You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 18, 2018, 11:25:06 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Computer Advice - Protection  (Read 215 times)

Offline MaverickKaneTopic starter

Computer Advice - Protection
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
Hey, I am looking in to buying a new computer and before I get it, I want a fairly decent protection program internet security against virus, adware, hacking. I was hoping that someone can maybe suggest something? The only thing I have ever used is Norton or McFee. Mind you, I am on a budget, so I'd prefer something in a reasonable range for 2+ computers.

Offline NightLux

Re: Computer Advice - Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
Most of the "defense" regarding these things is you yourself.  Beware of sketchy links; make sure you get your installers from the actual websites, not repackaged ones; etc.

I only ever run Microsoft Security Essentials.  Its free and I've never had any problems.  Then again, I also reformat about once a year so that also makes sure things don't go sideways.  There's a sticky at the top that also goes into more detail.

Offline MaverickKaneTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Oh I didn't see the stciky, thanks for pointing it out and...when you say reformat? what do you mean?

Offline NightLux

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »
Oh I didn't see the stciky, thanks for pointing it out and...when you say reformat? what do you mean?

Total reinstall of windows.  I have three drives - two SSD's (one for windows, another for Steam games I want lightning fast, then a big 3 TB HDD for data).  I make sure everything is on the big drive I want to save, pull it out of the tower, then entirely reformat the other two and install windows.