You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 04:24:56 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: RPG = ???  (Read 1883 times)

Offline MacheteTopic starter

RPG = ???
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
This could, very well, belong in Help.  However, I'm posting it here because I'm providing the info rather than asking for it.

Everyone knows the RPG is a Soviet- or Russian-built weapon depending on the generation of the weapon.  Thus, the acronym is romanized Russian, not English.  In Russian RPG is short for Ручной противотанковый гранатомет (Ruchnoĭ protivotankovyĭ granatomet), meaning hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher.  However, English-speakers, at least tend to transpose RPG as the acronym for rocket-propelled grenade, which would have been реактивная граната (ryeaktivnaya granata; RNG?).

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: RPG = ???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »
Yooooou were watching the Military Channel last night, weren't you!  ('Cause I added that bit of trivia to the StoreHouse last night. ;D )

Of course, you realize that gamers have to be very careful discussing their hobbies in airports now.  'Hey, I've got a new RPG with me - man, you should see how it does damage!'

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
I once knew a man who serviced industrial lead acid batteries at coal mines.  He and his boss were having lunch and discussing a delivery of acid he was going to be making to a client that afternoon.  Two plain clothes detectives overheard the conversation and stopped them in the parking lot to discuss the situation. :D

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
This could, very well, belong in Help.  However, I'm posting it here because I'm providing the info rather than asking for it.

Everyone knows the RPG is a Soviet- or Russian-built weapon depending on the generation of the weapon.  Thus, the acronym is romanized Russian, not English.  In Russian RPG is short for Ручной противотанковый гранатомет (Ruchnoĭ protivotankovyĭ granatomet), meaning hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher.  However, English-speakers, at least tend to transpose RPG as the acronym for rocket-propelled grenade, which would have been реактивная граната (ryeaktivnaya granata; RNG?).
That's probably right, but I mean, it's probably just an idiom thing, or a poor translation. I mean either way it works the same when you pull the trigger.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
I think it's more like what they call a 'backronym', which is where you start with a word and come up with the 'meaning' later.  Classic examples are SOS (does not mean 'Save Our Ship/Sailor/Souls, but was chosen for ease of transmission), or the joke of FORD meaning 'Fix or repair daily' (or even 'First on race day'), or the more recent contribution from NASA:  Combined Operational Load-Bearing External Resistance Treadmill

Offline alxnjsh

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
The translation of Russian to English is often an interesting issue. Take for example one of the most famous words English speakers associate with Russian - "comrade." This isn't a Russian word at all. Russian for comrade is "товариш" (to-var-eesh).

Another example, when Russia was the Soviet Union people would often say C-C-C-P...using the Roman letters when in fact in Cyrillic these letters more accurately would be S-S-S-R (pronounced Es-Es-Es-Air).

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
I'm not sure that the Americans portraying Russians as saying 'comrade' think that the Russians would be using that word and not their native term. 

(Of course, I don't know that the stereotype of Russians calling everyone товариш is necessarily accurate either, and there are probably still a few people that think that all you need to do to learn French is plug your nose and add 'Aw-haw-haw!' or 'No?' to the end of every sentence.  Probably more than a few.  Oh, hell.)

Offline NotoriusBEN

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
I think that it just occurred as a ''happy accident'' or like Oniya said with the Acronym / BACKronym occuring before the explaination.

There is a long standing unrecorded and probably unsubstantiated history of military forces substituting 3+ syllable words with only 3 or 4 letters, and pronounced with one syllable.

I've not served in the armed forces or any life or death situation, so I'm probably using a lot of supposition. I would think that a serviceman wants to convey as much information as possible as quickly as possible to his fellow soldiers using short, crisp words that can be heard clearly in the exchange of weapons fire.

Screaming "RPG! Get Down!" conveys what you mean a lot quicker than "Ruchnoĭ protivotankovyĭ gran-" *boom from exploding grenade*

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm not sure that the Americans portraying Russians as saying 'comrade' think that the Russians would be using that word and not their native term. 

(Of course, I don't know that the stereotype of Russians calling everyone товариш is necessarily accurate either, and there are probably still a few people that think that all you need to do to learn French is plug your nose and add 'Aw-haw-haw!' or 'No?' to the end of every sentence.  Probably more than a few.  Oh, hell.)

You mean Canadians don't actually say "Eh" at the end of every sentence? ;D

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »

Screaming "RPG! Get Down!" conveys what you mean a lot quicker than "Ruchnoĭ protivotankovyĭ gran-" *boom from exploding grenade*

This.

I'm not sure, but North Dakotans do not, in fact, consider 'Don'tcha know' to be punctuation.  ;)

Offline alxnjsh

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

Point taken.

I heard that's how the country got its name...C-eh-N-eh-D-eh.

Offline Shjade

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »
I'm not sure, but North Dakotans do not, in fact, consider 'Don'tcha know' to be punctuation.  ;)
Oh yah?

Offline LunarSage

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

Well H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!  Burst my bubble, why dont'cha?  :P

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
Ayep.

Offline Elkay

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »

This, definitely this. Makes life so much easier, especially in the military.

Greeks also love acronyms.

Offline Zakharra

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
I think that it just occurred as a ''happy accident'' or like Oniya said with the Acronym / BACKronym occuring before the explaination.

There is a long standing unrecorded and probably unsubstantiated history of military forces substituting 3+ syllable words with only 3 or 4 letters, and pronounced with one syllable

Radar.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Radar.

Still shorter than 'radio detection and ranging'. :)

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Still shorter than 'radio detection and ranging'. :)
For a brief time they were called Y-rangers, just like Sonar was called the new-model aquaphone, but they're actually two different technologies. :)

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
Wait, they're not called 'the boopy thing' and 'the pingy thing'? ???

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
Nope.  It's the bleeps, the sweeps and the creeps.

I'm having trouble with the radar, sir

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »
Are you sure it is not the machine that goes ping?