You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 21, 2020, 11:31:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Interest Check: Night's Black Agents - AKA Spies vs Vampires  (Read 607 times)

Online clonkertinkTopic starter

• [Noob-Friendly][Systems Machine][Dapper Automaton][Pied Piper of Perverts][Duly Elected Boob Minister][Junker]
  • God
  • Addict
  • Beware, I was cursed by a wicked dice witch.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 21
Interest Check: Night's Black Agents - AKA Spies vs Vampires
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »

I am thinking of running Night's Black Agents, a game of espionage, intrigue, and supernatural horror.

The Pitch: You play ex-spies who have stumbled across a terrible secret: Vampires are real, and they pull the strings of global power from the shadows. You've gone rogue, relying on whatever resources and contacts you have left from your espionage days, in order to hunt these monsters down and drag them into the light they hate so much. It won't be easy though. The vampires have agents everywhere, in every government, corporation and criminal cartel around the globe. Trust no one.

The Details: Night's Black Agents is a roleplaying game published by Pelgrane Press, using the GUMSHOE system. The PCs skills are divided into two categories: General and Investigative.

General skills are pools of points that you can use to boost dice rolls. These are action-y skills like shooting, driving, or athletics.

Investigative skills are used to gather information, and never use dice rolls. Instead, you will always uncover vital information if you are trained in an applicable investigative skill. You may spend points from those pools to gain more detailed information that might give you alternate avenues of investigation or give you an edge against the opposition later.

Your Job: Right now, I'm just looking for general interest. Don't worry if you've never played before, I realize it's an uncommon system and I'm prepared to coach new players. If this takes off, I'll throw together a recruitment thread with specifics for character concepts.

Offline Thufir Hawat

Re: Interest Check: Night's Black Agents - AKA Spies vs Vampires
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
I've got the game, but not sure whether I want to join a game in a modern setting yet.
That said, I can at least ask you what style of play you would suggest, which has mechanical implications >:)!

Offline ReijiTabibito

• Gatecrasher
  • Lord
  • Carnite
  • There cannot be another Fall.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
I'm a simple man.

I hear NBA.

And I raise you a Double Tap.

I've got a couple of ideas for an agent character...what's your take on player input for the opposition?  (IE, Vampire/Creature types.)  As well as 'optional' rules?

Offline Norsegod1839

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
seems interesting! I shall throw my interest in right now! I've never heard of the game though! So fair warning!

Online TheSithChicken

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 12:05:49 AM »
Depending on the style of spy story and the vampires I am interested.

• [Noob-Friendly][Systems Machine][Dapper Automaton][Pied Piper of Perverts][Duly Elected Boob Minister][Junker]
  • God
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 12:10:38 AM »
Holy crap! It's a Christmas miracle! I saw the thread plummeting down the front page and figured that was the end of it.

In terms of play-style, I think I'm going to go straight up NBA. I'm going to stay away from the Burn/Mirrors/Dust/Stakes stuff, to keep it simple for everyone involved. (For those out of the loop, NBA has optional rules to evoke different tones. Dust is a low-tech, gritty style, Mirrors is about evoking further paranoia and distrust, etc.)

I'm willing to consider player input on monsters, though as an investigative horror/thriller campaign I figure a lot of the "meat" of the game comes from uncovering out just what kind of Vampires you're dealing with. The is deliberately designed so that monsters are thoroughly customizable, with variable strengths and weaknesses.

Offline ReijiTabibito

• Gatecrasher
  • Lord
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 05:37:23 AM »
That you want to leave out the 'tone' stuff for me is AOK.  The major optional rule I like to play with in my games is the Mastery rule from Double Tap - if you have a rating of 8 or higher in a General Ability (basically, if you qualify for a cherry in that ability), you can spent 1 point out of the general pool to add a second die to your roll.  You can only add one die to the roll through Mastery, and the two dice do not add together (essentially, you get to roll twice and pick the better number).  I've found it helpful for a number of things, primarily in helping ensure that characters simply don't pick a handful of General Abilities and just dump all their points into that.

• God
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
Double Tap is one of the few books I don’t have for the game and I’m hesitant to bring in anything from books I haven’t had time to peruse myself. I’ve had games spiral out of control for precisely that reason.

Offline ReijiTabibito

• Gatecrasher
  • Lord
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
I can get you a look at the book, if you want to read it over.  PM me.

EDIT (for no 2x post): Where are we on this one?  It's been almost a week since anything was last said here...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:31:15 PM by ReijiTabibito »

Offline Thufir Hawat

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
It seems we're at five people expressing more or less cautious interest. Maybe the prospective GM should let us know more about his plans?