Table Coding...???

Started by Suiko, January 09, 2013, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suiko

I've tried to use the table coding in my OOs and Request threads but have never been able to figure out how it works. I look and try to insert the right bits in the right coding but... its so confusing!
Which puts a column and which puts a row? And how do you put more in? And... Help?

*Hangs his head*
Tables are scary... >>
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

ebpohmr

I'm no expert, but the tags are as follows, using <> instead of []

<table>        starts making the table
<tr>             starts a new row of the table
<td>            starts a new cell within the row
</td>           closes the cell
</tr>            ends the row
</table>      ends the table

You may also wish to make use of a table BBcode generating tool, such as this. Sorry I can't be of more use, but I am still figuring out the capabilities of BBcode myself!

Suiko

Okay... but... What's a cell?

*Feels rather stupid* Is it the box where text or whatever is?
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

ebpohmr

Quote from: Khoraz on January 09, 2013, 08:50:58 AM
Okay... but... What's a cell?

*Feels rather stupid* Is it the box where text or whatever is?

Don't feel stupid, I was just in 'bad teacher' mode ;)

Sample 2x2 Table

This would be the top-left cornerAnd this is the top right
Here we have the bottom-left cornerAnd here is the bottom right

Look at the table above. The code (again using <> instead of [] ) to produce something similar is shown below, with explanations of each tag included inside (( )):

CodeExplanation
<table> ((This tells the editor to draw a table and include everything until it sees </table>))
<tr>((This tells the editor to add a row to the table and include everything in the row until it see's the </tr> tag))
<td>This would be the top-left corner</td>((This tells the editor to add a cell/text block to row 1, the contents are everything before </td>))
<td>And this is the top right</td>((This tells the editor to add a second cell/text block on the same row, contents before </td>))
</tr>((This tells the editor to end row 1))
<tr>((This tells the editor to start row 2))
<td>Here we have the bottom-left corner</td>((This tells the editor to add a cell/text block to row 2. Same rules as before.))
<td>And here is the bottom right</td>((This adds a second cell/text block to row 2. Rules as above.))
</tr>((This ends row 2)
</table> ((This ends the table))

Does that help? You can always quote this post in a new window to compare the formatting to the result! (Thanks for the tip Oniya!)

Suiko

That helps, thank you ^^

I don't really understand why the tr bits are there but I shall just accept it and try again.
Thanks vry much. Hopefully I can do... something... Ehem.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Oniya

The <tr> </tr> bits mark off rows.  The <td> </td> bits mark off blocks in the row.

If you quote the game list post in my A/A's, you can see how I made a table to keep my 'Owed' column all nice and even.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Suiko

Thanks Onion ^^
I'll have a look...
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -