You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 18, 2018, 12:26:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Best place to start learning about DnD?  (Read 129 times)

Offline CynicTopic starter

Best place to start learning about DnD?
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Hello! I've been looking around the forum, and I noticed that quite a few people like structuring their RP in a kind of Dungeons and Dragons game format (although they all use different rules/formats). I am very unfamiliar with this format. Is there any place where I can go start learning more about it?

Offline HairyHeretic

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Best place to start learning about DnD?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
A lot of system games use different set ups, so the format for D&D games will be different to other systems. If you're interested in a particular system, you'll probably want to refer to that specifically. I'm sure any players or GMs who play that one will be able to help with your questions.

There are also a variety of threads in the GMs corner that may already have answers to some of your questions.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to ask away.

Offline wander

• Cheeky Brit Next Door // Creator of Wander Worlds
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Nurgle's Buttbringer
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
I like system games. They give a random yet fair element to things that could possibly be god-modded, such as combat. The dice don't lie and it quells arguments of 'that should have hit you' or 'my character should be able to avoid that' before they occur. They're also a pretty fun element to add to role-playing games, putting the 'game' into the term.

As Hairy mentioned, there's a fair few systems out there, though the most popular on-site atm tend to be D&D (usually 5th edition) and Pathfinder. Both have websites, called SRDs, which have most the rules for free reference which makes them popular as people then don't need to own a specific book or shell out for one to play a game's premise that interests them. Googling 'D&D SRD' or 'Pathfinder SRD' will show you what I mean more.

Really though the only thing different to a system rpg and a freeform collaborative writing rp is the dicerolls added in for when players attempt actions. Usually the GM of the game dictates a difficulty or specific number to roll for the action to succeed and that can and will dictate how things may go in a given scene.

That's a general overview, I'm not sure if I grossly oversimplified that for you or not, though if you have a more specific question about something you don't understand, I'd be happy to answer anything I can also.

Offline CynicTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
A lot of system games use different set ups, so the format for D&D games will be different to other systems. If you're interested in a particular system, you'll probably want to refer to that specifically. I'm sure any players or GMs who play that one will be able to help with your questions.

There are also a variety of threads in the GMs corner that may already have answers to some of your questions.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to ask away.
I like system games. They give a random yet fair element to things that could possibly be god-modded, such as combat. The dice don't lie and it quells arguments of 'that should have hit you' or 'my character should be able to avoid that' before they occur. They're also a pretty fun element to add to role-playing games, putting the 'game' into the term.

As Hairy mentioned, there's a fair few systems out there, though the most popular on-site atm tend to be D&D (usually 5th edition) and Pathfinder. Both have websites, called SRDs, which have most the rules for free reference which makes them popular as people then don't need to own a specific book or shell out for one to play a game's premise that interests them. Googling 'D&D SRD' or 'Pathfinder SRD' will show you what I mean more.

Really though the only thing different to a system rpg and a freeform collaborative writing rp is the dicerolls added in for when players attempt actions. Usually the GM of the game dictates a difficulty or specific number to roll for the action to succeed and that can and will dictate how things may go in a given scene.

That's a general overview, I'm not sure if I grossly oversimplified that for you or not, though if you have a more specific question about something you don't understand, I'd be happy to answer anything I can also.

Thanks, I'll be sure to go check it out.

Offline eBadger

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:32:48 AM »
If you're interested, I'm putting together a tutorial/group learning exercise/learning adventure.  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=276901.0