You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 25, 2021, 01:11:57 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Redemption, Romance and Revenge : Female Seeking Writer  (Read 1395 times)

Offline MelieliTopic starter

• Your Elusive Handmaiden
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • In quiet places, reason abounds.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Redemption, Romance and Revenge : Female Seeking Writer
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:58:00 pm »

Boo!

You are reading Melieli's request thread, which will be eternally a work-in-progress because that's how she works; starts something and never finish it! But I'll definitely keep it updated and relevant. Usually this means adding bits and pieces, stressing about how beautiful and detailed other writers' request pages are, drowning my sorrow in wine, vowing to not care about it and then after sobering up, will add a bit more to my page. So, yeah, I have a very complex creative process, and you can't rush perfection! Here, my treasured readers, you will find a story prompt and an invitation to join me on a narrative adventure.

The story I would like to write will be about an academic and well-liked student who wants to atone for ignoring the widespread bullying at her high school before she graduates. She meets bullied stranger (written by you), and immediately feels compelled to help. It begins with friendly chats in class, then group study sessions and perhaps secret lunch rendezvous away from the prying eyes of others. They are opposites in every way, and yet they are attracted to each other. She finds in the stranger a way to have redemption, and also a rare window to a world she didn't know existed. The stranger can find romance, or just friendship. But together, with a shared hatred for the bullies, they will get revenge on those who deserved punishment.

Possible Characters

Below are a few characters that my character, Ella could meet. These are character guidelines and are by no means fixed personalities. Feel free to browse through the roles I would like to include in my story and edit them to fit your idea and inspiration.

The Geek
Inspired by characters from Stranger Things

The Geek had a rather enjoyable life outside of school. His close friends gathered at his house every Friday night to play Magic / DnD / Games. He worked part-time at the local comics and hobbies store and loved every minute of it. The Geek even had a car, a rusty tin-can way past its prime, but working nevertheless. He had everything that he would ever need. Everything, except being invisible.

He was always targeted by those stronger, faster and less intelligent than him. The Geek could never figure out why he was chosen to be bullied. Perhaps, he just rolled double snake eyes on life, unlucky to the core and forced to face the monsters of his high school alone. Or, perhaps it was because he actually tried to stand up to them, which gave them a challenge. For the Geek, there was never a choice when it came to protecting those in need. A Paladin should never falter in the face of evil, even if he knows he would never win.

A refuge he had at school was Mathematics Extension. The bullies could never pass the intelligence check needed to enrol in the class, meaning the Geek was safe from their attacks. Physically safe, but not completely. That girl, Ella. She was one of them. A lieutenant who guarded the sadistic overlords of his school. Or that's how he imagined it. She was friends with his enemies, which meant she was against him as well. Ella was in his class. She was quiet and unassuming, no doubt pretending to be a model student in class so she could spy on his movements. He never spoke to her, and neither did she try to talk to him. So why did she sit next to him today? Did she want to make sure that the black eye he received from her friends stayed on his face? Of course it did. He wasn't a half-troll, he didn't have quickened regeneration.

The Geek was just a scrawny, weak, pathetic human.

Themes: Romantic Relationship. Unlikely Friendship, Personal Struggles, Adventure.

The Sunflower
Inspired by characters from Sierra Burgess is a Loser

The Sunflower was a smart but unpopular girl who aspired to get into a respectable University. She did not fit the traditional standard of physical beauty, but she had a personality full of wit and charm. Popular mean girls frequently attempted to make The Sunflower's life miserable, showering her with cruel taunts and comments, especially regarding her appearance, which she often effortlessly and wittily sidestepped. When words turned physical, Ella decided to befriend the Sunflower, no longer able to accept the despicable actions of her friends and feeling compelled to protect her

Themes: Friendship, Personal Struggle, Character Development, F/F Relationship (Optional)

The Poet
Inspired by characters from Thirteen Reasons Why

The Poet, a gentle soul drowning in a sea of sorrow. Ridiculed and shamed until he / she had abandoned all hope, he / she turned to the unthinkable, a final attempt to escape the pain. If only someone could intervene, reach out and pull him / her out of the depths of his / her personal hell before it was too late.

Themes (Darker) : Emotional Trauma & Healing, Revenge, Non-Consensual, Coercion, Blackmail.

What Will Melieli Provide

• Character Development - When I write, I like to focus on the inner thoughts of my characters. In many of my stories, I explore the reasoning behind characters' actions because personally, I feel that people always do things for a reason. Whether one is conscious or unconscious of it, we always have a motivation behind everything we do. I also like to develop characters through interactions with other characters.

• Detailed Posts - At times, my posts can rather extensive in length. Other times they may be short. I don't like length requirements because I don't normally obey them myself. If the story requires quick responses between characters, then my posts will be short. If I feel like there needs to be more information to build a scene, then I will write more. However, I do expect a degree of detail from writers. It's rather demoralising when I spend hours writing a well-crafted post only to receive a mediocre effort in response.
  • Multiple Characters - I do not expect this from a partner, but I often incorporate minor characters to help construct a detailed perspective of the plot. Usually it's for the benefit of the readers so they can understand the story better, but I also feel that including other characters' perspectives divide the stress of explaining everything using one character. For example, I may write a person observing my character's personality in a way she couldn't just directly tell YC. I feel this is a much more natural way for exposition than having MC announce her likes to YC like they're speed dating!

• Posting Frequency - I work full-time, 9-10 hours a day. Then I go home and cook, clean and pay my bills (I have so much in common with all of you!). When I'm done with everything, I'm either too tired to write, or too insecure about my writing quality to post. I do try to write something every 2-3 days. If I disappear, feel free to message me. I'm probably hiding in my Palace of Procrastination, trying to avoid responsibilities. Please don't hesitate to pinch, nudge or yell at me to get back to work (my mother approves; she's been doing it my whole life).

What Melieli wants

A literate writer who is willing to bring this narrative story to life with me. I am looking for someone who is dedicated to detail, not just for the sake of length, but for the purpose of developing the characters, their aspirations, challenges and their unique world.

Story

A high school junior / senior abandons her friends and social status to help a bullied student at school. She invites herself into his world, learning about him, keeping him company and guarding him from his own, self-destructive thoughts. Eventually, they develop a friendship, one they both didn’t expect.

As the bullies continue to torment the school, the junior / senior becomes adamant to protect her new friend from any physical and psychological harm, even if it means betraying her old friends.

Prologue
She hated complicated orders.

Ella's green eyes were focused and serious. Her hands rushed about the steaming coffee machine without a moment's rest. Normally it would take her two minutes and thirty seconds to make a cappuccino frappe. But this man, this regular with the undersized yellow polo and over-sized beer gut would always order extra. Extra crème, extra syrup, extra everything. The man was a walking warning sign for diabetes, but not like he cared. All he cared about was getting his processed sugar in a cup and stare at Ella while she made his drink.

She hated people who stared, absolutely despised them.

Sometimes, Ella wondered if the man made complicated orders just to give himself some time to ogle her. The sheer horror of that revelation was enough to make her wince. It made Ella hate the yellow polo shirt man even more. Maybe she could slip in a teaspoon of salt when he wasn’t watching. She could get fired, and then she would lose her chance of a good reference from the manager.

Ella stabbed the mountain of crème with a straw and placed the completed cappuccino frappe inside a cardboard cup holder. The eighteen year old continued to indulge the idea of being fired and smirked to herself. It wasn’t like she needed the money. Her father was a corporate lawyer and her mother was a cardiothoracic surgeon. They provided everything a family needed; a luxurious house within an affluent suburb and more than enough money to live in comfort. They even had a golden retriever just to complete the perfect image of an upper-class suburban family.

She handed the drink to the man with a forced smile and withdrew into her own thoughts again. With mom and dad busy with work all the time, Ella was mostly left alone. Dinner most nights were kept in tupperware containers in the fridge and later heated in the microwave. Of course Ella could order takeaway, but she preferred to eat her mom’s cooking. Somehow it made her feel like she still had a family.

Ella stretched her arms and glanced around. It was a bright and sunny Thursday afternoon. The small coffee shop she was slaving in was just a few blocks from her high school. The place was bustling with people. Some came to meet with friends, others opted to sit alone and enjoy their caffeinated beverages while they tapped away on laptops. The sound of jovial conversations roared in the background as Ella wiped a gleam of sweat from her brow. It was either this chaos or return to an empty home and watch Netflix and Youtube videos alone. Binge-watching trashy shows was such a waste of her precious youth.

A soft vibration snapped Ella’s mind to attention. She reached into the back pocket of her shorts and pulled out an iPhone 7. It was wrapped in a plastic case with bright stripes of summer colours. The screen flashed with a message from her mother.

--Hey hun, urgent operation at work. Sorry, won’t be back till later tonight.  Have the leftover Bolognese? Or use the credit card. Dad will be home from Hong Kong next Friday and I promise we’ll do something together, just the family :) --

Ella stared at the message and played with her natural blonde locks. Normally she would let her hair curtain past her shoulders. Now it was tied into a messy ponytail, with wild strands framing her face. Ella wanted to reply back to her mom and inform her that the bolognese was made on Monday, and today was Thursday. Maybe she could pull out some passive aggressiveness and say she would gladly eat the four-days-old expired poison on a plate and visit her mother at the hospital as a patient. There were so many ways to unleash her teenage frustrations.

But instead, Ella replied with a curt message of “Okay, see you later...” and returned to work. Getting angry at her parents for coming home late was becoming old and repetitive. She learned to be independent years ago. Now that she had a car, Ella was practically an adult. She could do anything, go anywhere and no one would care. It was a liberating thought, but also a lonely one.

"Welcome to Bean Break, can I take your order?" Ella asked with a smile that beamed with youthful energy when a new customer reached the marble counter. She knew how to make customers happy. Talk to them, make helpful suggestions but not too much chit chat. The customers liked to be treated like royalty, but they also needed space.

The afternoon rolled on with people rushing in and out of the small cafe. By dusk, the flow of customers began to slow down. A few older regulars sat and talked away while Ella and a few of her coworkers began to scrub down the kitchen.

The doorbell chimed, and then again. It did so a few times before returning to a resting silence. There was a roar and a cheer of Ella’s name. The call made the blonde barista twitch and frown. She did not want to deal with this so close to closing.

“Ella! Did you max out daddy’s credit card again? Is that why you’re making coffee for me?” A beautiful, curvaceous girl with caramel-coloured hair bellowed from across the cafe.

Ella pretended to ignore the advancing crowd of five until they reached the counter. She leaned over the counter, wiping the surface with a damp cloth and pushing away invading elbows and hands.

“You know I don’t do that,” Ella corrected with a bored tone. “And what makes you think I’m going to make you coffee?”

“Because, babe, you adore me!” The voice returned sweetly.

Ella sighed and glanced up. She could recognise that voice from anywhere. Bethany Harper, the undisputed queen of Eastlake High. Beautiful, charming and deviously cunning. If Ella didn’t know better, she would have guessed that Bethany was genetically engineered at birth by a group of Hollywood executives after they brainstormed on how to create the archetypal popular high-school cheerleader. Thankfully, Bethany wasn’t some robot. Her parents and Ella’s parents were on the community watch together. Their families had barbeques in summer and Bethany has been Ella’s friend since second grade.

“We’re closing.” Ella pressed, scrubbing the counter a little fast as a hint.

“C’mon Ella, I just want something sweet.”

“Are you going to pay?”

“I thought you could cover for me.”

“Not a chance.”

“Please!” Bethany balanced on the counter with her hands, like a gymnast ready to saddle onto a beam. She swayed back and forth, a saddened pout on her face. “Just one salted caramel frappe and I’ll be out of your hair, for a while.”

Ella stared at her friend. When she couldn’t keep a straight face any longer, she giggled and shook her head. “Fine, just don’t have a tantrum.”

Bethany hopped back onto the floor and cheered in triumph. She had always been the leader, the initiator, the go-getter. Whatever she wanted, she received. She could have any guy in the school, or make anyone like her. That is, unless she wanted you to feel miserable, and if that was the case, your life was hell until you graduated. Ella walked to the coffee machine and busied herself. She tiptoed over the machine and saw Bethany sitting with a group of boys near the store window. The usual suspects. Bethany the cheerleader captain, Jack the quarterback, Marcus the basketball star and two of his lackeys, Brandon and Bryce? Ella couldn’t remember their names. She just knew that the one with freckles would always try to hug all the cheerleaders after a big win. Freckles, you’re drenched in your own sweat and the sweat of whoever you’ve been marking. You smell like a gym’s laundry basket. No one wants to hug you, especially not Ella.

Ella walked to the table with the salted caramel frappe in hand. Her dark green apron was tied around her waist. She placed the drink on the table and was immediately greeted with raised hands from the boys, all realising at that moment they were thirsty as well.

“Oh no,” Ella warned, shaking her head. “I’m not doing anymore freebies. Bethany, get them out of here.”

The boys turned to look at Bethany, who merely shrugged her shoulders in defeat. Picking up her drink, she stood up and embraced Ella. “You’re the best! See you tomorrow, babe.” Her voice was sweet and sincere. The group headed for the door. Brandon paused on his way out and turned to Ella. He had noticed the barista was indeed susceptible to hugs, and decided to extend his own arms for a bit of intimacy.

Ella glared daggers at him and turned away, “Don’t even think about it, Freckles.”

By the time the shop was closed and locked down, it was nearly eight. Ella hopped into her Mini Cooper, a birthday gift from dad on her sixteenth and sped down the empty streets. She wasn’t really looking forward to a night of expired bolognese and Netflix, but wandering alone at night was how you end up in a real-life slasher flick. Even though Ella was quite certain that she would be the smart and level-headed one who survived at the end, she wasn’t going to try her luck.

She could find out where Bethany was and hang out with her. But knowing Bethany, she was probably drinking or up to no good, on a Thursday too! Some time away from Bethany’s vivacious antics would certainly be a good change.

Ella sighed and drove home. She ordered bolognese from a local Italian restaurant and watched Suits. Was this her life? Either party and run wild with her best friend, or stay at home and be a loner with a screen glued to her face. At that moment, slouched on the couch with her laptop on her legs, Ella thought of her parents. She really wished there were other ways to make them rush home other than forcing them to growl her after getting in trouble with Bethany. She wanted to return home every day after school and see her parents, not tupperware meals and a cold, abandoned home. Suddenly the show on her screen wasn’t interesting anymore.

Friday was always busy for Ella. In the morning she had mathematic extension for an hour after the bell, followed by a string of study intensive subjects. After school she had volleyball and cheerleading training. Luckily she didn’t have shifts at the coffee shop on Fridays. The last thing she wanted to do at the end of a week was to make coffee with no energy while getting paid at minimum wage.

Ella walked down the crowded corridor of her high school. It was lunch, and everyone was rushing to the cafeteria. Free Fries Fridays. What a stupid idea. As soon you tell people something is free, they go crazy. Even if it was just French Fries.

She was wearing black skinny-jeans, white Keds with grey ankle socks and the high-school’s maroon hoodie reserved for sport representatives. Her surname Fletcher was embroidered at the back of the hoodie along with a large “10” and the words “Volleyball”. She had her school bag on her back. A pink and white striped Country Road sports bag bounced against her right thigh, it’s thick strap slung across her chest and pulling against her left shoulder. In her arms she cradled a stack of textbooks. There was a lot to carry, and it made her normally agile self rather clumsy. She could easily become a pinball with everyone pushing and shoving each other in the corridor. But no one dared to touch her. They gave her room to walk, streaming around her like water against a boulder.

Ella Fletcher. Senior. Girls Volleyball Ace, cheerleader, A grade student and the best friend of Bethany Harper. She had a reputation, not that she wanted it or cared for it. People thought if they wanted to get on Bethany’s good side, they needed to get on Ella’s good side. So they grease up to her, with fake compliments and grand praises. It was kind of annoying actually. As much as she cherished Bethany, Ella wasn’t her, she didn’t like the limelight. She only played the pranks because it was easier to follow the crowd. She partied because it was her place they always used; her parents were always absent and she had a great house. Granted, she had fun with Bethany’s friends. But that wasn’t who she was. She was the sensible one, the designated driver, the one who cleaned up the damned mess after the party was over. Maybe it was her hardworking parents and their influence that was the cause, but Ella actually wanted to get something out of her life, something meaningful, something she could be proud to reminisce about when she’s older. Playing pranks and ruling high school like monarchs wasn’t something she was going to be sharing after she left.

Ella would never admit it, but Bethany was a bully. It happens rather naturally when you’re idolised since birth and live without consequences. Bethany was beautiful, so she manipulated boys and ostracised girls. She was charming, so she made all the teachers turn a blind eye when anything tried to slander her image of the perfect girl. Her mind was as sharp as a whip and as deadly as a blade. Those who were lucky enough to be graced by Bethany’s kindness showered her with admiration. But sometimes Ella wondered if people only did it out of fear. It was better to be with Bethany than be against her.

Many lived under the oppression of the Harper dynasty. It was easy to tell who disliked Bethany because they would scatter away the moment they saw her. With Bethany’s regiment of jocks as guards and enforcers, no one dared to challenge the queen.

What did that make Ella, Bethany’s advisor? Second-in-Command? Court wizard? Did she really want to be associated with Bethany? Early this year Ella tried to join the chess club. She was curious, and her father played chess with a friend. Ella wanted to be closer to her father, so she signed herself up. The moment she walked into the club room, everyone was quiet. No one spoke to her, some didn’t even make eye contact. Ella tried to be nice, strike up conversations and smile. But all she received in return was silence. In the end, Ella left without finishing her game. She later discovered that Bethany had terrorised the chess club after they refused to reallocate their booking of the computer room so she could use it to design a cheerleading poster. The chess members thought Ella joined their club because Bethany wanted her to, perhaps to intimidate them more. Did she want to be associated with Bethany? Ella wasn’t really sure anymore.

There was a hard shove from behind and Ella tumbled forward. She dropped her textbooks and nearly collapsed under the swinging weight of her sports bag. Ella turned around, furious and tense. A brown haired young man in a football blazer was smirking at her compromised form.

“What the hell, Eddie!” Ella snapped back, giving her boyfriend a final glare of annoyance before kneeling down to retrieve her books.

“Just playing, just playing.” Eddie said. He was still all too amused with his practical joke. Eddie, like the rest of his pack, was a jock who only cared about three things; football, partying and girls. Ella had met him during her first year as a cheerleader. They had so much fun at the start. Every weekend was a party and every day an adventure together. But as years went by, Ella grew to care about other things, like having enough grades to enroll into a good university, working toward a future career and making a positive difference in society. Eddie remained the same. Football, parties and girls were his driving force in life. He just had to pass his classes so he didn’t lose his athletic scholarship. His coach had advised Eddie to aim for A grades. But after a while, even he recognised that Eddie was a lost cause.

“Don’t you have some free fries you need to hoard or something?” Ella picked up her books and began to walk away. But Eddie was quick to react. He hovered over Ella and nudged her with his body until she backed herself against a nearby locker. Ella tilted her head and gazed into his eyes. At 5’9, Ella wasn’t really short, but next to Eddie, she felt small. Her slender frame was easily shrouded by his broad stature. With one hand over her head and the other holding her chin, Eddie leaned in for a kiss.

“I didn’t see you last night.” He said inquisitively.

“I told you, I had work.”

“Why do you work that shitty job anyway? You have money Ella, your parents are loaded.”

Ella’s smiled and watched Eddie with a teasing look. “Maybe I like being a working girl.”

“But, who likes work?”

Ella sighed and rolled her eyes. Clearly Eddie didn’t get the reference she was trying to make. She turtled her head into her shoulders and tried to wriggle her way out. A strong hand grabbed her arm and pulled her back. A stab of pain shot up Ella’s arm.

“I want to see you tonight.” There was firmness in Eddie’s voice, a sound that was still intimidating to Ella.

“I have training.”

“After training.”

“Well I’m tired after training. Coach is booking extra volleyball training around cheerleading ones. I really don’t want to do anything after. Friday is crazy busy for me, you know that.”

There was another squeeze of her arm. Eddie lips pursed and his brows furrowed. “You’re suppose to be my girlfriend, but all you do is study, train and work at your stupid job. You’re not even hanging out with Bethany and us anymore. You’re not spending time with me. Spending time with me should be the most important thing. What are you trying to play, huh? I want to see you, and I’m going to see you tonight, at the cinema. We’re going to watch Buzzsaw 5 and you will be there.”

Ella drew in a long breath and glared back at Eddie. She initially hated his control issues, and between bouts of romance she would argue with him till the world stopped spinning. But now, after two years, Ella realised it was easier just to go along with it, to listen to what he wanted. It sure was less complicated than fighting. Eventually Ella grew used to it. She would do things because it made Eddie happy, which meant he wasn’t all angry and controlling. She hated watching torture thriller films, but she would go anyway. She hated staying up late and missing out on sleep, but she held her tongue and waited while Eddie finished his gaming nights with his friends.

“Fine,” Ella groaned, “I’ll go to this stupid movie. I don’t see what’s so fun about watching someone with a bear trap on his head. It’s disgusting. Pick me up from home?”

Eddie smirked. He had gotten what he wanted, he always did. He kissed her on the forehead and moved away. “No, drive there yourself. I’m hanging out with Jack after school. I need you to give me a ride home after the movie. Movie starts at nine. Oh, bring your wallet, I spent all my allowance this week on some kick-ass headphones.”

Ella stood there and watched Eddie walk off. He high-fived a few of his friends before disappearing around a corner. At least someone’s in good spirit.

Suddenly, the sound of free fries became very enticing to Ella. She shrugged her shoulders and headed for the cafeteria. One of the perks of being Bethany Harper’s friend was the ability to cut in lines. No one dared to argue. It was a horrible abuse of social power, and Ella felt very bad for even thinking about using it.

“Line up like a normal person, stupid…” Ella muttered to herself in shame.

Stupid school, exploiting teenagers’ emotions with unhealthy greasy junk food.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:41:50 am by Melieli »

Offline MelieliTopic starter

• Your Elusive Handmaiden
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • In quiet places, reason abounds.
  • View My Rolls
Re: Redemption, Romance and Revenge : Female Seeking Writer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:51:12 pm »
Boo! I am back after a long leave of absence. Seeking to rekindle my narrative muse!

Offline Tyrus

• Non ducor, duco
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Mind first, rest later.
  • View My Rolls
Re: Redemption, Romance and Revenge : Female Seeking Writer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 05:22:47 pm »
*Shyly puts hand up*

Hi!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:05:59 pm by Tyrus »