”My million Twitter followers aren't my fans. They're my pawns!”
Between 1991 and 1994, a company called Avco Pharmaceuticals created a drug called Apremilide to assist with morning sickness for pregnant women. The drug, funded by a then small hedge fund and created by a group of researchers who were new to Avco, was a modest success before being discontinued for more cost efficient drugs. Used by approximately 75,000 mothers in the US and Canada, it should have been a footnote, and it was, until the mid 2000s when the children of the women who taken Apremilide were in full blown puberty.
As it would turn out, the vast majority of children whose parents had taken Apremilide would have incredible intellect and prodigal talents…but also develop serious mental health issues as teenagers. These ranged from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, to Antisocial Personality Disorder (sociopathy), to full blown paranoid schizophrenia. When the now multi-billion dollar Avco discovered this, and saw evidence linking Apremilide with several suicides and murders committed by these new mentally disturbed individuals, it began a ruthless destruction of any trace of the drug. They were only partially successful. While nearly any record of Apremilide has been destroyed and every reporter or inspector who knew about it had been paid off, mislead, or killed there were some loose ends.
For instance, the mysterious hedge fund that had supported the research had vanished without a trace. As did the group of researchers who created the drug. Additionally, nearly every Apremilide child reported delusions of magical (or psychic) powers. Avoc’s “cleaners” kept an eye on the situation until one of them discovered a certain Apremilide child, now dubbed “Scanners” by Avoc executives based on the recurring claim of psychic abilities.
Lisbeth Fares was born in 1993 to upper middle class parents, one a fashion photographer and the other a makeup artist for models. Her mother, Tracy, used Apremilide but never linked it to her youngest daughter’s… oddities. By the time little Lisbeth was sixteen she had graduated high school, due to being an intellectual prodigy, but rather than going on to college she worked as a “social media” consultant to the fashion magazine her parents worked on. Her vlog, Lizzy’s Fashion Spot, became a large internet sensation and by the time she was twenty one she was a major name in the fashion world with a platform across social media (Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter etc.).
In reality, Lisbeth is an incredibly powerful Scanner, perhaps the most powerful one alive. So powerful, in fact, she has been able to embed psychic commands not only in her videos to her “fans” (though she prefers the term “pawns”) but her digital pictures and even her tweets and facebook messages as well. Now, hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of her pawns have trigger words buried deep in their subconscious waiting to be used as part of her master plan for a huge power grab.
Additionally, at her mansion (which Lisbeth calls the Fares Palace) she keeps dozens of personal slaves whose minds she plays with for both utility and amusement. Most of these are “Bishops” (non-Scanners) though she has gone to great lengths to find a number of “Rooks” (Scanners like herself). With her power base growing she is slowly, but surely, Lisbeth is becoming an incredible threat to the freedom of not just North America, but perhaps the entire world…
This RP is not
for the faint of heart! Lisbeth is a sociopathic sexually sadistic narcissist who dreams of world conquest. She doesn’t see anything wrong with murdering or torturing people in incredibly gruesome ways any more than a child would with purposely breaking dolls or crushing ants. Because it’s based on the work of David Cronenberg, particularly Scanners and Videodrome, there will be killing (of NPCs), mental torture, true slavery, psychopathy, and violence. There will also be frighteningly evil dominating sex and LOTS of high fashion as well. Please note!
[/i] I’m not looking for hideously detailed descriptions of death, gore, and mayhem! In fact, I specifically detest such things. The idea is that the violence is something one would see on a TV show that was rated MA on cable as opposed to a Rob Zombie horror film. Even that, I’d prefer we keep the gruesome details to a minimum. The idea here is to have fun with a somewhat campy and INCREDIBLY sexy villainess.
Possible roles for YC could be:
- One of Lisbeth’s body slaves (a “Bishop”). This character would suffer under her very cruel hand but with her mental powers, and the fact that she has a killer body, means the rewards would be incredible…
- An allied Scanner (a “Rook). This character could be Lisbeth’s “Queen” (her right hand henchwoman/henchman keeping with the chess theme) or it could be a disturbed young recruit. Expect for YC to go through a tough “trial period.”
- A member of The Conspiracy or Avoc Pharmaceutical “special security group.” There was a lot more to the creation of Apremilide and the Scanners than even Lisbeth realizes. The exact nature of The Conspiracy and Avoc’s role in it is up in the air but this sort of game would lend far more to those who like conspiratorial thriller fiction (Robert Ludlum, Frederick Forsythe). Expect PLENTY of sexy elements though!
- A Scanner that wants to actively fight Lisbeth’s growing control. This would obviously be more adversarial and could even verge on an RPG (though we do not
have to go this route necessarily). Mental health would be an issue for YC in this case (nearly every Scanner has serious mental illness) but a duel between Scanners would be an incredibly exciting and interesting battle to write!
- One of Lisbeth’s “pawns” that receives a trigger word. She (or possibly he) will have to learn how to be a puppet whose strings are being pulled by Lisbeth… and learn about just how hard she is able to tug.
- Something not listed here at all that really intrigues you.
LisbethTwo of Lisbeth's "Trigger Videos" for her pawns/fans: