You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

June 05, 2020, 07:55:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Carnival Row - Prime Video  (Read 1016 times)

Offline FrelanceTopic starter

Carnival Row - Prime Video
« on: August 31, 2019, 03:33:29 PM »
I just finished the series and wanted to hear what everyone else thought of the show.

As far as I am concerned I enjoyed the story and the world felt very rich and deep. I am hoping we will get a second season.

Offline Mathim

Re: Carnival Row - Prime Video
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
I just watched the first episode yesterday. I'm interested in finishing the series but I'm watching it with a friend so I have to wait til we're hanging out to be able to continue. The structure and history of the world are as unclear to me so far as were the Lord of the Rings movies so I have no idea what the Pact is or how large the world is or if there are places other than the Burgue and whatever places the Pact has occupied or how the size of each faction's territory is which is a little annoying but I'm fine with learning if they do eventually show it instead of just leaving it vague. I like the costumes, they should get some praise for that. I've never felt Cara Delevigne was attractive, something just doesn't strike my eyes the right way when I see her so I'm not overly excited at her being one of the main characters. I'm really happy that they're doing what appears to be some Cthulhu style mythos in the story, I'm a big Lovecraft fan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:40:12 PM by Mathim »

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
I agree they should get credit for the great costume design and I like that they went with a WWI esthetic since it feels like it fits into the world well and it is not used very often.

Unfortunately, they focus on the Burgue and Carnival Row. There are mentioned of one or two different places but I am hoping in the second season they will expand on the world in more detail.

Overall I am very happy with the show so far.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 11:40:14 PM »
Four episodes in and I'm a little disappointed how the falling out between the two mains played out. I feel like he could have left a message that said "If we both survive this, we'll meet in X location," rather than just having them tell her he was dead. At least then she would have more a motive to flee to a safe place than to stay and get stuck there for the better part of a decade, even if she didn't meet him there because he failed to survive or whatever. Not giving her a destination to shoot for was not the best idea on his part so it could have been thought out better. I get that it was the heat of the moment but he went on to be an inspector, he should have more going on upstairs.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
Putting it that way I agree, it was not the best way for him to cut ties with her and makes his eventual career as an inspector seem much less of a natural fit.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »
It feels quite a bit like a prequel to Bright, without the Orcs or Magic Wands.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
Okay, six episodes down, two more to go, and to my mind there's no way they're going to wrap everything up by then so I'm anticipating a second season (though I'm uncertain what the ratings are and if Amazon will want to expend the resources on it).

Some of the characters just do some inexcusably stupid things for the flimsiest of reasons and somehow don't expect to face the dire consequences that follow. It's hard to like characters who behave in such reckless ways.

Offline Tyrus

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »
Just finished Episode 4. I've enjoyed the series thus far and the production values are spectacular, but by god I think the horrendous writing in this episode crippled the character development.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They literally just threw away Philo's moral code in two stupid scenes. He was never shown as particularly morally flexible, and quite by-the-book actually when it comes to doing the right thing. Then because his stupid love interest decides to join the Black Raven against his advice and gets herself in a life or death situation, he gives up his informant like that? I'd be okay with it if in the scenes that came afterwards he expressed immense regret/conflict/anger towards Vignette for putting him in that situation, but alas, another typical BS "longing" scene with predictable dialogue.

Season 2 has already been confirmed, but honestly, if the last 4 episodes dive like that one did, I'm not sure I'll care.

Offline AlekDelaunay

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:08 AM »
Really? I thought the last few episodes were the best part. I wasn't especially inspired by main characters at any point but their current political system & Spurnrose subplot could make the second season worth watching. Mostly it felt to me as though everything needed a bit more development- the world, the characters, you name it.

Offline Tyrus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
Really? I thought the last few episodes were the best part. I wasn't especially inspired by main characters at any point but their current political system & Spurnrose subplot could make the second season worth watching. Mostly it felt to me as though everything needed a bit more development- the world, the characters, you name it.

I actually enjoyed the final few episodes after my last post. I thought that one mis-step in Episode 4 was an outlier, because they definitely stepped up the intrigue, twists and world-building in their sub-plots by the end of the season. I'm definitely looking forward to the next part. Cara is honestly a great actress, and the couple who play the mis-matched human and ram paramour did an excellent job.