You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 10, 2016, 10:12:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: I shudder because of Shudder!  (Read 158 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

I shudder because of Shudder!
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:34:02 AM »
... Shudder.com, to be exact  ;)

For those of you that haven't heard, Shudder is a new VOD / streaming site focusing on horror movies. It's currently in Beta and it's possible to apply for an invite and get a 2 months of free access.

I'm tempted to try the site out, but I wonder: the site requires me to set up an account, which includes supplying the site with my credit card or PayPal details. So, it looks like they'd be able to start charging me when the trial period comes to its end. In theory, I could cancel my account before that happens... but the procedure for cancelling the account is "e-mail us". What if I e-mail them, but they start pretending that the e-mail got lost? I've heard of some sites that do that?

Admittedly, Shudder isn't that costly ($4.99 a month), but money's a bit tight for me these days. So, I'm not too keen on the idea of paying them indefinitely...

Overall, what do you think? Does the site sound legit, or should I watch out for trouble?

Offline Tinkertoy

• He hit me and it felt like a kiss.
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • I'm your jazz singer and you're my cult leader.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
Re: I shudder because of Shudder!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:57:03 AM »
I've actually signed up and it's a great site. Its beautifully laid out and the selection is pretty good. It is just in Beta as you said so there's only just over two hundred and fifty movies on it right now and being a massive horror dork, I have seen a great number of them. Its really nice mix of mainstream, indie, non-American and classics and I am actually quite excited to see what happens as they continue adding to it.

I believe to be as safe as Netflix since it is owned and operated by AMC. The five bucks a month (or fifty a year) is an absolute steal and I am definitely happy to shell out five bucks a month to have this at my disposal. The only crappy thing about it is that it's a US only site at the moment, for those of us who are not in the US there are ways around that with various blockers and add ons and all that fun jazz. BUT for those horrophiles in the US its also available on smart phones and tablets, so...SCORE!

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
Wait. It's US only? Crap... I didn't know that  :-(

Offline Tinkertoy

• He hit me and it felt like a kiss.
  • Lady
  • Enchanted
  • I'm your jazz singer and you're my cult leader.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:30 AM »
Yep, it is, but I use Hola as an add on on Chrome and it works like a charm