As long since promised, this is my tentative posting for a 4th edition D&D game. My book FINALLY arrived earlier today, and I spent the evening poring over my PHB, and plan to move onto the DMG and MM in the next few days.
That being said, I'd like to run a game, test out my knowledge of the rules in an actual environment, and have some fun along the way. This will be a small party, 3-5 players. Some D&D experience is expected, and, obviously, a copy of the books (.pdf or hardcover) is required.
The first, and most important question, though, is what to play. I do NOT want to start at first level; it's been done to hell and back, between the previews and KotS... I want to see how higher level gameplay runs, so all of the games I suggest will start at at least 5th level, though go no higher than 17th. I don't want to touch epic, not yet.
Also, if you're familiar with World of Warcraft, some of these ideas might sound... familiar. I'm good, but I can't create a bunch of adventures out of whole cloth on the fly. Besides, the WoW bosses translate to 4e encounters really nicely.
1. The Haunted Mine (Mid-Heroic): An old, recently abandoned mine has had a number of strange happenings, lately; strange lights, figures seen lurking in the darkness, disappearances. Rumors of an evil that might threaten the land for miles around lurking in its depths have called heroes forth.
2. Castle in the Forest (High-Heroic): Legends say that, many years ago, the mad wizard Argual conducted bizarre experiments in his hilltop castle, deep in the the woods. The castle lay abandoned for many years, and a community grew up around it, but in recent months, things have been seen within the castle, and strange monsters have stalked the woods. Are you brave enough to face the mad wizard's lair?
3. Cursed Tower (Low-Paragon): The land around the nameless tower has been cursed for centuries; ghosts wander the land, howling for vengance and the blood of the living. Stories of even darker, more twisted things within have been rumored for years... along with legendary treasures.
4. The Dragon's Aerie (Mid-Paragon): High atop the Wyrmsmoke Mountains lies the lair of a powerful black dragon. For years, he's been collecting the local tribes, assembling their best warriors, and preparing to launch a war against the human lands. Can you penetrate his lair and end his threat... before it's too late?
5. Temple of the Blood God (High Paragon): The prophecies are beginning to come true, and the signs of the end times draw near. In the ruins of an ancient empire, powerful priests work a forgotten ritual to resurrect a god of blood and slaughter, who threatens all the people of this world. He nearly destroyed the world the last time he came into it... will he succeed now?