehold; the dimension where he resides. Bane also seeks lordship over other deities, and he has killed and absorbed the essence and followers of numerous divine beings. He has drawn others into his command, including the goblin deities Maglubiyet and Hruggek and his consort, the twisted goddess Loviatar.
Banite priests are expected to strive constantly for dominance over those around them. No holy days are observed in Bane's name, and the god scorns invocations that are not accompanied by proof of temporal power over others. When a mortal swears fealty to Bane, that service is absolute.

Chauntea - The Great Mother

Chauntea is among the oldest of the deities, having been present at the creation of all things, infusing worlds with the essence of life. She holds sway not so much over the natural world, but over the way in which sentient mortals interact with the world.
The Great Mother is revered by any who depend on the land for their livelihood. A kindly mistress, she ensures healthy harvests to those who treat the tilled earth with the respect she demands.
Chauntean priests pray to the Great Mother at sunset. For her favor, she asks that her faithful spend every effort preserving the natural cycle of growth and harvest. The devoted are divided into two sects: the pastorals, who minister to farmers and villagers, and the true shapers, solitary druids who find truth in the wild lands yet to be tamed.

Corellon - First of the Seldarine

Legends of the epic battles between Corellon (sometimes called Corellon Larethian) and Gruumsh are the most repeated in the history of Toril. During that great struggle, the eladrin were born of Corellon's blood. He is the benevolent ruler of Arvandor and the leader of the Seldarine (“the fellowship of brothers and sisters of the wood”), eldar demi-gods and exarchs who embody the eladrin's proud and ancient traditions.  Though he is a skilled warrior, it is his love of the eladrin and their great works of magic and beauty that inspires Corellon. That inspiration is returned to his people a thousandfold.  Corellon's feywardens are charged with protecting the traditions and works of their race. They turn aside political power, acting as advisors to the kings and queens of the elven realms.  The holiest day for Corellites is Shieldmeet, but every month they gather under the crescent moon to observe Lateu'quor, the Forest Communion of the Crescent Moon, praising their deity with a multitude of beautiful works.

Cyric - Prince of Lies

The mad god of strife and lies, Cyric is chaos incarnate. He is reviled by his fellow deities, who have time and again intervened to stop his destructive flights of fancy. When he murdered Mystra in the Year of Blue Fire (1385 DR), the entire plane of Dweomerheart exploded, and the resulting Spellplague ravaged the cosmos. Tyr, Amaunator, and Sune united to imprison him in his nightmarish playhouse of a plane, the Supreme Throne, where he remains to this day, alone and increasingly insane.
Cyricists, inspired by the lunatic clergy who call themselves strifeleaders, spread chaos, destruction, and insanity wherever they go. Few can understand what vile disease of the mind could bring a mortal to serve such a deity in the first place, but where his worship takes hold, only misery follows. His wild rantings are inscribed in The Cyrinishad, a tome of ever-changing text that drives any who read it hopelessly mad.

Ghaunadaur - That Which Lurks

Ghaunadaur was once worshiped by drow and coexisted with Lolth. Not long after the Spider Queen transformed into a greater god, she arranged for Ghaunadaur's drow followers to forget him.
That Which Lurks, having watched the rest of the drow deities die in their struggle against Lolth, knew enough to slink away into the darkest corner of the cosmos he could find. In the Dismal Caverns, Ghaunadaur's power grew. He has come to rule the lowest forms of sentience: the oozes, slimes, and abominations.
Ghaunadaur revels in the suffering of all forms of life, and in the feel of flesh consumed by acid. He is revered by incredibly ancient creatures, including the terrifying abominations of the Abolethic Sovereignty. His priests are unbound by holy days or scripture, compelled only to destroy and consume in the name of their hateful master.

Gond - The Wonderbringer

Gond is a burly smith with a mighty hammer, forge, and anvil that allow him to craft the stuff of stars. Venerated by humans and gnomes (who know him as Nebelun) alike, Gond transforms ideas into concrete form and inspires mortals to make new things. He cares only for the act of creation, paying little heed to the consequences of letting loose his inventions into the world.  Known as Gondsman; his devout tend to have no end of ideas as well as devices or gizmos readily at hand for whatever situation might arise.

Gruumsh - The One-Eyed God

Gruumsh's influence has flourished in recent decades with the growth of the orc population, and as other humanoids have come under his sway. His recent triumphs include putting the orc pantheon and other minor deities of the savage races under his thumb.
Though Gruumans maintain that their god was born with one eye, the eladrin assert that he lost an eye in combat with Corellon. The two divine powers have fought countless times, and they remain the bitterest of enemies.
Gruumsh is a god of conquest, driving his savage multitudes to expand their power by whatever brutal means they wish. His shamans advise chiefs and warmongers to raid, kill, and conquer.
The last day of Marpenoth, which Gruumans call Gharfek'taaz (“Feast of the Bloodied Stones”), commemorates Gruumsh's ascendancy as the master of Nishrek. On this day, new shamans are ordained in a bloody orgy of torture and sacrifice.

Ilmater - The Enduring One

Gentle and good-spirited, Ilmater is a quiet, even tempered deity who willingly shoulders the burdens and tears of a long-suffering world. Although he is slow to anger, the wrath of The One Who Endures is terrible in the face of extreme cruelty or atrocities. He takes great care to reassure and protect children and young creatures, and he takes exceptional offense at those who would harm them; particularly so the Ilmatari; his faithful.
The most devout ascend to the ranks of Painbearers and are formidable when taking into account their patience, endurance and willingness to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

Kelemvor - The Lord of the Dead

Kelemvor presides over the passage from life to death with a firm hand and a steady grace. He is deeply earnest in his role as the Judge of the Damned, having set himself above the push and pull of law and chaos, good and evil. He takes each soul as it comes, preaching only the natural inevitability of its transition from one world to the next.
Because of Kelemvor's deep respect for both life and death, the undead enrage him. His priests are tireless opponents of the necromantic arts. Families who lose a loved one are comforted by Kelemvor's doomguides, who counsel the bereaved with a gentle understanding and a simple philosophy that with light there must be darkness, with day there must be night, with life there must be death.
Shieldmeet and the Feast of the Moon are set aside as days of remembrance, when doomguides seek the counsel of the dead.

Lolth - Queen of the Demonweb Pits

The Spider Queen sits alone in the Demonweb Pits, presiding over the drow and their manifold schemes and betrayals. She revels in blood, hungers for sacrifice, and toys with worshipers and victims alike. Hers is a cold cruelty born of the blackest pits in the endless Abyss.
Lolth exists on her home plane in the form of seven monstrous spiders and one beautiful drow maiden. She took these forms when, through the force of her own horrific will, she transformed into the greater goddess she is today.
Lolth appears to her worshipers from time to time, but never because she is summoned. Lolth serves no one, and she demands absolute fealty from all drow, though only females can serve her as arachne. Males are considered unclean, if occasionally necessary. Still, if someone turns their back on her, she takes vengeful notice.

Moradin - The All Father | Soul Forger

Moradin forged the dwarven race from gems and precious metals in the furnace at the heart of the world. He imbued them with unflagging courage and a tireless work ethic.  Incapable of compromise, stern and unforgiving; Moradin is a tireless champion of the aforementioned traits as well as all dwarven ideals.  Moradin is unyielding and unflinching even when facing other gods.  Priests of Moradin motivate and inspire their brethren to stand firm against insurmountable odds and that Moradin, Clan and Family are above all else.  Different clans develop their own traditions and holy days but most involve "Holy Water" (what most races would refer to as a stout pint of ale) as well as loud arguments over who is most pious which invariably turns into good-natured fist fights and wrestling.

Oghma - The Binder | The Binder of What is Known

The deity of knowledge is the judge of ideas and innovations, deciding what will be passed down and what will be forgotten. This is a responsibility that Oghma takes seriously, despite his outwardly carefree demeanor.  Oghma thrives on ideas. He cannot abide the stifling of an original thought, no matter what might come of it, good or ill. It is for him to decide if a concept is carried forward from its originator, and he is protective of that power.
When Oghma's Chosen, Grand Patriarch Cullen Kordamant, disappeared more than 120 years ago, his faith was split between two major factions— Procampur's Orthodox Church of Oghma and the Oghmanyte Church in Exile, formerly of Sembia but now Cormyrian. Orthodox priests are known as Lorekeepers; the Oghmanytes call themselves Namers. Both maintain expansive libraries and greedily pursue written texts and oral histories from across Toril.

Selûne - The Moonmaid | Our Lady of Silver | She Who Guides

Together with her sister Shar, Selûne created Abeir from the cosmic ether and assisted Chauntea as she blessed the twin worlds with life. She has infused her spirit into the moon and forever looks down on the world she helped create.  Selûne's influence on Toril is felt in the ebb and flow of the tides and in the comforting silver glow of a moonlit night. She brings light to the darkness, holding back the tide of evil embodied by her shadowy sister.  Mostly female, the Selûnite priests known as Silverstars administer to their flock with patience and compassion, letting all know that "anywhere the full moon shines is the place for Selûne."  Silverstars are particularly interested in combating the dark side of lycanthropy. They wander Toril in search of were-creatures, hoping to aid them in maintaining or regaining control, or destroying those who have allowed their humanity to be overwhelmed by their affliction.

Shar - The Dark Lady | The Nightsinger | Lady of Loss

As old as the cosmos, Shar is one of the twin deities who created the world, bringing order out of Ao's primordial chaos. The balance to her sister's loving grace, Shar resides in the deepest shadows, nurturing the secret hatreds, the unnatural desires, and the lust for revenge that reside in the black corners of the mortal heart.  Her worshippers wield great power over other mortals and have worked their way into the highest governing ranks of countless realms. In the Empire of Netheril, allegiance to Shar, and Shar alone, carries the weight of law.  Her Nightcloaks form their own cells from what scraps of secret lore they can find. Temples of Shar practice devotion to her in wildly varying ways. Often the presence of a temple is revealed only to a small inner circle of lay initiates who are tasked with spreading Shar's whispered dogma in their own way.  There was a time leading up to the Spellplague where Shar was actually becoming more acceptable in terms of who worshipped her.  She was a soothing balm to those suffering loss; usually self-inflicted.  She was sought out for easing pain to those in need by allowing them to forget the wrongs they have done to themselves or others.  There were occurrences of her being openly worshipped in villages and cities and she was becoming more accepted.  Things took a very sharp turn following the Spellplague however and she resorted back to her more ancient inclinations. There is a good deal of speculation in certain learned circles regarding just what happened to Shar leading up to the Spellplague.

Silvanus - The Forest Father

The protector of the wild places, Silvanus is often seen as the deity of angry and vengeful druids who value the life of a tree over the life of a person. In fact, Silvanus teaches his followers to value all life. Still, his influence can be properly interpreted either as a wholesome respect for the natural world, or as a threat to the livelihood of expanding civilizations.  Druids of Silvanus say their prayers at sundown and set aside the days of Greengrass, Midsummer, and Highharvestide for meditation and communion with their deity and his affiliated powers. Seemingly at whim, Silvanus brings the natural world to sentient life, with streams finding their own courses and trees uprooting to walk around. This event, known as the Night the Forest Walks, can be localized or global in effect, entirely dependent on the unknowable desires of the Treefather.  Silvanus teaches his druids to watch from the protection of the woods, not to judge too quickly, and to preserve the balance of life and death, growth and decay.

Sune - The Lady of Love | Firehair | The One

The deity of love takes many forms, including that of Hanali Celanil, long worshiped as a goddess by the eladrin. She is the mistress of all that is beautiful and thrives on the most tender of emotions. Many deities, from Amaunator to Torm, have become smitten with the goddess of love, but she remains aloof (though flirtatious), reserving her love for the mortals who revere her name.  The worship of Sune is prevalent in cities and among the aristocracy, where people have the time to give proper attention to values such as romantic love and the preservation of beauty.  Numbering eight females for every male, Sune's Heartwarders are among the most beautiful humans, eladrin, and half-elves on Toril. Their informal hierarchy is loosely controlled by the most charismatic of the local priestesses. Her temples are monuments to the architectural arts, and her followers are asked to demonstrate love through an unselfish act every day

Tempus - The Foehammer | Lord of Battles

Tempus generally favors both sides in any conflict with equal measure as long as both are sworn to victory. He is the patron of warriors of all stripes;  from the lowliest man-at-arms to the mightiest commander. For Tempus, war is a force of nature that must be respected for its power to remake civilizations.
Hardly a soldier on the face of Toril fails to lift his or her voice in prayer to Tempus on the eve of battle. Given the war-ravaged history of the world, Tempus has gained extraordinary power from such constant and fervent prayer.  His Battleguards counsel generals on the rules of engagement and inspire courage in combatants by blessing their weapons in the name of Tempus. The Tempuran faith is scattered throughout the world, wherever arms are taken up, and his priests come from all walks of life, from the soldiery of the civilized nations to the savage tribes of the frozen North.

Torm - The True | The Loyal Fury

Torm became the master of Celestia after the heroic self-sacrifice of the legendary Tyr (who perished decades ago when defending the upper realms against an overwhelming demonic incursion). He now shines as the beacon of pure law in the cosmos, and stands as the most civilized and civilizing force in the pantheon. Truth, loyalty, and a steadfast devotion to a righteous cause are his gifts to his mortal followers, and he is an inspiration to many of his fellow deities as well.  The Tormish church includes the greatest number of paladins of any religious organization in the world, and his priests, known as holy champions, are accomplished warriors, ready to defend the principles of law and order.  His temples take the form of mighty citadels, their imposing architecture a symbol of Torm's earnest stability in the face of chaos. From these edifices, Tormish priests and paladins are sent out into the world to root out corruption in any form, often imposing their own sets of laws and procedures on nations they feel are too open to lawlessness.  The faithful celebrate two important holy days. The Divine Death (13 Marpenoth) commemorates the day when Torm and Bane destroyed each other during the Time of Troubles; the True Resurrection two days later honors Torm's return to life, while Bane (at least temporarily) still lay dead.

Tymora - The Smiling Lady | Lady Luck

Tymora, the friendly, graceful, and kind deity of good fortune, is impressively popular among the adventurous set. Her dominance over narrow escapes and lucky discoveries makes her the patron of choice to Faerûn's burgeoning adventurer population, who propitiate her in hopes of prolonged survival and spectacular takes.  Aside from adventurers, Tymora is also very popular amongst the less "well-off" of which there is an abundance of in the Realms.  Poor people or at the very least most people that do not benefit from being part of a noble family acknowledge Tymora and "toss" her a few prayers each day when they feel like they could use some luck.   Halfling's firmly believe that Tymora's true form is that of a beautiful, vivacious female halfling.  Having always and primarily worshipped Tymora, halflings believe the grew bored with just being worshipped by halflings and has "pulled a fast one" and tricked the other races into acknowledging her presence and power.  The truly favoured devout amongst her are known as Luckbringers; encouraging any and all they meet to trust to fate and that Tymora has their best interests at heart.  They're also known to take on wildly ridiculous tasks in order to prove they have the support of The Smiling Lady.

Praxis

People/Beings of Note

Alleviator Daturin Dorn
|Human|Male|
Alleviator Dorn is the highest ranking priest at the temple of Ilmater in Frosthaven. Known for having the patience of mountains, Alleviator Dorn takes great lengths to care for the villagers of Frosthaven as well as any who visit the temple.

Asta Pern
|Human|Female|
Asta is one of the barmaids at The Sword & Board inn and tavern.  Attractive, friendly and definitely a draw for the patrons; Asta is an excellent source of entertainment as well as information if you’re willing to part with the right amount of coin.

Bairwin Wildarson
|Half-elf|Male|
Bairwin is the proprietor of the shop called Necessities.  Prone to embellishment and hyperbolics, people not from the area might be put off by his grandstanding and propensity for aggressive salesmanship.  Locals however understand that he does indeed have a good heart and he regularly donates to the Frosthaven Regulars as well as both temples.

Braga Bonebreaker
|Dwarf|Male|
One of the two main guards for  Lady Moonfire; Braga likes to spend his off hours at Liandra’s, availing himself of the services of Liandra and her staff.  The dwarf is known for wielding two cruel-looking falchions and using them as effortlessly as most would wield dinner knives.

Garuvar The Grim
|Human|Male|
Garuvar is without a doubt the oldest person in Frosthaven and also happens to be the only known wizard in the village.  While it has been over a hundred years since the Spellplague there is still a goodly amount of apprehension amongst the general populace when it comes to spellcasters that are not priests.  Garuvar keeps mostly to himself but does venture forth to The Roost from time to time to speak with Captain Grimbold at length. He also spends time (sparingly) at Liandra’s and is fond of drinking wine Liandra brings in from Neverwinter.

Goro Pondoron
|Dwarf|Male|
Goro is the mastermind behind the creation of the steam baths in Frosthaven.  He has a propensity for going shirtless and despite being on the older side of things, even for dwarves, he’s known for his attractiveness and lack of patience.  He goes out of his way to shave his entire body daily.

Guggenheim Irnbrau
|Dwarf|Male|
Guggenheim or “The Goog” by the locals is the grim-faced and dour barkeep and enforcer at The Sword & Board.  If he uses weapons, certainly no one has ever seen him do so but he also makes sure that all weapons follow the peace-bond set on all patrons who pass through the doors of the inn.  The dwarf is quite skilled when it comes to using his fists and wrestling someone to the ground.  In fact the stories go that one time Guggenheim wrestled an ogre to the ground and tore it’s head off of it’s shoulders whilst doing so.

Hrogan Gorrincliff
|Dwarf|Male|
Hrogan hails from Citadel Feldbar but chooses to stay in Frosthaven and feels that Frosthaven is as “busy” as he prefers.  He could make a greater profit if his brewery was in Sundabar or Silverymoon but Hrogan is not a fan of crowds…or people for that matter.

Ineluki Elderbough
|Elf|Male|
An elf hailing from the Vordrorn Forest, Ineluki took it upon himself to actively hinder tree cutters from Frosthaven by laying traps about the area where the Frosthaven residents were working at the edge of the forest.  Through his endeavours, three of the forest workers and woodcutters fell into pits that Ineluki had created and it was only good fortune that prevented them from being badly injured or worse; killed.  Captain Grimbold was able to capture Ineluki with the help of some Frosthaven Wardens.  As punishment Ineluki has been forced into agreeing to protect the village of Frosthaven for three years; a year for each person harmed by his actions.  Honour dictates that he follows this judgement lest he be subjected to a more severe punishment.  He is halfway through his sentence.  Ineluki is ferociously protective of the forests and wildlife in the area; in particular Vordrorn Forest.

Inga Pern
|Human|Female|
The younger sister to Asta; she also works as a barmaid in the Sword & Board.  While just as attractive as her sister, Inga is not quite as outgoing or physical with the patrons of the tavern and Inn.

Iroth Redcap
|Half-Elf|Male|
Iroth is a skilled, focused smith that spends most of his time in his smithy creating.  He had to be asked by Captain Grimbold to cut back on his late night hammering as people found it difficult to sleep.  Iroth is relentless when he’s given an item or weapon to create and stays focused on that item or weapon until it is completed.  He still works most hours of the day but saves the more quiet of tasks for later at night when people are trying to sleep.

Kren Deverin
|Human|Female|
Kren is the hardworking proprietor of the stables in Frosthaven.  She’s very much engaged in the operations of the Frosthaven Regulars with Captain Grimbold and it’s the relatively permanent stabling and care of the Regular’s six horses that keeps her business afloat. 

Liandra Alversong
|Human|Female|
Liandra owns and runs Liandra’s Libations; the second busiest tavern in Frosthaven.  She is a stunning woman, not originally from Frosthaven.  The locals speculate that she’s seen anywhere from thirty to sixty winters but her nebulous age doesn’t appear to make her any less appealing.  The grace she shows is definitely out of place in Frosthaven but nearly everyone in the village thinks highly of Liandra aside from the more conservative villagers.

Loremaster Kenrog Thamesi
|Human|Male|
People in Frosthaven like to speculate that at some point a dwarf was introduced into Loremaster Thamesi’s bloodline due to his lack of height but broad shoulders and physical girth.  Loremaster Thamesi arrived in Frosthaven roughly ten years ago and established his library and a supply caravan to the Deepdigger Enclave to help promote investigation and exploration of Grendlehome, the largest mountain in the Blackclaw Mountain range.

Maeghuen Grimbold
|Human|Female|
The Captain of the Frosthaven Regulars as well as the Wardens.  She is a no-nonsense, ferocious personality that also happens to be an expert shot with a bow.  Skilled at woodcraft as well as observation, she was a lauded Warden and has taken significant steps towards legitimizing the Regulars as well as the Wardens since having been promoted to Captain despite her protests to such.

Mattrick Lychaeus

Tyriol Grimbold
Sareni Moonfire
Toldo
Rilda
Tress Morovan
Troia Trustar
Otar Lucretius Cado
Surya Deepdigger
Tria Katari
Sando Roughbrook
Zedda
Ninarandell Miritar

More details to follow.

Praxis

Locations of Note Outside The Village

Ascore

Anauroch

Blackclaw Mountains

Citadel Adbar

Citadel Felbar

Cold Wood

Dead Orc Pass
A narrow pass, suitable at points for only a single wagon’s width and even then it’s tight.  It is found in a valley between the Rauvin Mountains and the Nether Mounts.  It received it’s name from the historical battles that have occurred between the Tornskull Orc Tribe and the Many-Arrows Orc Tribe; both of which believe the pass belongs to them as well as any “meat” (read: sentient creatures that are not orcs) that passes through it.  Of late; it is the Many-Arrows Tribe that seems to have had the most success of claiming the pass as their own.  Frequent patrols from Sundabar keeps the pass open and relatively functioning but caravans always push hard to get through it as quickly as possible.  Never close both of your eyes in Dead Orc Pass unless you want to make sure you never open them again.

Deadsnows
Prior to the Spellplague; Deadsnows was considered a bit of a rival to Frosthaven.  Where Frosthaven was mostly involved with lumber and huntings, Deadsnows was very much invested in mining.  They had a well-defended and well-developed settled just a day’s ride from Sundabar.  Nestled in the foothills of the western Nether Mounts, it was founded by the Frostpike family who did an excellent job of establishing themselves and helping the village grow.  Despite it’s odd name of Deadsnows, the settlement was poised to grow into something greater when it was officially asked to join the Silver Alliance; making Deadnsows the smallest but newest member of the northern alliance.  Deadsnows did not survive the Spellplague however.  Multiple patrols from Sundabar have been sent to Deadsnows only to never return. Members of the Westwatch wardens from Frosthaven travelled far afield (too far some say) to investigate and did get close enough to the settlement to hear what they described as the faint ringing and tinkling of finely wrought metal bells.  The sound made them uncomfortable and filled them with a sense of dread and they left as quickly as they could.

Everlund

Falcon's Nest
The ruins of an old keep north and west of Frosthaven.  Roughly a day’s travel on foot.  This was once the home of the lord that watched over and ruled Frosthaven, one Regulus “Falcon” Roaringhorn.  Following the Spellplague, a few years afterwards,  the tale goes that something fell happened at Falcon’s Nest.  The man killed his family as well as his servants and retinue only to then proceed to kill himself.  Falcon’s Nest is considered cursed by the citizens of Frosthaven and there’s certainly no reason to go there.  Members of the Northwatch and Westwatch alternate monthly in keeping an eye on the Nest just to ensure nothing untoward is happening there.

Frostpike (Auvandell)(Borgron's) River

This is a cold, clear river that nearly parallels the Fork Road.  Starting in the eastern Nether Mounts and running out of it and west until it finally joins the River Rauvin about a half day’s ride south of Sundabar.  The river is a fast flowing one and is a great source of drinking water in the region.  Humans  refer to the river as the Frostpike, named after a family of renown in the region whereas elves call it the Auvandell and the dwarves; Borgron’s River.

Grendlehome

Ice Mounts

Netheril

Nether Mounts

Newfort
A small, inn almost a day’s ride east from Sundabar on the shore of the Frostpike River, it’s remarkable due to it’s waterwheel and the mill that is attached to the inn. Established by two humans that were once Zhentarim but claim to have left that life behind.

Silverymoon

Sundabar

The Fork
What once was an important landmark in the days of Old Delzoun, the Fork was an important waypoint giving travellers the opportunity to continue east to the small dwarven settlement of Ascore or north to the once thriving and engaged Citadel Adbar.  Now, there is little reason to head north to Citadel Adbar as the dwarves rarely open their gates now.  There is even less reason to travel east since Anauroch having been taken over by the Netherese empire.

The Fork Road
Running mostly west to east, the Fork Road is one of the last remnants of civilization in the wilds of the Silver Marches.  It’s the old stretch of road that leads from the frontier city of Sundabar.  It travels between the Rauvin mountains and the Nether Mounts through the dangerous Dead Orc Pass and is generally considered to be the type of road that you shouldn’t be on unless you’re fully prepared to deal with the consequences of travelling upon it

The Night Wood

Vordrorn Forest
A mostly coniferous forest, consisting of very large, very old growth as well as moss-covered bogs.  Called the Ghostwood by locals; based on their insistence that the forest is haunted.  This may or may not be true.  A number of the woodcutters from Frosthaven insist that they have seen ghosts or wraiths but in fact what they have seen are wood elves from the Fea’Eska Tira clan who live on the outer edge of the forest and take steps to scare the woodcutters away from the forest.  Wardens from Frosthaven have explained that the wood elves live around the perimeter of the forest and not in the centre for a reason.  Perhaps Vordrorn Forest should be left alone for the good of all?

More to come and details to follow.

Praxis

Sample Characters - Actual character sheets to be added later.

Dannilov Ebonhawke - Human Fighter - Not quite finished yet

Full Name:Dannilov Ebonhawke
Race: Human
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Occupation: Greatest Swordsman in all the Realms, Greatest Lover in all the Realms
Class: Fighter
God/Goddess Worshipped: None

Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Blue
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 179 lbs
General Description: Dannilov cuts an excellent profile with a dazzling jawline that some find appealing.  He certainly finds himself appealing...
One might think that a good deal of what makes Dannilov so annoying is that he's not wrong about how handsome he is.  Dannilov has access to fine clothing befitting of his noble birth.  He does not wear such finery as often as he used to since arriving in Frosthaven as he is trying to "blend".  With that said, he still goes to lengths to make sure he is well-groomed and presentable at all times.  Fit but lean, he's not a bulk of layered muscle like some.

Attributes:

• Strength
  • Dexterity
  • Constitution
  • Intelligence
  • Wisdom
  • Charisma

Personality: Confident (perhaps overly so), well-intentioned (at least he thinks so), arrogant (probably), gregarious, insecure (pfft, doubtful), eager to prove his value to...well...the world; in particular attractive females.

Backstory:Dannilov hails from the Duchy of Ebonmarque, far to south of Frosthaven at the western edge of Sembia.  Dannilov arrived in Frosthaven as a guard for a caravan that hailed from Sundabar.  He wields; what he proclaims to be an enchanted blade by the name of Ebonwing that is passed down from eldest son to eldest son and is a source of great power to those of the Ebonhawke line.  When he's not loudly proclaiming that he means to be the greatest swordsman in all the realms, he's insisting that he happens to be the greatest lover in all the realms.  Mostly to the barmaids at The Sword and Board as well as the barmaids at Liandra's...and then any females of really any race that happen to be within the walls of Frosthaven.  Dannilov certainly carries himself as though he were of noble birth and he's relatively insufferable like most nobility which certainly leads to a good deal of speculation regarding why a Sembian (Dannilov is quick to correct that technically he's "Ebonian" or an "Ebonite") is so far north in a village as remote as Frosthaven.  While his proclamations of great skill with a sword are indeed a stretch he isn't complete rubbish with a sword and he is indeed quick to come to the aid of anyone in need of it.  Particularly so if the person in need is female and has a well-formed bottom.

Weaponry: Enchanted(?), elaborately wrought longsword named Ebonwing. The hilt appears to be shaped and decorated like the body of a crow, the pommel being the crow's head with sapphire eyes.  The cross-guard look like the wings of the bird extended.
Gear: Studded leather armour dyed black with polished studs | Backpack, flint, a bedroll of excellent quality, two water skins (one of which is filled with wine)
Mount: None
Familiar/Animal Companion: None

Coins:

• Platinum
  • Gold
  • Silver
  • Copper

Skills: Work this out with the GM

Feats: Work this out with the GM

Abilities: Work this out with the GM

Audun Ironroot - Halfling Fighter

Audun is a giant as far as halflings go.  Coming in at a cloud-scraping 4'4", Audun is indeed large for a halfling.  The Ironroot clan comes from a small well-cared for farm south of Everlund at the edge of the High Forest.  While the Ironroot clan does indeed farm the land, they make their profit by turning their sons and daughters into well-trained, well-equipped mercenaries for hire.  Audun; while not as flashy as some of his cousins, is still as stalwart as they come.  While a halfling in chain mail, a shield and a sword are cause for laughter with most strangers; those that know of the Ironroot legacy know that Audun is definitely someone you want holding the line with you when it matters most.

Ophelia Olvar - Human Warlord

The Olvar family own a profitable farm just north of Frosthaven, Ophelia's father; is a retired paladin of Kelemvor who is rumored to have been a very successful adventurer which was where he made his fortune.  Ophelia is the youngest of five siblings and the only woman.  While her older brothers went with a decidedly non-secular path and followed in the footsteps of their devout father; Ophelia has gone another route.  While it is indeed displeasing to her father; Ophelia has spent much of her youth helping out as well as listening to the owner of The Sword and Board; the local inn and one of the taverns in Frosthaven.  Over the years; the time she has spent helping and listening to the gruff owner has revealed he knows a great deal more than simply running an inn.  Ophelia hopes to make a name for herself beyond that of her father as well as having a life of greater import than simply being a farmer.  She has bright, alert eyes that seems to take in as much as possible and has a swift, agile mind which seemed to catch the notice of Frosthaven's Captain Grimbold who recruited the young woman into the Frosthaven Regulars.

Praxis

So what's the deal with goblins?

I'm a subscriber to the Paizo/Pathfinder concept of goblins because...well...it's more fun?  They are relentless, cantankerous, murderous little shit-bag-mother-fuckers (both literal and figurative at the same time).

Some things to know about goblins in Frosthaven.

• Goblins are generally the same size as halflings. About 3' tall.
  • They have long ears, disproportionately large heads (goblins will insist it's because of their "big brains"), and large mouths filled with a multitude of sharp teeth.
  • They hate dogs so hard.  They can't stand them.  Dogs are seemingly "ALWAYS" unraveling their "best laid plans" with their barking and sticking their clever smellers where they ought not to belong.
  • They are afraid of horses, mostly because horses step on them.  Some of the very best goblins have been stepped on by horses and killed.  Horses are literally the worst!

The next list are what goblins love, specifically in this order from Most Loved at the top and Least Loved at the bottom.

• Lighting things on fire.
  • Stealing anything/everything that isn't nailed down.
  • Lighting dogs on fire
  • Killing dogs
  • Singing about lighting dogs on fire
  • Singing about killing dogs
  • Singing about lighting things on fire
  • Singing
  • Lighting horses on fire
  • Killing horses
  • Killing longshanks (pretty much humans but also anything taller than them)
  • Eating knife-ears. (Elves)
  • Hiding where they don't belong.

Juggtacular

Wolfling72

plants my interest flag in this corner and refuses to move.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Praxis

Quote from: Juggtacular on April 12, 2020, 01:21:15 PM
PM incoming

Roger roger

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 12, 2020, 01:41:22 PM

*Builds walls around your flag and protects it*

TheBlackThrone

A D&D game without a system. These are some rare times indeed, and I like it. I read so far down to the CS. I'm going to continue reading, and once I've come up with a good draft concept, I'll send the idea your way.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: GMT +2
Delays: None.
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings Chapter 3

Dreaming Space

I'm interested.
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Wolfling72

Never mind, I answered it myself...
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Cosima

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 12, 2020, 01:41:22 PM

*Brings you essential snacky snacks!*
Surely not everybody was Kung Fu fighting...
Ons and Offs

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's

Hawkwood

I adore this! I figure I should stop being indecisive long enough to express interest before going back to my beloved Faerun and thinking about what I'd like to offer.

Cosima

Quote from: Wolfling72 on April 12, 2020, 03:07:32 PM
Ahhh you are the best!!

Can't fortify without snacks, I say! *Laughs*

And hello to everyone else as well! I'm looking forward to seeing the characters you all dream up.
Surely not everybody was Kung Fu fighting...
Ons and Offs

Praxis

Amazing.

Thanks for all the interest so far.

I've sent each of you a link to a character planning thread to discuss with each other, ask questions of me and such...