You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 06:25:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Is all writing actually like this?  (Read 290 times)

Offline MymarTopic starter

Is all writing actually like this?
« on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:44 PM »
I've been working on my musical writing skills lately as it's been a long time since I've done it regularly, and I finally have a decent way of accomplishing my musical goals now. I've noticed that I will start an idea either on my piano, or in the program with the idea of doing one thing, but it will inevitably turn into something completely different. For instance the first thing I started I wanted to sound like a heavy metal song, but wound up sounding more like a rock song written for a video game in the 90s. Do all writers of all kinds of art go through this?

Offline Dallas

• Absolute Equality & Compassion Advocate / 'He Who Makes Games' / The 'Twisted Crow'
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • "Don't push your luck..."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Is all writing actually like this?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
In relation to writing fiction? Well, to speak for myself, here... I think I can say it could be relative. I mean, I remember constantly writing drafts for a story and many of them came out as if it were written like a screenplay or a script in a video game. The story contents and formula were all there, but the presentation was simply... different. Maybe or maybe not quite what you could be referring to?

I couldn't say every writer has this problem (as I am only one man), but I feel like I can safely say that I do. Or I can relate to moments that are comparable to that, I suppose? And I'm willing to bet I'm not alone, either. I have some theories on how this can happen but... nothing that I feel would be sound. Just... speculation and hypothesis, really.  :-)

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »
I find it is. My writing is often several little bits and pieces that are squished together with time to create these infinitesimal points of light. :P

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
Sometimes ideas take on a life of their own.  I once tried to write a character that (as a representative of the 'Spirit' element) was supposed to be androgynous and somewhat reserved/aloof.  He ended up being the biggest flirt and prankster in the whole story!

Offline Dallas

• Absolute Equality & Compassion Advocate / 'He Who Makes Games' / The 'Twisted Crow'
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • "Don't push your luck..."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:48 AM »
One theory on how I do this myself is due to my range of interests. I like video games, I like tabletop roleplaying and I also love movies and stage plays. While I also like books, it can sometimes be difficult to control how I visualize the story in my mind. Sometimes I can think I'm writing something ideal for a novel, then before I know it the story is practically writing itself in the format of a stage script. Perhaps because I visualize a scene in how it could be for a play (for some reason). I wouldn't know how that would translate in terms of writing music, but I wonder if it might be similar. As in... perhaps asking yourself where you picture this music? Hmmmm.

I don't know... but it's an interesting thought on how this happens, either way. :-)

Online RedRose

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
Sometimes my writing just flows in the right direction, and sometimes I have to make an effort to keep the character in-character. Of course sometimes I actually change my mind and decide the new direction will be better anyway. :D