You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

July 23, 2019, 08:27:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What's in the News? 2.0  (Read 17996 times)

Offline ShadowFox89

Re: What's in the News? 2.0
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2019, 11:29:46 PM »
But.. the McCains have a daughter that is from Bangladesh themselves! So it isn't like she has no exposure to parents and kids with different skin tone. I remember watching her speak at her fathers funeral. So clearly Cindy knows.. oh who am I kidding expecting logic from such people.

It's nothing new, look up Andrew Jackson and his adopted kid

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »
It's nothing new, look up Andrew Jackson and his adopted kid

That wouldn't even break the top 10 craziest things Andrew Jackson did. Maybe not even top 20.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »
https://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-side/disturbing-audio-recording-made-inside-an-elementary-school-classroom-in-west-virginia

Content warning!!!!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
A mother put a recording device on her child when the girl refused to go back to school. And what she heard in one day from the special education classroom when playing it back is sickening.

Instructor #1: "This one I could punch her right in her face."

A different instructor in the same class.

Instructor #2: "You got to go pee-pee? Pee-pee? Or do you not have to go pee-pee and you just want to go **** *** in a chair?"

There's more:

Instructor #2: "I'm going to pull your hair until you start crying."

Instructor #3: "Don't throw it. Don't throw. You animal you."

Instructor #2: "Yep. You wench."

Instructor #2: "You're like a pygmy. You're like a pygmy thing."

And it goes on like that. She handed the tape to the school and.. nothing... only when she went to FB with it did things start to happen but..

The Berkeley County Prosecutor's Office found no criminal wrong doing but County Prosecutor Catie Wilkes Delligatti told both mothers in a letter “I am not in any way condoning the verbal treatment of your children by the individuals in the classroom”.

No criminal wrongdoing?? The teachers are on paid administrative leave and the school district is investigating. I.. am at a loss for words

Offline Mechelle

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
In Britain, a proposed law to help prevent female genital mutilation has been blocked, or at least delayed, by controversial Conservative MP Christopher Chope.
Chope has form for this. He says he is trying to ensure that bills are properly discussed rather than passed more or automatically, but he only ever objects to ones which promote women's welfare etc. and never insists that those promoted by his friends are fully debated.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/08/tory-mp-who-blocked-upskirting-bill-halts-fgm-protection-law-christopher-chope

Online legomaster00156

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2019, 03:59:15 PM »
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had a little game revolving around how easy it is to be corrupt under the current legal code.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/8/18216884/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-video-campaign-finance

An official, nonbinding resolution has also been introduced for her Green New Deal, but the rollout was a bit rocky.

https://slate.com/business/2019/02/green-new-deal-faq-ocasio-cortez-rollout-confusion.html

Offline ElvenKitten

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
In Britain, a proposed law to help prevent female genital mutilation has been blocked, or at least delayed, by controversial Conservative MP Christopher Chope.
Chope has form for this. He says he is trying to ensure that bills are properly discussed rather than passed more or automatically, but he only ever objects to ones which promote women's welfare etc. and never insists that those promoted by his friends are fully debated.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/08/tory-mp-who-blocked-upskirting-bill-halts-fgm-protection-law-christopher-chope

This might be a good time to ask why it's just female genital mutilation that's being targeted, not sure what this guys problem is though. I certainly doubt he's an MRA.

Offline Mechelle

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2019, 03:33:17 AM »
This might be a good time to ask why it's just female genital mutilation that's being targeted, not sure what this guys problem is though. I certainly doubt he's an MRA.

I did hear something on the news this morning (before I was properly awake, so I might not have all the details right) about him telling Nimco Ali, who is a strong supporter of the bill, and apparently a victim of FGM herself, that he was objecting to it for anti-racist reasons, as it would focus police attention on those African communities which have practised FGM.

Hmm. I don't think he is known for his anti-racism, and she has called for his deselection. He has also angered many members of his own party, not for the first time, for reinforcing their image as the "nasty party."

Offline Atarn

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »

*Walks outside, screams furiously. Returns inside*
That guy is a severe piece of filth.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pennsylvania-violent-videogame-tax

Pennsylvania lawmakers have put forward a bill that would introduce an additional 10% tax on violent videogames. The money raised by the so-called “sin tax” would go to a fund called the “Digital Protection for School Safety Account,” in an attempt to raise security measures to help prevent school shootings.

Because.. well that will somehow magicly make things better... somehow. Republican state representative Chris Quinn wants to add a 10 dollar tax to all games marked M or AO, he references a study that show that show that violent video games can increase the long and short term aggression. however said study also points out that mental illness, access to firearms and other factors also contribute something which he fails to mention. Ultimately it is going to fail, it is another "see I am doing something about the problem!" thing that some lawmakers want to put out there to avoid talking about a very specific factor in school violence (you know.. firearms).

Jim fucking Sterling son has a good video on this proposed tax.

Offline ShadowFox89

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2019, 12:24:43 PM »
Nothing more than an attempt at censorship. Republicans worship the 2nd amendment but are more than willing to torch the first.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
Pretty much.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
I can't even call it censorship really. Just an attempt to blame anything but the actual cause of the problem.

Offline Yvellakitsune

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2019, 01:30:20 AM »
I can't even call it censorship really. Just an attempt to blame anything but the actual cause of the problem.

Like pretty much all gun control laws fail to actually get at the cause either.  They just punish the people who obey the law already.  Most of the proposals only apply AFTER a law is broken since they cannot be enforced beforehand.  A magazine ban for example, there is no way for law enforcement to proactively enforce that type of law.  It only applies after someone is caught.  Unless you are going to have the police do routine home to home searches on everyone.  Background checks on gun sales/transfers... again only works for people who obey the law and only gets applied after someone violates it.  Basically charges that can be added after a crime is committed. 

Nothing more than an attempt at censorship. Republicans worship the 2nd amendment but are more than willing to torch the first.

First of all, I don't support this tax.  If that is the argument you want to make though, look at the other side of it...

There have been proposals to tax firearms and ammunition with the attempt to make them unaffordable and attempt to backdoor ban them through taxes. Some cities and states already have taxes that are supposedly being done for exactly what this tax is  proposed for.  If it is wrong to tax the First Amendment, then it must be wrong to tax the Second Amendment.  So are you sure that is what you want to argue?  Either way you look at it, it is a limitation (not a ban or censorship) of a right through the use of taxation.   

Also, Pennsylvania is a state that has specific taxes on firearms and is considering more taxes on firearms.  So it would not surprise me if this is also a countermove against those taxes.  Going back to Glyphstone's comment, what is the cause? Some argue the cause is somehow guns themselves and others argue its the propensity of a person to commit violence at all.  Democrats want to "guns" as the cause, this is an attempt (although I feel it is unfounded) to raise taxes on the "propensity to commit violence" side. 

Again, I don't agree with taxation on rights in this manner either way. 

Also, Democrats have their hand on a torch when it comes to the first, it's not just a Republican thing. 

Offline RedRose

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2019, 09:03:06 AM »
Basically impossible to find a normal site… https://www.archynewsy.com/in-the-titles-juden-on-a-bagelstein-i-do-not-think-they-are-yellow-jackets/
picture: https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/crop/810x405+0+70/resize/630x315!/format/jpg/quality/85/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcreatr-uploaded-images%2F2019-02%2F5fc36d20-2cb0-11e9-afdb-2e4b8c72a96c

Basically, people don't know who did it, and whether you need to be blame the ultra right or left or someone pretending to be either of them. For clarity, the gilets jaunes are a very varied crowd ranging from royalist to communist and target minorities from Asian to Jewish to Muslim to Caribbean...

Offline gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Addict
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
Connecticut woman tells her mother she is afraid something bad might happen to her and hints that she is feeling stalked hear her home, but without going into specifics. Shortly after she disappears, and some days later, her dead body has now been found bound and stuffed inside a suitcase beside the highway. :(

This is rather like the opening of a crime movie, but this time it's the real thing. I really hope they find who did this.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/09/us/valerie-reyes-greenwich-dead/index.html

Offline RedRose

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2019, 09:25:16 AM »

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2019, 09:42:32 AM »
There's a book exactly like that  :-\ https://www.babelio.com/livres/Giebel-Juste-une-ombre/343802

Looks like an interesting book. Merci, Rose! :)

Offline lillisa

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
Also, Democrats have their hand on a torch when it comes to the first, it's not just a Republican thing.

This is basically the one part we can agree on, the first amendment just isn't a Republican thing. They'll scream bloody murder when someone wants to silence racists or sexists, but they'll try to censor everyone who tells any inconvenient truth. Whether it's sex education, abortion, the effects of immigration, or even the environment.

I mean no Democratic administration has ever banned people in their employ from using certain words. Both Bush jr and Trump did. Or take North Carolina, which actually forbade any scientist from publishing climate science that included sea level rising.

That is what threatening freedom of speech is. Government prosecution for voicing your opinion, or worse yet, for voicing facts.

Then there is the ultimate strawman: 'Gun control laws only hurt honest people' Sorry, but that just doesn't fly. Actual real life has disproven that. The Netherlands has two things the US doesn't have: Stringent gun control, and affordable (Mental) health care. And guess what, gun crime is nearly nonexistent, and 99% of gun crime (check the stats if you wish) is criminal on criminal. We've had one mass shooting in the last fifty years, and that was because a police officer hadn't followed the background check procedures, so a person with issues got a gun.

And noone is taking my guns. I have four pistols and two hunting rifles, all legal and without hassle. Gun ownership here requires training and certification as well as background checks, but almost anyone can get a gun if they make an effort. But nobody really wants to, mostly because we feel no need.

A beautiful side effect of that, because nobody is armed here, our police looks like this. ,

Not this.

Offline Yvellakitsune

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
lillisa,

On the First Amendment, we both agree both sides do it.  That wasn't my focus though.  Trying to tax things out of existence was. 

You used the old, "my country does it" false equivalency routine.  I am assuming you are from Belgium from the picture.  The USA is not Belgium, Belgium is not the USA.

First of all, the police.  You compare a beat cop to SWAT.  Please don't pretend your country doesn't have these guys in the picture of this article who show up when someone doesn't obey your laws like the group in this story. http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/119467/Belgium-detains-15-in-raid-over-involvement-in-militant-group

We also do not see our federal military backing up our police like this.  I've been to Brussels, and most of Western Europe.  I saw actual troops on the streets, not just your police officer : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-attacks-military-analysis/soldiers-on-europes-streets-dent-natos-defense-edge-idUSKCN1BP1CA

The average police officer in the USA looks more like this day to day: https://www.thoughtco.com/degrees-for-police-officers-3026177  You showed a picture of a SWAT memeber. 

Your country has a different history, culture, standards, and laws.  For example, your military can more freely work with your national police than ours can with our local police.  Many of the roles our local police departments do, your country can pull from the military legally.  We have Posse Comitatus that heavily restricts that. 

As far as your country's laws, where you are restricted in the types of weapons  you can own (since more than firearms are restricted in Belgium) and that you must get government permission to have one (meaning it is not a legal right but a government granted privilege).  Those only apply again when people obey the law, or you wouldn't have to have your police raid those militants in the story above.  Or were those militants obeying your laws?  I don't think so. 

In the USA, groups are trying to take our firearms.  They are a minority.  They are nowhere near organized as the groups like the NRA.  Democrats cannot openly advocate for it because they know it would be political suicide.  You can always find the grabbers' opinion pieces highlighted when the media focuses on the issue, here is the first example I found on a simple search: https://newrepublic.com/article/125498/its-time-ban-guns-yes-them
They are there here in the USA.  I am sure there are several here on Elliquiy who will openly admit to wanting to ban all firearms.  From there they may split on if it is achievable or not.  My focus was on the growing use of trying to tax gun ownership out of existence since bans would never go over over the past couple years.  Like a poll tax.  She won't acknowledge this today, but as First Lady in 1993, Clinton advocated for a $1000 tax on gun purchases with the intent to make gun ownership economically unaffordable.  That is creeping up again with proposals of gun taxes and ammunition taxes now.  But it's not anything new.  It is looking for a backdoor because in the USA, gun ownership is a right.   As I said above, I don't agree with weaponizing taxes against citizens using our rights, be it the First or Second Amendments.   

https://www.atr.org/hillary-1993-lets-double-gun-tax

I don't want to splinter off, so again, I don't agree with weaponizing taxes against rights in either direction. 

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
The Daily Star Sunday has admitted its claims that child murderer Ian Huntley is transgender were never true

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/ian-huntley-transgender-claims-apology-daily-star/

The whole Ian Huntley is trans has been used to hound trans people and to try and stop the plans around self identifying. And it was all a fucking lie. Just made up BS

Offline gaggedLouise

• Champion
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
This is such a weirdly funny news story. Now, if I was working for a blue-lights switchboard team and got a call from someone saying "I went into this outlying abandoned house to smoke some weed, but I just noticed something - you know what, Miss? There's a fully-grown TIGER in there!!", I would think it was a crank call too.But no... :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47210466

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:50 PM »
The Philippines is in the midst of a growing measles crisis, with at least 70 deaths, mainly of children, in the past month.

In January, there were 4,302 reported cases of measles in the country, an increase of 122% on the same period last year. The outbreak has been blamed on a backlash against vaccinations.

The vaccination rate is currently 55% down 15% from last year. 95% is what is needed really for herd immunity to work to prevent the outbreaks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/12/measles-outbreak-in-philippines-kills-70-with-vaccine-fear-mongering-blamed

And it is sad to see measels outbreaks spreading across the world due to stupid fucking anti vaxxers.

Online Lustful Bride

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
So this is where we are at, some kids have to go behind their parents back in order to get readily available medicine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/ohio-teen-defies-mother-and-gets-vaccinated-after-turning-to-strangers-online/ar-BBTvMMp?ocid=spartandhp

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47198426

So it looks like Russia is working to build their own private state Internet, along the similar lines of effort China has been pursuing.

Offline Sara Nilsson

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-record-setting-opportunity-rover-mission-on-mars-comes-to-end

And Opportunity is officially dead. She did way more than we could have imagined. 15 years of exploration. She was designed to last 90 Mars days days. Let that sink in. 90 days, and she lasted 60 times more than that. Was to travel 1000 meters (1100 yards), she finally traveled 45 kilometers (28 miles). The amount of data sent back is staggering, the number of images, rock samples and the discovery of hematite a mineral that forms in water proving the existence of liquid water on Mars long ago.