You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 26, 2016, 02:40:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

The Elliquian Herald & Post
October & November 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Pathfinder D&D: So, has anybody tried out Midgard?  (Read 296 times)

Offline SkynetTopic starter

Pathfinder D&D: So, has anybody tried out Midgard?
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
Midgard Campaign Setting is a product designed by the same creators of Kobold Quarterly.  It's a fantasy setting with some unorthodox twists.  It draws quite a bit upon Central and Eastern European myths, but is a very large setting full of stuff.  Do we have any fans on Elliquiy?

I recently bought it, and it has some unique flairs which set it apart from the other D&D settings out there.

For one, the world is flat, encircled by a massive world-serpent deity known as Veles.  Dragons are not just monsters; they live as rulers in the mighty Mharoti Empire, an aggressively expansionist nation.  The fantasy races are non-standard, with gnomes and halflings pushed to the sidelines in favor of minotaur, kobold, machine-people known as gearforged, and dragonkin.  Dwarves and elves are still around, though.

Their twists on the existing races were good.  The gnomes once made a pact with infernal outsiders to protect them from Baba Yaga's wrath, and thus have a reputation as diabolists and dark mages.

The elves are split into three groups: plains-dwelling nomadic Windrunner Elves, Shadow Elves who live among the Unseelie Fey, and the Arbonesse River Elves.

The Gods and pantheons are different.  They're less set in stone and knowable.  You see, the Gods did not create the world; he earliest among them were mortals slew a mighty beast and found a way to ascend to divinity in its blood.  A war between the deities occurred, and Veles eventually stepped in to avoid open warfare.  He encouraged them to wear masks so that none will be able to easily identify the others.  This creates a confusing and labyrinthine politicking, where deities masquerade as each other, and create new religious identities in other civilizations as a way to covertly gain new followers.  Religion thus is not so clear-cut in comparison to traditional D&D.

Overall it maintains quite a bit of D&D traditions, but departs from it enough to feel new and fresh.  I'm really enjoying it.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Pathfinder D&D: So, has anybody tried out Midgard?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but ironically Midgard was the original name for my Alabastra setting (still working on it, prestige classes are hard).

I liked Alabastra better. :)

I can definitely see the Eastern European and Scandinavian stuff though.

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
I am pretty picky about my Fantasy settings.  If they stray too far from the standard (yeah, good luck defining that) it actually turns me off.  It is odd because I really do appreciate creativity and applaud any artist going outside the box.  Just for my role playing games...I prefer something easy enough to relate to.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
I'm more for the system as it works with the setting.  I was looking over Midgard, but seeing as I no longer have any 3.x stuff (Had to throw it all out due to bed bugs *shudder*) I can't justify spending money on it, sadly.  Looked neat, mind you.

Offline SkynetTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »
Well, there's a conversion for the AGE System in the Index.

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »
I have to rebuy that box set too.

I used to have 15 milk crates full of RPG stuff, now...  I'm down to 3.